Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

2023 General Recruiting Thread (BBall)

Notre Dame loses their 2nd ‘23 signee as SG Parker Friedrichsen asks out of his LOI. That leaves Markus Burton as their only commit. Brey announcing when he did is certainly good for his recruits, but it’s doing the next guy no good at all. No way to sell them on waiting for 3 months. 

6 hours ago, Demo said:

Notre Dame loses their 2nd ‘23 signee as SG Parker Friedrichsen asks out of his LOI. That leaves Markus Burton as their only commit. Brey announcing when he did is certainly good for his recruits, but it’s doing the next guy no good at all. No way to sell them on waiting for 3 months. 

Purdue made a serious run for that kid.

He’s a Fletcher Loyer clone that would look good on any team.

Wondering and waiting to see if him or Dunlap get pursued by us.

Sorry, I'm playing a little bit of catch up recruiting wise. In terms of the scholarship for next year, are we technically full with Newton and Cupps? I know it seems likely Duncomb may transfer, so that would potentially give us one more? Would love to see us pick up a transfer big in the offseason, seems the roster will be very small next year unless I'm missing something. 

Anyone in 2023 we're still keeping an eye on or is 2024 the main focus by this time of year? 

30 minutes ago, TeeterInNJ said:

Sorry, I'm playing a little bit of catch up recruiting wise. In terms of the scholarship for next year, are we technically full with Newton and Cupps? I know it seems likely Duncomb may transfer, so that would potentially give us one more? Would love to see us pick up a transfer big in the offseason, seems the roster will be very small next year unless I'm missing something. 

Anyone in 2023 we're still keeping an eye on or is 2024 the main focus by this time of year? 

We will lose XJ, Kopp, Race and TJD so that would leave two open scholarships and JHS is more than likely to leave after this year.

On 2/7/2023 at 9:22 PM, Scotty R said:

I know it seems likely Duncomb may transfer

Why would Logan Duncomb transfer? With TJD and Race gone there will be plenty of minutes available. Even if IU lands a transfer, there will be considerable opportunity for him. At the beginning of the season, TJD talked about how much Duncomb had improved. And, he looked much better when he played. 

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

Why would Logan Duncomb transfer? With TJD and Race gone there will be plenty of minutes available. Even if IU lands a transfer, there will be considerable opportunity for him. At the beginning of the season, TJD talked about how much Duncomb had improved. And, he looked much better when he played. 

I think the implication has been that it might be mutually beneficial. Staff wanted him to redshirt last year, he wouldn’t, played 20 total minutes in 9 games: clearly would’ve been in everyone’s interest if he hadn’t used a year of eligibility that way.

So this year? 9 games, 51 minutes, Grandma tweeting angrily about the staff during IU’s losing streak. If I recall there was an early season *wink wink* three game suspension too.

Yes, there will be frontcourt minutes available for someone, even if we assume Reneau and Geronimo are big-minute players next year. Just no reason to believe the staff is ready to put their trust here for even the third or fourth big.

More broadly, last offseason it was clear this staff wanted to build by recruiting frosh when possible, but was willing to plug holes with transfers. They have quite a few grants to use this off-season; I assume they’ll jump at any current seniors they like who ask out due to coaching changes, a la Scoop in ‘21 and Malik in ‘22, and see if any ‘24 targets are candidates to reclassify up if they’re ready. There will be in-transfers, and where they are will tell us some interesting things about what the staff expects from returners and the incoming frosh.

Anyone know if we are pursuing Brady Dunlap?

Idk and we have a lot of spots BUT I’m not sure he’s the level Indiana wants to build around as a freshman.

I think we need to be heavy on the transfers this cycle. Too many bench guys being retained.

I’m so fascinated in seeing how this staff tries to create a winner for next years roster.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

10 hours ago, lillurk said:

I think the implication has been that it might be mutually beneficial.

Getting quality transfers is easier said than done. Miller Kopp was considered a very good "get" by IU but it hasn't been until the end of his second season at IU that he has been performing at the level most expected. Most transfers have challenges in adjusting to their new school and system. In reality, transfers rarely do better at their new school than their original one. The players who have either transferred to or from IU have not done any better than they did before the transfer. Given that IU's front court players who played the most are leaving (eg. TJD, Kopp & Race), there will be more opportunity to play even if IU happens to land a truly good big (as opposed to someone like Michael Durr). I doubt anyone on this board has any credible information on what Duncomb might do. But I suspect he will have as much of a chance to play at IU as he would anywhere else.

1 hour ago, Gnet550 said:

I saw Ole Miss had 2 4 star decomitt. One was a 6’9” kid who plays inside…hope we get involved.

My first blush reaction (without even knowing the player's name)?

Any four star big who was planning to play for Kermit Davis at Ole Miss was either really, really trying to stay close to home, or is a talented kid with major personality flaws.

22 hours ago, tomallenfan1 said:

Admittedly, I have not paid attention to upcoming recruits as much as in previous years. Which recruits are looking more promising for IU?

After last night's performance, anyone with a pulse!       Sorry, but after a night's sleep I'm still peed off about last night.