Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
JerryYeagley23

Women's College Basketball General Thread

Wanted to start a thread for conversation about the Women’s games going on around college basketball, or general discussions that relate indirectly to the Lady Hoosiers.

I’ll kick off the thread with a couple observations from today. UCLA bouncing back, up big on #19 ASU. Was really surprised seeing them get beat by almost 30 at Arizona on Friday. The top half of the PAC 12 is crazy talented. South Carolina smoked Tennessee by 21. The Lady Hoosiers win over them (their only loss) on a neutral court continues to look more and more impressive.  

Michigan beat #19 Iowa, and unranked Florida beat #13 Kentucky. If unranked LSU can hold on and beat #15 Texas A&M, IU might be looking at a jump up to the 15-18 range after two home wins last week. 

@Class of '66 Old Fart @WayneFleekHoosier @Aaron @mamasa @Hoosierfan31 @Basketballhead24 @LamarCheeks

23 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I watched a little of South Carolina's game against Tennessee this afternoon. They're really good.Don't know how the hell we beat them -- and by 14 points. 

On the right night, we can play with anyone in the country imo..and on the wrong night we can play down to the level of a team we should thump. Kind of remind me of our mens team but thank God we arent as inconsistent. Still think we are top 10 talent. 

On the right night, we can play with anyone in the country imo..and on the wrong night we can play down to the level of a team we should thump. Kind of remind me of our mens team but thank God we arent as inconsistent. Still think we are top 10 talent. 

I have a hard time seeing IU playing at the level or Oregon.. but agree about the rest of D1

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Selection committee will reveal the official top 16 seeds at halftime of the UCONN/Oregon game tonight, but ESPN took a shot at the top 4 seeds in each region. Lady Hoosiers made the list as the last 4-seed. Overall, 4 B1G teams seeded 4 or better projected. I don’t know that you’d ever “hope” to be in UCONN’s region, but it would be nice to get ourselves into the 3/4 seed in the Fort Wayne region. 

https://es.pn/395FLZw

It sucks that attendance is so much lower for wbb, but we should be very proud of our support. Watching the #13 Maryland team play, such sparse attendance.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I posted this in the PU game thread, but will put it here, too. We were not one of the top 16 seeds in tonight's big reveal. Iowa and Northwestern were the last two in. Those losses are looking to be costly -- and we don't play either again. I would think a win Thursday over the Twerps would elevate us into that group, though. ... 

Greenville: 1. South Carolina, 7. NC State, No. 11 UCLA, No. 15 Iowa 

Dallas: 2. Baylor, 6. Stanford, 12. Gonzaga, 13. Arizona 

Portland: 4. Oregon, 8. Maryland, 10. Mississippi State, 14. DePaul 

Fort Wayne: 3. Louisville, 5. UConn, 9. Oregon State, 16. Northwestern 

11 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I have a hard time seeing IU playing at the level or Oregon.. but agree about the rest of D1

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Okay, had not seen them play this year, so I wanted to respond “we beat South Carolina, why wouldn’t we be able to hang with Oregon.” I would have been wrong. Oregon is damn good. Putting it on UCONN on the road. They have some serious length and athletes. Let’s do why we can to avoid their region and worry about them when we get to the Fonal Four eh?

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

I posted this in the PU game thread, but will put it here, too. We were not one of the top 16 seeds in tonight's big reveal. Iowa and Northwestern were the last two in. Those losses are looking to be costly -- and we don't play either again. I would think a win Thursday over the Twerps would elevate us into that group, though. ... 

We're close and probably first or second five seed and tonight's win goes a long way. That NW loss continues to be a killer though that could cost team Big Ten title and top 4 seed if it comes down to those two, unless we beat them in Big Ten Tournament. 

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

For the most part it looks as you’d expect. IU is right there, but there’s obviously some recency bias affecting these. I mean, Arizona did just beat UCLA by 30, which got some attention as it should have. But their RPI is 27. (IU is 14th in RPI) So obviously the committee put a lot of emphasis on what happened last week. Also, Maryland is good, they showed that against IU and Northwestern; but a 2-seed seems high. They have one less win than IU overall, and they played a really weak non-conference schedule. The two ranked teams they did play before conference, S. Carolina and NC State, they lost to. Not sure why they are getting so much love. On a positive note, if IU can beat them on Thursday, you’d think we would basically be a straight swap with them for that #2 seed since our overall SOS and record are better. These things are only for conversation purposes at this point in the season. Lot of hoops to be played. We control our destiny and a win Thursday puts us in good shape to secure two home games in the Dance. 

31 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Dang, Maryland up 40 on MSU early in the fourth. 

Yeahhhh. Maybe my questioning that 2-seed the committee gave to Maryland was not as warranted as I thought. Ha. Gonna be a tough game Thursday. Hopefully home court advantage is big and the crowd comes out to support in our biggest home game of the year. 

11 hours ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Yeahhhh. Maybe my questioning that 2-seed the committee gave to Maryland was not as warranted as I thought. Ha. Gonna be a tough game Thursday. Hopefully home court advantage is big and the crowd comes out to support in our biggest home game of the year. 

The weather for Thursday looks "messy" and us old folks that make up a large part of the seating in AH could be a problem.  Seriously, I do hope more students will attend the Maryland game. It will be tough to get a win over this Maryland team, but not impossible. Go Hoosiers!

3 hours ago, LockdownD said:

The weather for Thursday looks "messy" and us old folks that make up a large part of the seating in AH could be a problem.  Seriously, I do hope more students will attend the Maryland game. It will be tough to get a win over this Maryland team, but not impossible. Go Hoosiers!

It’s been 20+ years since I was a student. Do they do any kind of marketing to the students for big games like Thursdays? I remember them posting fliers and giving out t-shirts or free Pizza Xpress for a couple big soccer games against another top 5 team. Didn’t know if they did anything like this to drum up attendance from the students for women’s hoops games like this one.