Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

2023 General Recruiting Thread (BBall)

We're off and running with '23 rankings.  247 has released its first Top 50 recruits in the '23 class.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Basketball/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

#9 - Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn - McCutcheon HS in Lafayette - Has IU offer

Other names on the list that have been mentioned in regards to IU recruiting:

#5 - Kwame Evans Jr. - Baltimore Polytechnic Inst.

#15 - Gus Yalden - IMG Academy (Danny Danielson's great-nephew)

#34 - Maki Johnson - Huntington Prep

#40 - Jalen Hooks - Indpls. Crispus Attucks HS 

Jake Weingarten - West Virginia just offered Top-50 sophomore Kaleb Glenn, he told @Stockrisers.  In addition, he’s slated to speak with Indiana’s staff tomorrow.

Kaleb Glenn is a 6'6" SF attends Louisville Male HS in Louisville, KY.  Not a lot of info out there yet on most of the '23 class.  Didn't see anything on MaxPreps or Hudl.

Rivals

Good background on Kaleb Glenn from TheDailyHoosier:  

Glenn averaged 13.4 points and 10.1 rebounds as a high school freshman.  He led the state in field goal percentage and was named first team all-seventh region. The 6-foot-6 Glenn was recently ranked No. 43 nationally in the 247Sports top-50 for the class of 2023.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-class-of-2023-names-to-know-top-40-wing-kaleb-glenn/?fbclid=IwAR37J5Z24zHnJaaZzSz-_HH-Obky1nGFgVOjf-SIiuXrwIjsLIVTmRPB-oc

Good background on Kaleb Glenn from TheDailyHoosier:  

Glenn averaged 13.4 points and 10.1 rebounds as a high school freshman.  He led the state in field goal percentage and was named first team all-seventh region. The 6-foot-6 Glenn was recently ranked No. 43 nationally in the 247Sports top-50 for the class of 2023.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-class-of-2023-names-to-know-top-40-wing-kaleb-glenn/?fbclid=IwAR37J5Z24zHnJaaZzSz-_HH-Obky1nGFgVOjf-SIiuXrwIjsLIVTmRPB-oc

Just watched some video of Mr Green. Also saw this tweet

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Mike Schumann indicates we're one of the schools involved.  Ramsey is the coach of the Midwest Basketball Club an Adidas Gold Gauntlet team

Coach Cricket @CoachDRamey613 -- Great write up on 2023 @LawrentRice, only thing is, I believe he is the best prospect in Midwest already holding several Power 5 D1 offers already!  At 6'3 he can at the PG/SG and will attack the rim and dunk on you!

Rice is a 6'3" PG attending Huber Heights Wayne HS in Huber Heights, OH.  

Update from O$U Rivals

Brian Snow Article

Hudl

36 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Mike Schumann indicates we're one of the schools involved.  Ramsey is the coach of the Midwest Basketball Club an Adidas Gold Gauntlet team

Coach Cricket @CoachDRamey613 -- Great write up on 2023 @LawrentRice, only thing is, I believe he is the best prospect in Midwest already holding several Power 5 D1 offers already!  At 6'3 he can at the PG/SG and will attack the rim and dunk on you!

Rice is a 6'3" PG attending Huber Heights Wayne HS in Huber Heights, OH.  

Update from O$U Rivals

Brian Snow Article

Hudl

Thanks for posting this one. An old friend of mine who lives that direction, and knows what he’s watching, mentioned to me in a text from an event in Dayton last winter that he’d seen this kid and was really impressed. I’d forgotten completely about it. 

Jake @jakeweingarten

Indiana is the newest program to inquire in 2023 guard Khoi Thurmon, he told @Stockrisers.   Memphis, Purdue, Georgia, and Butler also reached out to his coaches.

Thurmon is a 6'0" PG attending Copley HS in Akron, OH.  And if that school sounds familiar, it is the same school Stu Robinson's son, Amire, attends.  Thurmon is originally from Chicago and has already received an offer from Illinois.

MaxPreps

Feb '20 Game Summary

Brian Snow on Jalen Hooks - 

Class of 2023 wing Jalen Hooks currently ranks as the No. 40 player in the country in the 247Sports Top 50. With his combination of size at 6-foot-5, good athleticism, and solid skill level across the board, Hooks has already found himself on the radar of college coaches.

Now heading into his sophomore season, Hooks says he is ready to accomplish big things, and is working hard to improve on what was a very good freshman season.

When it comes to recruiting interest that he is already getting, Hooks said, “The schools that have offered are Xavier, DePaul and IUPUI.”

He continued, “I pretty much introduce myself to a different coaching staff every day. I have had contact with Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana, all of the schools around Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, UCLA, a few times, and a few more programs as well.”

Given that Hooks is so young, and most coaches have yet to even see him in person, he says it is an honor to have recruiting interest at this stage of his development.

“It feels good to have offers already,” said Hooks. “Since I first got into basketball my goal was to play at the next level, and for that to be coming true at this age is great.”

When coaches talk to Hooks, he says they make it clear that even in the limited evaluation settings they have had, that they like what he brings to the floor.

“The coaches tell me that they hear from people they trust and can see on film that I can be a leader and how versatile I am,” said Hooks. “Coaches like how I handle the ball for my size and how I can guard all over the court.”

This upcoming season, Hooks is going to be attending Crispus Attucks High School in Indianapolis, and is going to be a part of one of the most exciting young teams in the state.

About his goals for the season, Hooks said, “Coach (Chris) Hawkins is expecting me to put the ball in the basket as a primary scorer and handle the ball a lot as a point guard.”

Hooks continued, “As a team, I think we can accomplish pretty much anything. As long as everyone works hard and puts in the time to keep getting better, I think we have a good chance to win the state championship.”

With his size, athleticism and skill, there is no doubt that Hooks has a chance to be one of the most heavily recruited prospects in the Midwest in his class, and he is someone who could see his stock go up even higher with an impressive sophomore season on the court.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Brian Snow on Jalen Hooks - 

Class of 2023 wing Jalen Hooks currently ranks as the No. 40 player in the country in the 247Sports Top 50. With his combination of size at 6-foot-5, good athleticism, and solid skill level across the board, Hooks has already found himself on the radar of college coaches.

Hooks said, “Coach (Chris) Hawkins is expecting me to put the ball in the basket as a primary scorer and handle the ball a lot as a point guard.”

Didn't realize this ... if you are a veteran poster you'll know this is kind of a big deal (and therefore I LOVE our chances here):

Birdman poster.png

For anyone interested, you can watch Stew Robinson's son, Amire, in his season opening game for Copley HS.  He's #22.  We've also looked at his teammate '23 PG Khoi Thurmon #21.  I'll warn you that neither team is particularly impressive.

https://copleyathletics.org/2020/11/28/livestream-tonights-boys-basketball-vs-walsh-jesuit/

Copley trailed 28-27 at halftime.  Thurmon had 13 pts; Robinson had 4 pts. and 3 pretty ugly TOs. 

Copley is defeated by Walsh-Jesuit 59-58.  Thurmon finished with 20 pts; Robinson had 7.

From this one game, Thurmon is the best player on the Copley team.  Robinson has the bad high school habit of trying to reach behind the back of his opponent to poke the ball away from behind when he's being beaten off the dribble.  He picked up his 4th foul midway through the 3rd Q.

Latest rankings from 247:  https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Basketball/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

#9 - Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn        If you missed it earlier, he's left McCutcheon HS and attending Real Salt Lake Academy in Utah.

#40 - Jalen Hooks - Indpls. Crispus Attucks

6'4" SG Jayden Pinkston from Indianapolis TIndley from Nick Baumgart -

Tindley 6'4" SG Jayden Pinkston (2023) with early interest from a few HMs: IU, Mizzou, Michigan St, Purdue reached out. IUPUI, Texas Southern, Ala A&M too. Listen to Omar Dillard--who coached Aaron Henry/Eric Hunter/Gary Harris--speak on JP. Coach told me in May he wld be special.

New name on the IU radar.  Reed Sheppard a 6'2" combo guard attends North Laurel HS in London, KY.  He is the son of two UK basketball legends: Jeff Sheppard, the leading scorer on the men’s 1998 national title team; and Stacey Reed, one of the greatest players in UK women’s basketball history.

Sheppard averaged 20.6 points per game as a freshman for North Laurel before exploding as a sophomore, averaging 35 points — and making 43 percent of his three-point shots — over the team’s first 12 games, all victories. He’s reached 50 points on multiple occasions and still manages to achieve high assist totals despite his impressive scoring performances. 

Rivals

Hudl

https://247sports.com/Article/Reed-Sheppard-2023-recruitment-Kentucky-Louisville-Virginia-Iowa-Indiana-161418273/

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/reed-sheppard-drops-career-high-54-points-flirts-with-triple-double/

https://www.wymt.com/2021/01/13/more-than-his-parents-legacy-reed-sheppard-shines-early-in-sophomore-season/

On 10/5/2020 at 3:35 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Update on Bowen -

Indiana: “I really feel like a priority there and it feels great to be wanted by a program like that. Obviously they have such a rich history filled with success and that’s something I definitely take note of.”

https://www.zagsblog.com/2021/02/25/class-of-2023-taylor-bowen-talks-recruitment/