Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

RaceToTheTop

Starting lineup

4 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

You want to reward Green by giving him a starting spot again?  Screw that if Durham is going to the bench let Franklin start. 

Smith is going enough to still start  pretty sure he’s over 50% for the last 5 games  

I do think it’s time to bring Hunter into the starting line up move Smith to the 4  Brunk to the bench  

Al and Brunk off the bench.  Race if he is healthy as well

In terms of Smith, he’s s as actually slightly under 50% (18 of 38).  That said, I don’t see starting as a reward and coming off the bench as a punishment;  what I do see is that we have been struggling offensively from the get to and then seem to spend a significant portion of the game trying to catch up.  Durham and Smith offensively have not been playing well lately — in the last four games Smith has really struggled and Al isn’t even getting shots up — and think maybe that coming in fresh off the bench might get them kick started.  

You want to reward Green by giving him a starting spot again?  Screw that if Durham is going to the bench let Franklin start. 

Smith is going enough to still start  pretty sure he’s over 50% for the last 5 games  
I do think it’s time to bring Hunter into the starting line up move Smith to the 4  Brunk to the bench  
Al and Brunk off the bench.  Race if he is healthy as well

That’s exactly what I want. Phin, Frank, Hunter, Smith and TJD. Having Al, Brunk and Race the first three off the bench. Davis next if Brunk or TJD aren’t playing well or are in foul trouble. Davis has turned his play around I think. After that. Damezi maybe and Green stays glued to the bench unless we are desperate. Rob, Franklin and Al can play the 2 guard spots.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

42 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

In terms of Smith, he’s s as actually slightly under 50% (18 of 38).  That said, I don’t see starting as a reward and coming off the bench as a punishment;  what I do see is that we have been struggling offensively from the get to and then seem to spend a significant portion of the game trying to catch up.  Durham and Smith offensively have not been playing well lately — in the last four games Smith has really struggled and Al isn’t even getting shots up — and think maybe that coming in fresh off the bench might get them kick started.  

Green rarely helps our offense. Would much rather reward effort or play a freshmen to develop. 

I'd start Phin, Franklin, Hunter, TJD, and Brunk. Bring Durham, Smith, and Race off the bench with a few spare minutes for De'Ron if pressed into it. Make them compete for minutes. Reward good play and/or effort with more pt. Sit people like Green on the bench until they earn back trust in practice. This is basic coaching, why is this not being applied? This is what happens when you let players do their own thing with no accountability.

23 minutes ago, Crimson and Cream said:

I'd start Phin, Franklin, Hunter, TJD, and Brunk. Bring Durham, Smith, and Race off the bench with a few spare minutes for De'Ron if pressed into it. Make them compete for minutes. Reward good play and/or effort with more pt. Sit people like Green on the bench until they earn back trust in practice. This is basic coaching, why is this not being applied? This is what happens when you let players do their own thing with no accountability.

Exactly. Consistent effort has much better chance of getting us 4 wins than counting on Green to get hot. 

And if this season is going to go down the toilet at least get Hunter and Franklin as much PT for next year. 

On 2/2/2020 at 8:12 PM, Brass Cannon said:

Green rarely helps our offense. Would much rather reward effort or play a freshmen to develop. 

Let me ask you this:  if IU misses the tournament, do you think CAM is back?

When a coach's job has uncertainty, you can usually see playing freshman to development them kind of go out the window.

10 hours ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Interesting note during this 3 game losing streak.  IU is shooting 18-42 from three. That 42%. 

Of note is that even when we've shot it well, we aren't making many....18 in three games is just 6 per game.  42 shots in three games is 14 per game....only three out of three hundred and fifty teams in D1 are averaging taking less than 14 threes per game.

22 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Exactly. Consistent effort has much better chance of getting us 4 wins than counting on Green to get hot. 

And if this season is going to go down the toilet at least get Hunter and Franklin as much PT for next year. 

I think bringing in Green off the bench when we have started out slowly is worse than starting him and yanking him if he shows what he has been showing.  

Unless you want to play Damezi, Green is going to get some minutes because you aren't going to get by with only playing three guards during the 40 minute course of the game.  

I think bringing in Green off the bench when we have started out slowly is worse than starting him and yanking him if he shows what he has been showing.  
Unless you want to play Damezi, Green is going to get some minutes because you aren't going to get by with only playing three guards during the 40 minute course of the game.  

I’d rather play a chair than Green.

39 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Why not?  Tons of teams go with a 3 guard rotation. Heck I think some of archies Dayton’s team did it I think. 

1)  Archie isn't going anywhere until his contract's up.  Nor should he, yet.  I think the roster is a group of disparate parts right now, in large part due to what was left over.  Green and Davis are bad leaders.   Let's just call that as it is.  They're not good seniors.  May be great kids and I wish them well; but they have not helped this program grow nor have they led.   Al Durham is mediocre at everything.  Justin Smith is unrealized potential and a bad offensive player.  Archie didn't recruit any of them and all 4 play significant roles on this team.

I don't know this to be true, but I have heard a couple of times he was told to try to keep them (and Clifton Moore).   Which means HIS players are now sophomores or younger.  (And let's also face that he recruits far different types of players than Crean did)  You've all seen the picture where the Atlantic and Pacific oceans meet, right?  Sometimes, things don't mix.  This team doesn't mix very well; and I'm willing to give him enough time to build and develop his own roster before I cast him aside as a wrong hire because Indiana has also had significant injuries to deal with.   Hunter in particular because that kid was a bucket getter, only now rounding into his own.  But also Phinisee and Thompson.  Those to some will look/sound like excuses.  They aren't.  They're reality.

2)  Indiana's best lineup lately has been Phinisee, Hunter, Franklin, TJD, and Brunk.   That group looks like they enjoy playing together.  A rarity among this team, and you'll see a very noticeable absence of any upper classmen, save Brunk.  

That may not be popular among the "fire every coach who doesn't win to my level of expectation and in my time frame" crowd, but that's how I see it.

Edit : Saying Archie "could have" filled the open scholarships is an easy argument, but nobody knows his plan.  Nobody knows how he wants to build his roster or this program.  A 12th player wasn't necessarily a good replacement for Green.   Heck, Green was pretty good last February/March.  He's regressed, and that's on HIM.  Not Archie.  

Start Durham and Phinisee at guard and rotate in franklin for a 3 man guard rotation, that’s 26+ minutes each, totally doable. If we filled one of the two open scholarships we could have added a fourth without even thinking about playing Green

Then play hunter at the 3 and TJD and Brunk.

That gives us 3 shooters on the court vs 2.

Having Smith, TJD and Brunk in there at the same time gives us little to no outside threats

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1)  Archie isn't going anywhere until his contract's up.  Nor should he, yet.  I think the roster is a group of disparate parts right now, in large part due to what was left over.  Green and Davis are bad leaders.   Let's just call that as it is.  They're not good seniors.  May be great kids and I wish them well; but they have not helped this program grow nor have they led.   Al Durham is mediocre at everything.  Justin Smith is unrealized potential and a bad offensive player.  Archie didn't recruit any of them and all 4 play significant roles on this team.
I don't know this to be true, but I have heard a couple of times he was told to try to keep them (and Clifton Moore).   Which means HIS players are now sophomores or younger.  (And let's also face that he recruits far different types of players than Crean did)  You've all seen the picture where the Atlantic and Pacific oceans meet, right?  Sometimes, things don't mix.  This team doesn't mix very well; and I'm willing to give him enough time to build and develop his own roster before I cast him aside as a wrong hire because Indiana has also had significant injuries to deal with.   Hunter in particular because that kid was a bucket getter, only now rounding into his own.  But also Phinisee and Thompson.  Those to some will look/sound like excuses.  They aren't.  They're reality.
2)  Indiana's best lineup lately has been Phinisee, Hunter, Franklin, TJD, and Brunk.   That group looks like they enjoy playing together.  A rarity among this team, and you'll see a very noticeable absence of any upper classmen, save Brunk.  
That may not be popular among the "fire every coach who doesn't win to my level of expectation and in my time frame" crowd, but that's how I see it.
Edit : Saying Archie "could have" filled the open scholarships is an easy argument, but nobody knows his plan.  Nobody knows how he wants to build his roster or this program.  A 12th player wasn't necessarily a good replacement for Green.   Heck, Green was pretty good last February/March.  He's regressed, and that's on HIM.  Not Archie.  

Archie will either be fired before his contract is up or he will figure out how to coach basketball and get an extension. Durham and Smith are his. As bad as you want to convince yourself, Archie has been their only coach. Injuries aren’t an excuse anymore. This team and coach have serious issues and need to make massive changes. But guess what? Archie is all talk. He will say changes need to be made but guess what will happen? Nothing. The same will continue to be done because he doesn’t have a clue and he is on pace to not seeing a year 5 at IU. He may not see a year 4 if things take a turn for the worst and he’s back in the NIT.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Archie will either be fired before his contract is up or he will figure out how to coach basketball and get an extension. Durham and Smith are his. As bad as you want to convince yourself, Archie has been their only coach. Injuries aren’t an excuse anymore. This team and coach have serious issues and need to make massive changes. But guess what? Archie is all talk. He will say changes need to be made but guess what will happen? Nothing. The same will continue to be done because he doesn’t have a clue and he is on pace to not seeing a year 5 at IU. He may not see a year 4 if things take a turn for the worst and he’s back in the NIT.

Well since you are all knowing and have it all forecasted, does that mean you will stop watching? Please tell me it does.

I am thinking that isn't the case though. 

8 hours ago, Old Friend said:

You hope Archie makes it to the end of his contract but there is zero chance he gets seven years if he does not make tournament before that. Most he gets is 4 or 5 if  he still has not made tourney by then. 

False as leader everything is on him. It was foolish to ride into the season with 4 guards anyway. We should have gotten somebody else to add depth.  

This. The core of this team will be back next year barring the unforeseen. And there is a strong possibility they will be back for the next two years. Add in Thompson and you have a really good six man rotation that will have played multiple years together. 

This year was always a bridge year and all predictions were that this team would be a bubble team. Well guess what? that is where they are because that is in accordance with the talent on the roster. Next year and the year after are where Indiana really makes its jump. If that doesn't happen, then yes something serious went wrong and Archie will have questions to answer. 

Call me a slow learner. Call me stupid, I don't care. I don't have the mob mentality.