Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

2023 General Recruiting Thread (BBall)

8 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

If I'm an assistant coach, not sure I'd love being called out for privately discussing a player's deficiencies.

3 hours ago, hoosierbgh said:

Which one of them are you going to have play point, LOL? 

While it would be good to get at least one more big for next year, we will still have 2 more experienced bigs than we will PGs IF JHS goes pro. Hopefully we can pick up an experienced transfer in that scenario because I'm far more concerned about relying on a freshman PG and a collection of combo guards than I am the bigs. 

Much easier to get a guard to learn point guard skills than to have a guy grow 5 inches over an off-season.  

I am not convinced JHS leaves. But if he does, transfer portal experience at point guard is easier than finding true centers.  I also believe Bates/Galloway could do well/ok in that spot. 

But you are also right JHS leaving would hurt in a certain way for sure. Newton and Cupps aren’t JHS.  Neither is Cupps and Newton. 

54 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Much easier to get a guard to learn point guard skills than to have a guy grow 5 inches over an off-season.  

I am not convinced JHS leaves. But if he does, transfer portal experience at point guard is easier than finding true centers.  I also believe Bates/Galloway could do well/ok in that spot. 

But you are also right JHS leaving would hurt in a certain way for sure. Newton and Cupps aren’t JHS.  Neither is Cupps and Newton. 

It's just a tad early to be convinced that he's for sure leaving but I think there is reason for concern. 

I disagree on the ease of filling needs through the portal. In the scenario that we need a point guard, we'll need a starting level PG. Whereas we will likely only need a serviceable big to play a backup role. 

I'm sure Bates and Galloway can help out some at point but if IU is relying on them for extended minutes there, I doubt it really matters who are 3/4 bigs are. 

It's just a tad early to be convinced that he's for sure leaving but I think there is reason for concern. 
I disagree on the ease of filling needs through the portal. In the scenario that we need a point guard, we'll need a starting level PG. Whereas we will likely only need a serviceable big to play a backup role. 
I'm sure Bates and Galloway can help out some at point but if IU is relying on them for extended minutes there, I doubt it really matters who are 3/4 bigs are. 

Well in this case, we are both right and we need to nail 2023 transfer portal recruiting to not see a precipitous drop next season.

Bates and Reneau project to start. Semi question marks everywhere else. Guys to like, however. It’ll have to be a prove it year.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Interesting tidbit: Top 100 ‘23 CG Garwey Dual, who played his junior year at Carmel but transferred to So Cal Academy for this season, committed to Providence over the summer, but has opted not to sign until the spring. 

11 minutes ago, Demo said:

Interesting tidbit: Top 100 ‘23 CG Garwey Dual, who played his junior year at Carmel but transferred to So Cal Academy for this season, committed to Providence over the summer, but has opted not to sign until the spring. 

His family is in Carmel and he’s the perfect “defend four positions” physicality for the Woodson system.

He wasn’t recruited by IU (Purdue took a look) the first time around, but he’s been a fast riser lately.

27 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

His family is in Carmel and he’s the perfect “defend four positions” physicality for the Woodson system.

He wasn’t recruited by IU (Purdue took a look) the first time around, but he’s been a fast riser lately.

Haven’t watched a minute of him, but the evals I’ve read sound a lot like DeShawn Harris-Smith.

Just sayin’

17 minutes ago, Demo said:

Haven’t watched a minute of him, but the evals I’ve read sound a lot like DeShawn Harris-Smith.

Just sayin’

Taller, longer. Does he have a reputation for playing that hard?!?

19 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Taller, longer. Does he have a reputation for playing that hard?!?

From what I’ve read, again, no 1st hand insight, he’s a really physical guard who likes to play off ball screens and get downhill. Supposedly, is pretty creative off the dribble. Has 3 pt range but it’s not his strength. Also apparently has a reputation as an aggressive and physical perimeter defender. In other words, he sounds a lot like an Ed Cooley guard. Really curious why he’s postponing.

35 minutes ago, Demo said:

From what I’ve read, again, no 1st hand insight, he’s a really physical guard who likes to play off ball screens and get downhill. Supposedly, is pretty creative off the dribble. Has 3 pt range but it’s not his strength. Also apparently has a reputation as an aggressive and physical perimeter defender. In other words, he sounds a lot like an Ed Cooley guard. Really curious why he’s postponing.

Hopefully he’s postponing because we’re talking to his family through back channels 

Montverde?

That’s what they said. I wonder if that C from IMG is still a possible target?

If it’s a reclass thing, maybe he’s checking in with Queen if Somto is a legit reclass option? Idk. I’m trying to see how this reclass thing works out. I still want Flory, somehow, someway.

37 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

That’s what they said. I wonder if that C from IMG is still a possible target?

If it’s a reclass thing, maybe he’s checking in with Queen if Somto is a legit reclass option? Idk. I’m trying to see how this reclass thing works out. I still want Flory, somehow, someway.

I doubt it’s Queen. He was really emphatic that he’s a ‘24 when that question came up. Cyril, on the other hand…..