Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

2023 General Recruiting Thread (BBall)

4'28" interview with Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn from last weekend.  A very polite young man.

Class of 2023 McCutcheon High School guard Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn has the look of the next big thing in Indiana basketball recruiting.  As a freshman, Gibbs-Lawhorn poured in 21 points per game while adding 3 rebounds, 1.3 assists and .9 steals per contest. He made 49 percent of his attempts from the field, including 46 percent of 136 attempts from long range.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-2023-guard-dra-gibbs-lawhorn-talks-freshman-season-and-recruiting/?fbclid=IwAR0X7w4M12ZOYcQJ2McuSKoKdR9W1W0IfMBTo2KTPhxVVeYZpb_tjG6JbJ4

Maybe Doc Fleek fixes that front tooth upon commitment. Or after graduation to stay within NCAA limitations.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Maybe Doc Fleek fixes that front tooth upon commitment. Or after graduation to stay within NCAA limitations.

For that comment alone, you've likely broken at least a dozen NCAA regulations and we'll be hit with untold sanctions.   :92:

5 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Way too early but there is a longstanding connection to IU and its basketball history.

Gus Yalden already 6'10" and 240 lbs., lays claim to Donald "Danny" Danielson as his great uncle who served as an IU trustee from 1958-80.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-2023-forward-gus-yalden-has-a-unique-connection-to-indiana/?fbclid=IwAR2SuHKC7928uqIcv8y-k9sV8VZt_HTNGDdxHCc4y6zA4cz_sRvzbFg3pjU

Everything that I see, I like! Good range, good hands, can get up the floor. Looks athletic, plus on size. Got a little shake and bake. Get on him CAM!

And on this Independence Day we have our own fireworks in the form of a new '23 name.

6'4" Maki Johnson who attends Huntington Prep in WV.   Currently unrated by 247 and Rivals and nothing on MaxPreps.

TheDailyHoosier

ScoopmanTV:  

Pay attention to 2023 shooting guard Maki Johnson of Huntington Prep (WV).  He’s easily one of the best players in his class and his offer list has started to show just that.  Akron, Ole Miss, Virginia Tech, Maryland and Auburn and Bryant have all offered him so far with the Tigers being the latest program to offer him a scholarship.  He was with his mother and girlfriend when he received the call, and was just, “real, real excited,” to hear that SEC power Auburn offered him a scholarship.  Louisville, Indiana and Xavier are also recruiting him due to his impressive skill set at his age, and his potential as a player moving forward.

“Coaches like that I’m a gym rat,” he said. “That’s what really makes me unique in the basketball world.”  Johnson is currently sharpening his offensive skills and is preparing himself for the time he’s able to play in front of college coaches again. He’s also looking to get stronger and more explosive.  “Right now, I’m working on my shooting,” he said. “My dad tells me, ‘is a dunk worth more than a three?’ So he always makes me work on shooting.”  “In the weight room, I’m just trying to gain weight and do explosive workouts.”

Alec Lasley on Gus Yalden (Donald "Danny" Danielson is his great uncle who served as an IU trustee from 1958-80.)

While most high school prospects don't see their recruitments really start until following their sophomore season, 2023 Asheville (N.C.) School big man Gus Yalden already has high-major offers and garnered interest from a handful of other programs around the country.

Originally from the midwest, the Wisconsin native is humbled by the early recruitment success, but knows he has a long way to go before he reaches his goals.

"It’s completely flattering and validates all those sayings about 'hard work paying off' but those interest and offers aren’t really something to bank on," Yalden told TheHoosier.com. "Just means I gotta do what I’ve been doing and even more."

For the 6-foot-9 forward, Rutgers, Utah and Cal State Northridge are the three programs that have extended offers, but programs such as Cincinnati, Georgia, Florida, Missouri, Stephan F. Austin, Louisville and Indiana are all some of the schools that he has been in contact with.

Having a nickname of 'Baby Jokic', due to his play resembling Denver Nuggets star center Nikola Jokic, it's easy to see why there is so much interest in Yalden.

"That [Jokic] and Kevin Love. Both comparisons are very flattering cuz both dudes are extremely talented," Yalden said. "I'm a hybrid with low block presence and back to basket moves, mixed in with catch and shoot perimeter skills and a sneaky ability to handle, push and pass."

While Yalden's communication with Indiana is all about building the relationship, it is a school that he already knows a lot about. Yalden's great uncle, Donny Danielson, was on the Indiana University Board of Trustees from 1958 to 1980. In 1967, the vote by the board members to begin construction of Assembly Hall was approved unanimously. Since then, the family has always had a connection to Indiana.

"I really only watched basketball. We didn't really tune in for a football game but I did catch a baseball game in Omaha at the College World Series when I was living in Nebraska," Yalden said. "It [Indiana] sure checks a lot of boxes with academics, coaching staff, facilities, BIG 10, huge fan base and a ton of tradition. And those warm up pants are legendary."

So far, all of Yalden's communication with IU has been with assistant coach Mike Roberts, due to his ties to the North Carolina area.

"He is super positive and seems excited about me as a player. I call him once a week to check in," Yalden added. "It's pretty light hearted talk about how I’m doing and he asks what I’m doing in my workouts and my schedule and a lot about Asheville."

For someone who just finished up their freshman year of high school, Yalden is a gym rat and always wants to be on the court working on his game. With COVID impacting that for most of the past handful of months, it has been a great couple of weeks with AAU starting up and being able to return to live action. Playing for Team Griffin, Yalden has been in action the past two weekends and has seen mixed results, but is still excited to be back playing the game he loves..

"Last weekend I was trash, slow, missed easy buckets, three point shot was off and I had more turnovers than assists. This weekend I rolled my ankle at practice Friday night so I think that forced me to slow down a little which was good," Yalden said. "I took my time on my moves and didn’t rush or force anything. I wasn’t really snatching the boards cuz my ankle and jumping hurts so I had to keep the ball alive by tipping it. I adjusted and when I'm comfortable I just exploited mismatches as they threw them at me.

"It was great to get up and down and put all those practice reps into live games," Yalden added. "Nothing better than playing basketball in my opinion."

6'6" Jalen Hooks who attends Franklin Central HS.  He was the third-leading scorer and rebounder for the Flashes as a freshman, averaging 9.3 points and 4.7 rebounds per contest.  He added 1.3 blocks and 1.0 steal per game, and Hooks shot 46 percent from the field for his 2019-20 season.

The dialogue with Indiana is fairly regular.  “I’m talking to coach Archie.  I try to call him every week,” Hooks said.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-class-of-2023-jalen-hooks-is-playing-up-two-years-and-on-track-to-be-a-star/?fbclid=IwAR2E12gRRJzI10VWl-Ivdypw9RE09tRkhm45wBO_IlGRIFTFyCkp1XrHpdU

Some background on '23 Amire Robinson (Stew's son) who attends Copley HS near Akron, OH.

“It’s up to them (IU), but we are hoping for the alma mater,” Stew Robinson said.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-amire-robinson-son-of-former-indiana-player-stew-robinson-talks-recruiting/?fbclid=IwAR1iGUN5KIcz-3LlNO97oK3BoAfrH8g5_TItV14qV5aQnuKOSzdTlTJfj8E

27 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Some background on '23 Amire Robinson (Stew's son) who attends Copley HS near Akron, OH.

“It’s up to them (IU), but we are hoping for the alma mater,” Stew Robinson said.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-amire-robinson-son-of-former-indiana-player-stew-robinson-talks-recruiting/?fbclid=IwAR1iGUN5KIcz-3LlNO97oK3BoAfrH8g5_TItV14qV5aQnuKOSzdTlTJfj8E

Asked about an IU offer about 11 mins into the video and the kid really does give the anti-Blake Wesley response.

Not that I put that much emphasis on rankings, but curious wher he is ranked? Too lazy to look

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Not that I put that much emphasis on rankings, but curious wher he is ranked? Too lazy to look

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Too far out for 247 or Rivals to rank although ESPN does put out a Top 25 list.

Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn from McCutcheon HS received an offer from PUke.  

For anyone interested you can access a 22 min. interview with the young man through:

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/listen-iu-basketball-2023-in-state-recruiting-target-dra-gibbs-lawhorn-on-the-hoosier-experience-podcast/?fbclid=IwAR2Mx3PDLKMWz0aVtFi1rvBlmv3VyQoWNgEqaBSkeR0dvaM8fC3VTW7-VnI

Jacob Polacheck --  UConn and Indiana are starting to show interest in 2023 prospect Donald Villard a 6'11" center who attends City on the Hill Charter School in Boston, MA.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/08/18/class-of-2023-forward-donald-villard-holds-two-offers/

NERR Sept. 2019:  Donald Villard, City on the Hill ‘23 - A 6-foot-8 freshman with a 7-foot-3 wingspan who won’t turn 15 until January and wears a size 18 shoe, Villard may have had more upside than any 2023 big man in the field. He’s still new to the game and raw in a variety of different ways but there’s no denying his natural tools and long-term potential. 

Boston Globe - Dec. 2019:

Donald Villard didn’t necessarily fall in love with basketball at an early age.  The freshman at City on a Hill Charter School discovered his love for the game when he began playing AAU in seventh grade, and because he was already 6 feet 5 inches tall, coaches and scouts began to find him.

Now 14 years old and standing 6-9 with a 7-3 wingspan and size-19 shoe, Villard is regarded as a tantalizing prospect, coveted by prep schools that have tried to recruit the Roxbury teen.  But the shy, only child and his single mother, Keena, chose for him to stay close to home at the charter school with only 70 kids in his class in Dudley Square.

“Donald has always been the tallest kid in his class and on the playground,” said Keena. “He’s definitely a humble kid, so the attention that’s coming his way has been exciting, but it hasn’t made him feel like he’s better than any other kid.”

Since there are now 81 charter schools in Massachusetts with more than 34,000 students and more than 58,000 students on the wait list, Villard is already getting an individualized education, further diminishing the need to transfer to a prep school.

If Villard wants to know about the potential drawbacks of transferring from school to school, looking for the best opportunity to showcase his talents, he needs to only ask his coach, 25-year-old Timmance McKinney.  McKinney’s journey to becoming one of the youngest varsity coaches in the state began in Jamaica Plain. He played for three high schools and three junior colleges before returning to Boston to begin coaching.

“That journey made me realize I wanted to be a mentor and help kids not go through what I went through,” said McKinney, who stated on his personal website (timmancemckinney.com) that, “putting sports before school at a young age really hurt my future.”

When he added Villard to his United Elite AAU team in seventh grade, McKinney knew the young man’s natural ability would garner extra attention.

“Being that size with agility, you can’t teach that,” said McKinney. “That’s always going to put [Villard] ahead of the pack.

“He loves basketball but he’s 14 years old and a lot of things are coming at him so fast. We’ve been talking about it more and more. He’s a real humble kid, real quiet, but he’s starting to know that the spotlight is coming and he’s going to be in that spotlight no matter what he does.”

So far, Villard is providing steady production at the high school level with 10 points, 20 rebounds, and 11 blocks through City on a Hill’s first two games.

While he’s far from polished, Villard’s eye-popping potential has been on display when he sprinted the length of the floor to easily block a lay-up on two occasions this season.

“For kids that are celebrated at an early age, in most cases, it’s premature,” cautioned Adam Finkelstein , founder of the New England Recruit Report. “In Donald’s case, he has some raw physical tools, but for every one who maximizes that, there are two kids that don’t make it.

“There’s a really big difference between being very talented and very good.”

Playing against older competition on the AAU circuit the past two summers has given Villard a taste for what he’d be up against if he decides to pursue high-level basketball.

Recently, McKinney said that Villard’s embraced the challenge by requesting individual drills to work on his shooting, ball-handling, and time to study film of towering NBA players, such as Mo Bamba and Tacko Fall.

“I want to be able to take care of my mom in the future, and I know basketball will help me do that one day,” said Villard. “My mom works hard to provide for me, so that’s what drives me every day. I just want to focus on my game and get better, so when it’s time I can get interest from colleges.”

McKinney, who has another long-term prospect in freshman guard Shakai Campbell , maintains that he wants to help determine what’s best for each kid, and if possible, help them get to the next level.

McKinney is good friends with Roxbury native and former Kansas standout Wayne Selden Jr., a donor to his AAU program, and is well aware of the difficult road to basketball stardom. He recognizes his protégés, Villard and Campbell, may decide to get more exposure at a bigger school.

“I’ve been completely honest with both of them,” said McKinney. “But for [Villard], it might not matter where he’s playing. With that size and promising athleticism, he’ll have people in the gym no matter where he’s at.”

The world of recruiting can be cold and calculating, so perhaps it’s wise for Villard’s mother and mentor to keep him out of the spotlight for now.

“With anyone who is that young and has some markers for future success, seeing the big picture is really important,” said Finkelstein. “Wherever [Villard] is, he needs to be in a situation to develop daily. Not just athletically, but socially and academically.”

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Jacob Polacheck --  UConn and Indiana are starting to show interest in 2023 prospect Donald Villard a 6'11" center who attends City on the Hill Charter School in Boston, MA.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/08/18/class-of-2023-forward-donald-villard-holds-two-offers/

NERR Sept. 2019:  Donald Villard, City on the Hill ‘23 - A 6-foot-8 freshman with a 7-foot-3 wingspan who won’t turn 15 until January and wears a size 18 shoe, Villard may have had more upside than any 2023 big man in the field. He’s still new to the game and raw in a variety of different ways but there’s no denying his natural tools and long-term potential. 

Boston Globe - Dec. 2019:

Donald Villard didn’t necessarily fall in love with basketball at an early age.  The freshman at City on a Hill Charter School discovered his love for the game when he began playing AAU in seventh grade, and because he was already 6 feet 5 inches tall, coaches and scouts began to find him.

Now 14 years old and standing 6-9 with a 7-3 wingspan and size-19 shoe, Villard is regarded as a tantalizing prospect, coveted by prep schools that have tried to recruit the Roxbury teen.  But the shy, only child and his single mother, Keena, chose for him to stay close to home at the charter school with only 70 kids in his class in Dudley Square.

“Donald has always been the tallest kid in his class and on the playground,” said Keena. “He’s definitely a humble kid, so the attention that’s coming his way has been exciting, but it hasn’t made him feel like he’s better than any other kid.”

Since there are now 81 charter schools in Massachusetts with more than 34,000 students and more than 58,000 students on the wait list, Villard is already getting an individualized education, further diminishing the need to transfer to a prep school.

If Villard wants to know about the potential drawbacks of transferring from school to school, looking for the best opportunity to showcase his talents, he needs to only ask his coach, 25-year-old Timmance McKinney.  McKinney’s journey to becoming one of the youngest varsity coaches in the state began in Jamaica Plain. He played for three high schools and three junior colleges before returning to Boston to begin coaching.

“That journey made me realize I wanted to be a mentor and help kids not go through what I went through,” said McKinney, who stated on his personal website (timmancemckinney.com) that, “putting sports before school at a young age really hurt my future.”

When he added Villard to his United Elite AAU team in seventh grade, McKinney knew the young man’s natural ability would garner extra attention.

“Being that size with agility, you can’t teach that,” said McKinney. “That’s always going to put [Villard] ahead of the pack.

“He loves basketball but he’s 14 years old and a lot of things are coming at him so fast. We’ve been talking about it more and more. He’s a real humble kid, real quiet, but he’s starting to know that the spotlight is coming and he’s going to be in that spotlight no matter what he does.”

So far, Villard is providing steady production at the high school level with 10 points, 20 rebounds, and 11 blocks through City on a Hill’s first two games.

While he’s far from polished, Villard’s eye-popping potential has been on display when he sprinted the length of the floor to easily block a lay-up on two occasions this season.

“For kids that are celebrated at an early age, in most cases, it’s premature,” cautioned Adam Finkelstein , founder of the New England Recruit Report. “In Donald’s case, he has some raw physical tools, but for every one who maximizes that, there are two kids that don’t make it.

“There’s a really big difference between being very talented and very good.”

Playing against older competition on the AAU circuit the past two summers has given Villard a taste for what he’d be up against if he decides to pursue high-level basketball.

Recently, McKinney said that Villard’s embraced the challenge by requesting individual drills to work on his shooting, ball-handling, and time to study film of towering NBA players, such as Mo Bamba and Tacko Fall.

“I want to be able to take care of my mom in the future, and I know basketball will help me do that one day,” said Villard. “My mom works hard to provide for me, so that’s what drives me every day. I just want to focus on my game and get better, so when it’s time I can get interest from colleges.”

McKinney, who has another long-term prospect in freshman guard Shakai Campbell , maintains that he wants to help determine what’s best for each kid, and if possible, help them get to the next level.

McKinney is good friends with Roxbury native and former Kansas standout Wayne Selden Jr., a donor to his AAU program, and is well aware of the difficult road to basketball stardom. He recognizes his protégés, Villard and Campbell, may decide to get more exposure at a bigger school.

“I’ve been completely honest with both of them,” said McKinney. “But for [Villard], it might not matter where he’s playing. With that size and promising athleticism, he’ll have people in the gym no matter where he’s at.”

The world of recruiting can be cold and calculating, so perhaps it’s wise for Villard’s mother and mentor to keep him out of the spotlight for now.

“With anyone who is that young and has some markers for future success, seeing the big picture is really important,” said Finkelstein. “Wherever [Villard] is, he needs to be in a situation to develop daily. Not just athletically, but socially and academically.”

Kansas alum who floats money to this kids AAU team. There will be some shady stuff going on there to get this kid to Lawrence.

Kwame Evans Jr., 6'8" SF attending Baltimore Polytechnic Institute in Baltimore, MD.  If his name sounds somewhat familiar, his dad Kwame Sr., led George Washington to three NCAA Tournament appearances between 1993 and 1996. He helped the Colonials reach the Sweet 16 in 1996 and ranks fifth on the GW all-time scoring list.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-class-of-2023-names-to-know-kwame-evans-jr/?fbclid=IwAR390lvGYEZecgi4XVC_rIRfjiAUaJZo2rJvF2OKNxNlrfZ8YCRfQA2QD5g

Rivals

Hudl

https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/06/13/class-of-2023-forward-kwame-evans-jr-drawing-high-major-interest/

6'8" Carter Lang attends St. Anne's Belfield school and is a high school teammate of Justin Taylor who received an IU offer a few weeks ago.  Included in the link below is a link to a 3 min. Hudl video.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-class-of-2023-names-to-know-carter-lang/?fbclid=IwAR3lzurxQG_7AsfA_5yfQA14SHO7_Bvk0er3gkJcGosoZm5CMeNOhFXE8wU

MaxPreps

Jacob Polacheck -

Class of 2023 St. George’s (RI) School forward Taylor Bol Bowen (@taylorbolbowen) says Indiana is showing heaving(sic) interest. Michigan State and Georgia also showing interest.

6'7" SF attending St. George's school in Newport, RI.  Too early for 247 or Rivals rankings and nothing on MaxPreps. 

July '20 Background Story