Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JerryYeagley23

Game Thread - Iowa vs. YOUR Indiana Hoosiers (2/13 @8pm ET on BTN)

I didn't know a thing about the post game press conference nor the question asked of DeVonte Green until I got on here 5 minutes ago.  I read above some knucklehead called Doyel "a piece of sh*t."   (This board is really going downhill..mods, cut this crap off, please)  

First of all....he's not.  At all.  One of the best and most vulnerable and completely transparent human beings I know...and I do know him.  He's done more good for people here and in Cincinnati that 99% of people here or anywhere; and he's been through a personal hell I wouldn't wish on anyone.  Complete lack of knowledge and a weak, gutless, chicken sh*t move on your part, whoever made that comment.  Same knucklehead said "convince me I'm wrong."  No....you need to check yourself and stop hiding behind a keyboard.   Get out there and in the open like he is, put yourself at risk, do the hard things.  Write the hard stories like he does; then you can judge.  Until then?  You're a punk and that's an idiotic statement/request.    Stop it.   

Second of all, I don't know if Doyel asked the question or if he didn't.  But why is everyone bent about it being asked?   I'm more upset why he hasn't been repeatedly asked by his coaches.    It's more than fair having watched the same thing from him for 4 years, and the same people complaining about player development are the ones complaining about Green being bluntly asked why he hasn't.  Awkward?  Maybe.  But Green's 22.  Probably less than 3 months from being asked a whole lot of hard questions by a people a whole lot more important than a newspaper columnist, and he needs to have a better answer for his maddening swings except "inconsistency."

DeVonte Green owes HIMSELF an answer to that question.  He owes his coaches and team mates an answer to that question.  Gregg Doyel (or someone) asked a very hard, awkward, and yet very fair question of a young man who should be able to answer it because he's now over 100 games into the same pattern.  Some want repercussions for a guy who asked a hard question??   How soft are you?   More questions like that need to be asked of people, and especially of soon-to-be college graduates.  "Convince me I'm wrong."

9 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

When is it okay in your world to publicly call someone you don't know "a piece of sh*t?"   Help me.  You know better than that....I know you know better than that.  There's a line and this crosses it.  Knucklehead and "piece of sh*t" are very different.

The second point I made is simply that I don't have a problem with the question.  And I don't.

Edit : perhaps I should have said "knucklehead statement" or something like that, but I would hope you'd understand the overall point.

Sounds like he's your friend and that's fine, but in defense of others I think the whole asking Mrs. Crean about Stevens weighs heavily in their opinion. I didn't see the post-game presser so I can't speak one way or another.

I would also just add that plenty of times when people criticize the players the common defense is "they are just kids". If it was as confrontational as it's made to sound here, then I'm of the opinion the way it was asked to Green sort of falls into that camp (although to be honest I don't think the players are above criticism). Again I didn't see it or hear it so can't speak to it one way or the other. Slow day for me as some other team introduced a show stopping bug into the code base so more active than I intended to be here, but just thought I'd speak up as you were coming out a little hot this morning.

Great win last night and hope the team can build off this and sustain any sort of momentum gained as they hit the home stretch of the regular season.

Reminds me of the time IU beat Butler and he approached Crean's wife and daughter to bring up the possiblity of Crean getting replaced by Brad Stevens..
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2014/12/20/doyel-for-a-day-hoosiers-quiet-the-brad-stevens-noise/20705131/

Didn’t he highlight Romeo’s parents’ bankruptcy too? Sorry back on topic...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Doyel was unprofessional? Shocking. Wasn't the first time, and definitely won't be the last time. Dude loves to make everything about him. Like Dakich, if you have to act like a tool to get attention you're not doing it right.

Doyel is just an a$$hat and always has. And what better way to get clicks? If you ask a player a questions and the player responds saying he doesn’t understand the question and to elaborate, as a professional your response shouldn’t be, “no I want you to elaborate,” because you want to be a child and make a scene.

I will say that Bruiser had a great game plan on how to play Iowa. Let Garza get his but shut down everyone else. Smith was fantastic on Wisekamp. People sometimes ask what he brings, well last night he earned his money. Knowing Bruiser, I'm sure he celebrated with a nice glass of wine. 

Good to hear something positive about the assistants. Appreciate it

1 hour ago, Bobman1 said:

Didn’t he highlight Romeo’s parents’ bankruptcy too? Sorry back on topic...

But people keep subscribing for what reason I have no clue.  Haven't missed that rag for a decade.  I do remember that I literally had to cancel my credit card to get them to stop charging me though.

29 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Hey all - a little latitude? Sure.

But let’s not turn a game discussion thread into a name calling fest. So what’s done is done, and let’s move on now.

Thanks 

Did my original reply get deleted? I didn't even swear or name call or anything. Can you please help me out, a DM would be fine, I'm not sure how I broke the rules if I did.

24 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I will say that Bruiser had a great game plan on how to play Iowa. Let Garza get his but shut down everyone else. Smith was fantastic on Wisekamp. People sometimes ask what he brings, well last night he earned his money. Knowing Bruiser, I'm sure he celebrated with a nice glass of wine. 

Of course I understand the frustrations many have with Smith. But last night I really found myself hoping he sticks around next year, because you need a guy who can mark the Wieskamps, Livers, and Henrys of the world. Sometimes it takes awhile for a guy to put all that tantalizing potential into a powerhouse whole.

He’s a much better fit at the 4, or if he’s at the 3 next to a 4/5 combo with at least one guy who’s a threat to hit a triple.

Really intrigued to see how the lineups look on Sunday. Wondering if Green will start obviously, but more so how the teams matchup. Michigan typically runs a 3 guard lineup with Franz, DeJulius and Zavier, with Livers and Teske at 4 and 5, and I can’t really imagine Livers guarding Trayce. One team’s gonna have to budge probably.

Really intrigued to see how the lineups look on Sunday. Wondering if Green will start obviously, but more so how the teams matchup. Michigan typically runs a 3 guard lineup with Franz, DeJulius and Zavier, with Livers and Teske at 4 and 5, and I can’t really imagine Livers guarding Trayce. One team’s gonna have to budge probably.

Well last night helped prove how much better the offense can be when 2 of our 3 bigs aren’t on the floor at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

22 hours ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Come on HT. Plenty of games to hate on DG, but this has been one of his better games. Playing D and shooting well. Take a day off. 

Yeah. You’re right. He dribbled into traffic late when it wasn’t needed and it set me off. He played a great game. 

DeVonte Green isn’t above criticism.  Gregg Doyle isn’t either.  He worded his question very poorly and then followed it up in a very childish manner.  Might be just me, but if you are going after someone for being inconsistent, it’s not a good look to do so in a manner inconsistent with how a professional journalist would act.

On 2/13/2020 at 11:40 PM, JerryYeagley23 said:

Been a low couple weeks, but consider this:

Saturday there’s a real possibility 1) ILL lose at Rutgers, and 2) Mich St. gets beat by Maryland.

Which would mean:

Entering our game at Michigan on Sunday, IU would be 1-game back in the loss column from a tie for 3rd place in the B1G. 

Bump.