Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUWBB @ Illinois - 2/13/20 @ 8:00 ET

Since I'm on a 1-game winning streak I'll get Thursday's game thread up and running.  Hopefully, Thursday won't be anywhere close to a repeat of our nail biter at Nebraska.  

No. 20 Indiana will go for win number 20 of the season when it travels to Illinois on Thursday night. Tipoff at State Farm Center is set for 8 p.m. ET on BTN+

NO. 20/23 INDIANA (19-6, 9-4 B1G) AT ILLINOIS (11-12, 2-10 B1G)
Thursday, February 13, 2020 • 8 p.m. ET
State Farm Center • Champaign, Ill.  
Broadcast: BTN+
Radio: whcc105.com (Greg Murray)
Live Stats: Sidearm
Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

ABOUT THE COACHES

Indiana Illinois
Teri Moren Nancy Fahey
Career Record: 321-121 (17th Season) Career Record: 756-175 (34th Season)
Indiana Record: 122-72 (6th Season) Illinois Record: 30-54 (3rd Season)

ABOUT THE FIGHTING ILLINI
Illinois is coming off its second Big Ten win over the weekend when it defeated Penn State on the road. Redshirt junior guard Petra Holešínská is averaging 14.9 points per game while freshman forward Kennedy Myles is putting up 9.5 points and a team-high 8.7 rebounds per game. The Illini are averaging 63.5 points per game this season and shooting 37.6 percent from the floor.

SERIES HISTORY
Indiana leads 42-30

LAST MEETING
1/6/20 – W, 83-42 (Bloomington, Ind.)

NOTES

• The Hoosiers will look to make history on Thursday night as it does for win number 20 of the season. It would be the fastest to 20 wins in program history, notching 20 wins in 26 games. The previous best was 29 games in the 2008-09 and 2016-17 seasons.
  • Redshirt junior guard Ali Patberg was named a top 10 finalist for the Nancy Lieberman award and one of 30 on the 2020 Citizen's Naismith Trophy Midseason Team. She is the team's leading scorer with 13.6 points per game and 5.3 assists per game this season while scoring in double figures a team-high 19 times.
  • IU is coming off a 57-53 win at Nebraska on Sunday. Building a 25-point lead in the first half, the Huskers would make a run late in the game but a reverse layup by sophomore guard Grace Berger and a pair at the line from junior guard Jaelynn Penn was the icing on the cake for Indiana.
  • Indiana and Illinois meet for the second time this season on Thursday night. The Hoosiers extend their win streak in the series to nine-games when it defeated the Fighting Illini, 83-42, on Jan. 6 in Bloomington.

UP NEXT
The Hoosiers return home to host Ohio State on Sunday afternoon. Tipoff at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall is set for 2 p.m. ET as they celebrate National Girls and Women in Sports Day.

Got to win this big no question but we probably will

Illinois and Penn St are by far the worst teams in Big Ten and everyone is going into Champaign and winning by 20 and we need to do same or close. Really we should not lose more then one more game (either at minnesota or michigan who are battling for tournament) and have an easy schedule last five games of conference play.

We should get the 4 seed in Big Ten Tourney barring a collapse but to get a 4 and NOT 5 seed in NCAA tourney we are going to have to take out Maryland in Big Ten tourney or pray to god Iowa somehow wins conference and take them on instead which is possible. As I said at time, that collapse against NW is most likely going to be difference between a really good season and a great season hosting tourney games. Upon further review we still were NOT winning Big Ten over Maryland regardless, but we certainly would be third in conference with us a 4 seed in NCAA and NW a 5. Now its other way around and given we can't go to Iowa or NW as probable 4 seeds in NCAA tourney be prepared to travel out west to a place like Gonzaga or Arizona who are other 4's right now according to Bracketology. We'd almost be better falling to a 6 as we could travel to DePaul or Louisville then who are likely to be 3's although from a match up standpoint think I'd rather have one of those 4's despite the travel. 

Like I said I hope that possible plane ride out west hurts them at their core for collapsing against NW and probably costing them games in Bloomington.  

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Since I'm on a 1-game winning streak I'll get Thursday's game thread up and running.  Hopefully, Thursday won't be anywhere close to a repeat of our nail biter at Nebraska.  

No. 20 Indiana will go for win number 20 of the season when it travels to Illinois on Thursday night. Tipoff at State Farm Center is set for 8 p.m. ET on BTN+

NO. 20/23 INDIANA (19-6, 9-4 B1G) AT ILLINOIS (11-12, 2-10 B1G)
Thursday, February 13, 2020 • 8 p.m. ET
State Farm Center • Champaign, Ill.  
Broadcast: BTN+
Radio: whcc105.com (Greg Murray)
Live Stats: Sidearm
Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

ABOUT THE COACHES

Indiana Illinois
Teri Moren Nancy Fahey
Career Record: 321-121 (17th Season) Career Record: 756-175 (34th Season)
Indiana Record: 122-72 (6th Season) Illinois Record: 30-54 (3rd Season)

ABOUT THE FIGHTING ILLINI
Illinois is coming off its second Big Ten win over the weekend when it defeated Penn State on the road. Redshirt junior guard Petra Holešínská is averaging 14.9 points per game while freshman forward Kennedy Myles is putting up 9.5 points and a team-high 8.7 rebounds per game. The Illini are averaging 63.5 points per game this season and shooting 37.6 percent from the floor.

SERIES HISTORY
Indiana leads 42-30

LAST MEETING
1/6/20 – W, 83-42 (Bloomington, Ind.)

NOTES

• The Hoosiers will look to make history on Thursday night as it does for win number 20 of the season. It would be the fastest to 20 wins in program history, notching 20 wins in 26 games. The previous best was 29 games in the 2008-09 and 2016-17 seasons.
  • Redshirt junior guard Ali Patberg was named a top 10 finalist for the Nancy Lieberman award and one of 30 on the 2020 Citizen's Naismith Trophy Midseason Team. She is the team's leading scorer with 13.6 points per game and 5.3 assists per game this season while scoring in double figures a team-high 19 times.
  • IU is coming off a 57-53 win at Nebraska on Sunday. Building a 25-point lead in the first half, the Huskers would make a run late in the game but a reverse layup by sophomore guard Grace Berger and a pair at the line from junior guard Jaelynn Penn was the icing on the cake for Indiana.
  • Indiana and Illinois meet for the second time this season on Thursday night. The Hoosiers extend their win streak in the series to nine-games when it defeated the Fighting Illini, 83-42, on Jan. 6 in Bloomington.

UP NEXT
The Hoosiers return home to host Ohio State on Sunday afternoon. Tipoff at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall is set for 2 p.m. ET as they celebrate National Girls and Women in Sports Day.

Schedule makers did us no favors here. We tip off at the exact same time as the men. You can't tell me that throughout the entire week, they couldn't ensure that these games start at different times? Shouldn't have to pick between the two. 

End of the first and IU trails 12-10.

7 turnovers in the first 5 minutes of the 1st Q.   8 total for the quarter.   We’re our own worst enemy.  Shooting 4-12 FG.  We were scoreless for the last 3 min of the quarter.

Rebounds:  Penn 3; Gulbe 2; Wise 2; Patberg 2        

If we can get win #20 tonight, it will be the earliest in IU women’s basketball history that a team reached the 20 win mark for the season.

Halftime and we trail 27-25.  We did hold Illinois scoreless the last 4:40 in the quarter.

We’re only shooting 36% FG and 2-8 on 3s.  Illinois only 31% FG but 4-9 on 3s

3 more TOs; 11 for the half.

Rebounds:  Penn 4; Berger 5; Gulbe 3; Wise 4; Patberg 3

Assists:  Patberg 3; Berger 3        

Illinois simply won’t go away and at the end of the 3 we lead 45-44.

Hopefully our starters have something left in the tank for the 4th Q as we’re not getting any help whatsoever from our bench --  2 points and 1 rebound and that’s including Mackenzie Holmes who’s been great off the bench almost every game.

We’re shooting 43% FG but just 2-12 on 3s.  Illinois only 35% FG but 8-16 on 3s

Rebounds:  Berger 7; Penn 5; Wise 5; Patberg 5; Gulbe 4

Assists:  Patberg 5; Berger 4        

VICTORY

Ugly, just butt ugly, but we get a 59-54 win.  4 straight free throws by Penn in the last 30 seconds really saved the day.

Held Illinois to 10 points in the 4th Q.

Rebounds:  Wise 9; Berger 8; Gulbe 8; Penn 7; Patberg 5

Assists:  Patberg 9; Berger 4

Really struggled offensively.  39% FG but only 2-16 on 3s.  Penn just 2-11 and Berger 4-12.  Only 2 bench points.   

Illinois 9-21 on 3s was what kept this game close.

Very ugly but we found away. That effort beats absolutely no one else in big ten besides Penn St. so we are lucky we played who we did. If you are going to have an off night though better to have it tonight where you can still win. However, better play much better next few games (and I think we will) or we will lose moving forward.

Goodness ladies. I was panic checking my phone the entire 4th quarter. Again, depth, we don’t have it. 2 bench points?? That isn’t gonna cut it. 2-15 from 3pt line? Illinois is an 11-12 that is 2-11 in the B1G. Gulbe was 7-9 from the floor and Holmes only took 1 shot. If the three isn’t falling against an inferior team, pound the post. Sheesh. It’s a win. But let’s forget it happened and move on. 

16 hours ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Goodness ladies. I was panic checking my phone the entire 4th quarter. Again, depth, we don’t have it. 2 bench points?? That isn’t gonna cut it. 2-15 from 3pt line? Illinois is an 11-12 that is 2-11 in the B1G. Gulbe was 7-9 from the floor and Holmes only took 1 shot. If the three isn’t falling against an inferior team, pound the post. Sheesh. It’s a win. But let’s forget it happened and move on. 

After beating the best team in the country, giving Baylor a battle and beating Illinois by 40-plus points, we're now struggling against inferior competition and battled just to beat that same Illinois team in the rematch. 

I think, like you mentioned, our lack of depth is proving pivotal. I think we're really getting worn down. I had hoped that for the first time, we could make it to the second weekend of the NCAA tourney, but unless we find a second wind somewhere along the way, I fear that might prove very difficult.