Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

2023 General Recruiting Thread (BBall)

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

He's kind of a small "big." Couple that with a lack of experience and he's an end of bench flyer type recruit to me.

In terms of likelihood of committing, I'd handicap it:

1. Page 

2. DHS

3. Kaiser

All of them seem to have had very good or great visits. As long as IU lands one of them, IU should be in a good position for the 2023 class and look to pick up a decommit or transfer(s) in the spring.

There’s another primer that we will be looking at transfer portal for a big spot. Seeing this pretty regularly from the Indiana rep sites. 

I gotta be honest, the 2023 class is underwhelming to me. I know this isn’t a popular opinion. 

We won’t get Powers and that’s ok. 

maybe we get Page and DHS?  Or Page and Kaiser.  

I am hoping a healthy Newton rejuvenates my excitement there.  I like Page and DHS.  Solid, good players.  Potential to be a solid class for sure, just underwhelming considering what we lose. 

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

There’s another primer that we will be looking at transfer portal for a big spot. Seeing this pretty regularly from the Indiana rep sites. 

I gotta be honest, the 2023 class is underwhelming to me. I know this isn’t a popular opinion. 

We won’t get Powers and that’s ok. 

maybe we get Page and DHS?  Or Page and Kaiser.  

I am hoping a healthy Newton rejuvenates my excitement there.  I like Page and DHS.  Solid, good players.  Potential to be a solid class for sure, just underwhelming considering what we lose. 

Seems as though our strategy is to have a limited number of high priority high school recruits, and to go to the portal rather than tier B high school recruits if our top targets don’t commit.

Aint gonna be no PrillerHoetzelGelonApril signings. That’s a good thing.

10 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Seems as though our strategy is to have a limited number of high priority high school recruits, and to go to the portal rather than tier B high school recruits if our top targets don’t commit.

Aint gonna be no PrillerHoetzelGelonApril signings. That’s a good thing.

True. Still lacks star power. Even with the targets. Maybe we don’t need star power. Who knows?

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

True. Still lacks star power. Even with the targets. Maybe we don’t need star power. Who knows?

I certainly know what you mean. A couple additional factors:

1. There’s always the possibility that someone else’s decommit or reclass etc. shakes loose someone in the spring. That worked well with Bates and Reneau.

2. I like the long-term potential in this class, and if you think you might reel in big fish in ‘24 and/or ‘25, it makes for nice foundational pieces to complement instant-impact frosh later.

Derik Queen updates behind paywall from Rabjohns with a possible fall visit. I’m sure the staff is looking for a reclass option here.

We need bigs. We need productive bigs. I’ll root for this as this is likely the best option possible barring transfer portal. Not sure how confident we are about Page at this point.

We lose 60 minutes of front court production. Reneau will eat up a big chunk of that. Not sure if a ready to go transfer would be better to get an experienced big.

If we were lucky enough to get Page and Queen, my guess is the transfer options would be slim at that point.

Lots of work putting together a 2023 team.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

43 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Derik Queen updates behind paywall from Rabjohns with a possible fall visit. I’m sure the staff is looking for a reclass option here.

We need bigs. We need productive bigs. I’ll root for this as this is likely the best option possible barring transfer portal. Not sure how confident we are about Page at this point.

We lose 60 minutes of front court production. Reneau will eat up a big chunk of that. Not sure if a ready to go transfer would be better to get an experienced big.

If we were lucky enough to get Page and Queen, my guess is the transfer options would be slim at that point.

If we get Page and Queen I would be ecstatic. The Bigs position would be in good hands in my opinion.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Derik Queen is so out of shape and so so talented.

He could be Cliff Marshall’s finest project.

10 hours ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Is queen an iu az maryland race?

If Kevin Willard is able to keep Harris-Smith away from Villanova and bring Queen home he will have out-recruited Mark Turgeon and Pat Ewing in the DMV in all of 6 months. That would be a problem, particularly with the Mustaf/Khani Rooths class coming next.

1 hour ago, Demo said:

If Kevin Willard is able to keep Harris-Smith away from Villanova and bring Queen home he will have out-recruited Mark Turgeon and Pat Ewing in the DMV in all of 6 months. That would be a problem, particularly with the Mustaf/Khani Rooths class coming next.

Yeah, Willard has some pull somehow. Not exactly sure what it is.  I mean, normally it’s simply connections to $$$, so I’d start there.