Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

The Next Six Games

Not sure about that, but the eye test doesn’t matter like it used to. Tons of analytics. Many of us knew we had problems long before the losing streak. That’s the eye test. Some people are better at it than others.

I don’t even advocate that it should be used because no one can watch every team, every game, but if you do, you know the team better than any of the analytics.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just give it time. At least if college basketball never plateaus. It’s currently going down and down and down. I’d imagine it’s gotta go back up eventually. We may have to sacrifice a few programs to suck again but it’s worth it to have more really good teams. This year has been ran mediocrity.

Not sure about that, but the eye test doesn’t matter like it used to. Tons of analytics. Many of us knew we had problems long before the losing streak. That’s the eye test. Some people are better at it than others.

I don’t even advocate that it should be used because no one can watch every team, every game, but if you do, you know the team better than any of the analytics.

Eye test is getting thrown out the door in discussion. Can’t have a discussion with some because you them eye test doesn’t matter. It’s the numbers only. Which makes for some boring talk.

Eye test is getting thrown out the door in discussion. Can’t have a discussion with some because you them eye test doesn’t matter. It’s the numbers only. Which makes for some boring talk.

Eye test is fine when talking about teams but it can only get you so far. In my last IU bracketology update I said the numbers say IU is still a projected tourney team but my eye test over the last 3 games tells me they are not. Eye test showed me recently that Providence has been playing better of late and had a stretch where they looked like an NCAA tournament team. The numbers showed me that they lost 4 non conference Quad 3 or 4 games.

Moving forward in these next 6 games it will be interesting to see what the eye test shows

Eye test is fine when talking about teams but it can only get you so far. In my last IU bracketology update I said the numbers say IU is still a projected tourney team but my eye test over the last 3 games tells me they are not. Eye test showed me recently that Providence has been playing better of late and had a stretch where they looked like an NCAA tournament team. The numbers showed me that they lost 4 non conference Quad 3 or 4 games.

Moving forward in these next 6 games it will be interesting to see what the eye test shows

Entire body of work is important.

4 hours ago, Bobman1 said:

Do you remember last year’s Indiana team with a couple good wins and a lot of losses that just missed the tournament?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I remember the team that proved they didn't belong in a home game against Wichita St.

I remember the team that proved they didn't belong in a home game against Wichita St.

I’m not arguing they should have gotten in, I’m arguing that his point that the committee only cares about Quad 1 wins and doesn’t take into account losses isn’t true. Last years IU team is just one example.

I’m not arguing they should have gotten in, I’m arguing that his point that the committee only cares about Quad 1 wins and doesn’t take into account losses isn’t true. Last years IU team is just one example.

Because losses don’t matter. That’s been made pretty clear. Or else you wouldn’t be getting 14-15 loss teams into the tourney as at larges. You wouldn’t be getting sub .500 conference records into the tourney. It’s how many good wins you got. We aren’t worried about the losses. It’s why we were even considered. It’s why so many here were just saying whatever about 12 losses in 13 games. “Well they were to Q1 teams. This is the Big Ten it’s tough.” It’s the same this year. And it’s only going to get worse with that thought. A loss is a loss. It’s bad. Losing is bad. Some losses are worse than others but all are bad.

Because losses don’t matter. That’s been made pretty clear. Or else you wouldn’t be getting 14-15 loss teams into the tourney as at larges. You wouldn’t be getting sub .500 conference records into the tourney. It’s how many good wins you got. We aren’t worried about the losses. It’s why we were even considered. It’s why so many here were just saying whatever about 12 losses in 13 games. “Well they were to Q1 teams. This is the Big Ten it’s tough.” It’s the same this year. And it’s only going to get worse with that thought. A loss is a loss. It’s bad. Losing is bad. Some losses are worse than others but all are bad.

Do you ever consider other views? (Especially ones that are more accurate and correct)

Do you ever consider other views? (Especially ones that are more accurate and correct)

It’s an opinion. I believe there should be standards set to get into the NCAA tourney. As in 20+ wins and .500 in conference and that includes conference tourneys. So as of right now, we would technically need 3 wins to qualify if I were the dictator of college basketball. And I would be OKAY with that standard. We should win 3 more games still.

It’s an opinion. I believe there should be standards set to get into the NCAA tourney. As in 20+ wins and .500 in conference and that includes conference tourneys. So as of right now, we would technically need 3 wins to qualify if I were the dictator of college basketball. And I would be OKAY with that standard. We should win 3 more games still.

Yes because because trying to compare 64 teams in a way that is as opposite as possible makes the most sense. Considering the fact that most teams will decide its best to be in a weak conference, load up on cupcakes, and just do the bare minimum to make a tournament. That makes the most sense to try and gather the best collection of talent. But as long as we have artificial standards.

Yes because because trying to compare 64 teams in a way that is as opposite as possible makes the most sense. Considering the fact that most teams will decide its best to be in a weak conference, load up on cupcakes, and just do the bare minimum to make a tournament. That makes the most sense to try and gather the best collection of talent. But as long as we have artificial standards.

Teams won’t join weak conferences because they won’t bring in the money. You’re not just going to see Nebraska and Vanderbilt go join the SWAC to win games. Loading up on cupcakes won’t work because any big time program understands there’s a lot of money to be made playing in big games. Money still makes decisions.

Teams won’t join weak conferences because they won’t bring in the money. You’re not just going to see Nebraska and Vanderbilt go join the SWAC to win games. Loading up on cupcakes won’t work because any big time program understands there’s a lot of money to be made playing in big games. Money still makes decisions.

You do realize with postseason shares that’s where a lot of money comes into play for this right? So a conference with 11 teams that makes it in and has teams go further makes more than 3 teams making the tournament. The $100,000 for the big televised game isn’t as much as the potential millions from making the postseason from shares. That and conference exclusive tv is why we had movement we had. Your theory would not work in the real world.

On 2/9/2020 at 10:40 AM, Stuhoo said:

The next six games are:

Iowa at home

Michigan road

Minnesota road

Penn State at home 

Purdue road

Illinois road

What’d ya got ladies and gents?

What’s the fallout from less than inspiring outcome for these?

The “easiest on paper” games left are the last two: Wisconsin and Minnesota at home follow this stretch.

Interesting thread! 16 days ago I asked what you guys thought of our toughest stretch of the season - these upcoming six games. There are still two of them remaining, and we already have three wins in four games.

Here is the entirety of prediction responses from the first 24 hours following the origination of the thread:

• 1-5
  • 2-4
  • 0-6
  • 1-5
  • 0-6
  • 1-5
  • 1-5
  • 2-4
  • 0-6
  • 2-4
  • "don't care"
  • 2-4
  • 1-5

Congrats to the mod squad, whom collectively did not predict one single loss ;)

"You're never as good as everyone tells you when you win, and you're never as bad as they say when you lose."

Lou Holtz

You do realize with postseason shares that’s where a lot of money comes into play for this right? So a conference with 11 teams that makes it in and has teams go further makes more than 3 teams making the tournament. The $100,000 for the big televised game isn’t as much as the potential millions from making the postseason from shares. That and conference exclusive tv is why we had movement we had. Your theory would not work in the real world.  

If a team goes to a weak conference, then they’ll likely be the only team to make the tourney. So why would they do that? Why would Northwestern leave the Big Ten, go join the MAC(which they probably still couldn’t win) and make less money because it’d still be a one bid conference? Losing in the Big Ten makes more money for them than winning in a bad conference.

If a team goes to a weak conference, then they’ll likely be the only team to make the tourney. So why would they do that? Why would Northwestern leave the Big Ten, go join the MAC(which they probably still couldn’t win) and make less money because it’d still be a one bid conference? Losing in the Big Ten makes more money for them than winning in a bad conference.

Where is the disconnect sandwich?

If NW went to the MAC where they finished above .500 in conference and won 20+ games how would they miss the tourney in your new and improved college basketball world?

So if you can’t have major conferences getting in teams under .500 or less than 20 wins, and those lower conferences are still only one bids then who is going to the tournaments? You haven’t thought this through Joe.

Where is the disconnect sandwich?

If NW went to the MAC where they finished above .500 in conference and won 20+ games how would they miss the tourney in your new and improved college basketball world?

Teams with better resumes. It’s not an earth shattering thing. Only a few teams a year the last few years have gotten in without reaching that. There’s normally only 1 or 2 a year and not any world beating teams. So it isn’t really changing the tourney any. You’ll just get some different play in games and some different double digit seeds.