Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

2023 General Recruiting Thread (BBall)

To be a fly on the wall in the recruiting room over the last 3 months.., lol.

Bank the schollies boys and get a proven player or 2 in the portal.

IMO The portal should fully negate taking long term prospects out of high school (to a Power 5 powerhouse) unless you are 100% sure they are legit.

At this point the staff just wants to win a recruitment. It’s been bad.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

40 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I recommend Hoosier Hysterics recruiting podcast today.  It might open some people’s eyes.  

It’s a great listen. Didn’t break new ground, but Eric was excellent in summarizing the variables.

13 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

It’s a great listen. Didn’t break new ground, but Eric was excellent in summarizing the variables.

A definite window.  A between the lines ‘take’ from guys involved in NIL……….  We won’t be landing top 10 guys unless extenuating circumstances.  

So, as many have projected NIL won’t really change the heirachy of recruiting stature.    

They also mention the additions and reasons for getting JHS and Reneau and indicate the staff needs to find an identity and figure out who they can land.  

So thinking we can get a 5 star each year because we have a superior NIL program isn’t any guarantee.  

A little more insight into the Booker recruitment or lack thereof.  The comparison of Woody to Painter in the Sisley/Haralson recruitments. 

Not a ton of positivity.  Assembly Call just did an episode on this too, they are mainly choosing to ignore it, enjoy the season and hope for the best. I suppose that’s a good strategy for a fan to take. Heck, I’ve been a Cubs fan for a lifetime I’m pretty good at projecting program momentum.  Lol

Also more insight into the Bidunga recruitment. I guess I better tamper my expectations again on that one. 

Sidenote- Who we targeted in general is interesting. We didn’t go top end talent really. Kinda went after mid tier guys that we couldn’t really promise playing time to.  And that could be the reason we are missing.  Now Page or Queen? They were clearly going to get PT.   Less of an excuse there. 

Newer staff, trying to figure it all out. I get it. I just mostly wish NIL was going to catapult us to tier 1 category to be a player at the tippy top.  As I adjust my expectations, I’ll settle in too.  Lol

8 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Also more insight into the Bidunga recruitment. I guess I better tamper my expectations again on that one. 

Sidenote- Who we targeted in general is interesting. We didn’t go top end talent really. Kinda went after mid tier guys that we couldn’t really promise playing time to.  And that could be the reason we are missing.  Now Page or Queen? They were clearly going to get PT.   Less of an excuse there. 

Newer staff, trying to figure it all out. I get it. I just mostly wish NIL was going to catapult us to tier 1 category to be a player at the tippy top.  As I adjust my expectations, I’ll settle in too.  Lol

Why the expectation issue on Bidunga? Do we not have a chance?

40 minutes ago, ebridges24 said:

Why the expectation issue on Bidunga? Do we not have a chance?

Probably not.   Despite reports saying his recruitment  is open I wouldn’t bet against the team that has Adams on their staff in some capacity.    Rumor is that school  could be Cincy when it’s all said and done 

Interesting tidbit, at least to me: Baye Ndongo, who IU kicked the tires on a while back but didn’t offer and we talked about some around here, has been offered by Michigan and Nebraska in the last 2 weeks. Like him a little bit.