Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

2023 General Recruiting Thread (BBall)

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Jalen Hooks has been invited to the Pangos All-American camp.  Xavier Booker has also been invited and this is a big deal as it indicates just how highly these 2 are viewed in order to be invited.  26 NBA teams have already requested credentials for the June 6-8 event.

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Jalen Hooks has been invited to the Pangos All-American camp.  Xavier Booker has also been invited and this is a big deal as it indicates just how highly these 2 are viewed in order to be invited.  26 NBA teams have already requested credentials for the June 6-8 event.

Guessing that Woodson may have had something to do with this invitation. Pangos is run by a guy named Dinos Trigonis. He’s been a Guy in the recruiting world for probably 30 years. One of those guys who knows everyone. Guaranteed that Woody knows him. Pangos is a referred camp, as pretty much all of them are now. It’s not like anybody knew who Booker was 3 months ago. If not Woodson, someone comparable. 

29 minutes ago, Demo said:

Guessing that Woodson may have had something to do with this invitation. Pangos is run by a guy named Dinos Trigonis. He’s been a Guy in the recruiting world for probably 30 years. One of those guys who knows everyone. Guaranteed that Woody knows him. Pangos is a referred camp, as pretty much all of them are now. It’s not like anybody knew who Booker was 3 months ago. If not Woodson, someone comparable. 

Because Coach Mike Woodson is hyper-connected and goal oriented.

Sounds like a pretty good combination, eh?

Trent Markwith of Relentless Hoops - 

Everything comes easy to 2023 SG Joey Hart. He filled it up effortlessly in both games I watched today, averaging 18.5 PPG. Calm, mature wing who has a well-rounded game, good size, and just goes about his business. Gets up above the rim quickly.  Hart started the day at UAA Midwest with 19 points & 9 rebounds, making 5 3’s in a Grand Park Premier win. Hunted his outside shot early and continued to throughout the game, did a good job rebounding in traffic too.

Comment on his weekend play.

2023 4-star Jeremy Fears (@jeremy_fears) has been outstanding for Brad Beal Elite. A true floor general who makes plays.  His passing abilities are off the charts.  Loves to push the break and always makes the right decision.

Mike Schumann of The Daily Hoosier --  2023 top-75 prospect Maki Johnson is looking to get to Indiana for a June visit, he tells me.

He's listed as a 6' 3" combo guard who attends Teays Valley Christian School in Scott Depot, WV.  Ranked #72 by 247.   Plays AAU on Wildcat Select on the Adidas circuit

June 2020 from ScoopmanTV:  https://scoopmantv.com/2020/06/26/2023-maki-johnson-one-of-the-best-in-his-class/

Background from July 2020 at:  https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-class-of-2023-names-to-know-west-virginia-guard-maki-johnson/

May 2021 from a Nebraska site:  https://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/94517-2023-cg-maki-johnson/

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

The school he attends is maybe half an hour from Huntington Prep. Interesting that a player of that caliber within that proximity would stay at a local program. But, hopefully, I’m gonna see Huntington Prep at an event in January. So, if this kid is really interested in IU, he needs to make my life easier and just transfer there. 
We’ll see where his priorities lie.

43 minutes ago, Demo said:

The school he attends is maybe half an hour from Huntington Prep. Interesting that a player of that caliber within that proximity would stay at a local program. But, hopefully, I’m gonna see Huntington Prep at an event in January. So, if this kid is really interested in IU, he needs to make my life easier and just transfer there. 
We’ll see where his priorities lie.

Already attended there.

Didn't know where to put this, so here it is.

Peach Jam is only a few weeks away. Granted it's a Nike event, and I'm not up to speed on all the recruits, and which AAU circuits IU recruits are on (Nike, Adidas, UA, etc). I don't have any specific "targets" to watch right now. But if anybody wants to give me some names of guys to watch, I'd appreciate it. I saw TJD a couple of years ago. 

According to the PR there are 3 divisions: <17, <16, <15. Personally I'd like to focus on the 17 & under, rather than the younger players.

And, even though there are 7 courts going at once, you really cannot move around like the coaches do. Seating is very limited, and you essentially have to pick one court and stay there. There are only about 5 rows of bleachers on one side of the courts, and they are packed!

3 hours ago, DWB said:

Peach Jam is only a few weeks away. Granted it's a Nike event, and I'm not up to speed on all the recruits, and which AAU circuits IU recruits are on (Nike, Adidas, UA, etc). I don't have any specific "targets" to watch right now. But if anybody wants to give me some names of guys to watch,

Nike circuit '22s committed or have IU offers.  And FWIW, Kyle Thomas, Daryl's son, plays for the Mac Irvin Fire but I don't sense there's any likelihood of an IU offer.

Gunn, C. J. Indy Heat 
Brown, Avery PSA Cardinals
Casey, A. J. MeanStreets
Cruz, Zion PSA Cardinals
Filipowski, Kyle NY Rens
Hood-Schifino, Jalen CP3
Iwuchukwu, Vincent JL3 Elite
Karaban, Alex Expressions Elite
Phillips, Shawn Jr. Georgia Stars
Reed, Tarris Jr. MoKan Elite
Rice, Rodney Team Durant
Taylor, Justin Team Takeover
Trimble, Seth Phenom University
Troutman, Masai Team Takeover
Washington, Jalen MeanStreets
Williams, Justice Team Final

Lawrent Rice a 6' 3" combo guard attends Wayne HS in Huber Heights, OH.  Plays AAU on the All-Ohio-Red 16U on the Nike circuit.  He's really been under the radar as the the background story on him from TheDailyHoosier indicates we've been in contact with him since last summer and has this teaser:   Rice has mentioned Indiana in his recruitment regularly for nearly a year, and he named IU as a school he would like to visit this summer as recently as a couple weeks ago.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-class-of-2023-names-to-know-ohio-point-guard-lawrent-rice/?fbclid=IwAR2PA54q3Qaq6SCAz7ofqudDivVVgpHa6sL1k5TXwV0HrWgh80-akdytGeI

Rivals

Hudl

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Lawrent Rice a 6' 3" combo guard attends Wayne HS in Huber Heights, OH.  Plays AAU on the All-Ohio-Red 16U on the Nike circuit.  He's really been under the radar as the the background story on him from TheDailyHoosier indicates we've been in contact with him since last summer and has this teaser:   Rice has mentioned Indiana in his recruitment regularly for nearly a year, and he named IU as a school he would like to visit this summer as recently as a couple weeks ago.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-class-of-2023-names-to-know-ohio-point-guard-lawrent-rice/?fbclid=IwAR2PA54q3Qaq6SCAz7ofqudDivVVgpHa6sL1k5TXwV0HrWgh80-akdytGeI

Rivals

Hudl

That's interesting. 247 and Rivals have him as unranked but the 247 composite has him at 70. The sites that have ranked him must think quite highly of his skills and/or potential. Surprising that his name is just coming up as having IU interest since they've been recruiting him for so long.

Here’s a nice watch from January for the purposes of ‘23 in that it includes both Lawrent Rice and Gabe Cupps. Couple of things on Rice: 1) He is absolutely a PG, and a pass first one to the point of being almost too unselfish. There are 3 times in this game when he has an opportunity to make an aggressive offensive play for himself but instead creates opportunities for others. 2) That being said, his passes are well-timed and very accurate. He likes to push pace by hitting ahead. Love that. Not enough PG’s are willing to give it up early. 3) With the exception of the 1st play of the game where he got completely lost on a switch, Rice played a solid defensive game. His defensive traits stand out. He’s an elite athlete, he’s long and he can really change direction. I don’t recall him being beaten off the dribble. 4) He’s almost ambidextrous. Until he shoots it, you would not know he’s a lefty. 
Cupps didn’t really impact this game in a meaningful way. He’s solid and efficient, though he doesn’t shoot it very well here, but he doesn’t display a trait or skill that leaps out. I imagine he’s the sort of kid you need to see a few times.

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Great day to get a 2023 recruit on campus. He gets to see the first practice of the Woody era. Then tonight we bring in our first official recruit since the pandemic with 2022 Kaleb banks. Exciting days ahead. 

Don't we have two 2023 recruits today on campus? Fears and Malonga?

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Don't we have two 2023 recruits today on campus? Fears and Malonga?

Yes, he has an unofficial also today. Just haven't been as much talk about him as there have been Fears. Also, I think Malonga might try to reclassify to 2022