Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

RaceToTheTop

Starting lineup

Thoughts?

IMO, the starts we are getting off to the last three games seems to say that something needs to be shook up.

IMO, the biggest culprits right now are Justin Smith and Al Durham.  Green plays hero ball....but Durham has been playing zero ball where he's simply not making himself an offensive option.  Justin Smith continues to not finish shots at the rim.

I think I might looks to start Green in place of Durham and Hunter in place of Smith.  Certainly gives us a little better outside shooters.

I'm there with everyone that Green's leash has to be short.  But right now what is happening is that he doesn't start, he comes in the game and immediately forces the issue, making us fall behind even farther.  Right now we are waiting to see if bad or good DeVonte shows up....and if we're already down, bad DeVonte just helps dig a bigger hole.  And it seems to me that bringing him off the bench has just furthered his attitude of getting his shots up.  I say start him with a short leash rather than bring him off the bench with one.  He's certainly not picking up anything from the bench that would help him in the game -- he's not paying that much attention.  Durham, on the other hand, at least might take in some of the action and respond better than he has done as a starter.

Hunter has definitely been playing better in the last couple of games and might now provide a legitimate shooter from the forward position.  Smith isn't, and maybe Smith is a guy who might be better served as well to come in off the bench and bring in energy.

I would like to see Phinisee, Franklin, Hunter, Smith and TJD. Bring Brunk, Thompson, Al off the bench. Davis in with foul trouble or if he’s playing well or if Brunk isn’t playing well. Green gets in if we are up or down 20 with a minutes left in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

15 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I would like to see Phinisee, Franklin, Hunter, Smith and TJD. Bring Brunk, Thompson, Al off the bench. Davis in with foul trouble or if he’s playing well or if Brunk isn’t playing well. Green gets in if we are up or down 20 with a minutes left in the game.

I could see that as a possibility and would have some advantages. I, however, have a hard time understanding how we as fans are better able to determine coaching decisions than the coaches are. There are lots of things that I don't understand when watching the games concerning coaching decisions. But they have infinitely more information about the team than I do, so what do I know. Ultimately, CAM is the one whose head is on the line and he will succeed or fail doing things his way. It's fun (?) to speculate though, if anything can be fun at this point.

I could see that as a possibility and would have some advantages. I, however, have a hard time understanding how we as fans are better able to determine coaching decisions than the coaches are. There are lots of things that I don't understand when watching the games concerning coaching decisions. But they have infinitely more information about the team than I do, so what do I know. Ultimately, CAM is the one whose head is on the line and he will succeed or fail doing things his way. It's fun (?) to speculate though, if anything can be fun at this point.

It’s frustrating as hell at this point. You make $3mil a year and just talk and never do. On that alone should be done. His time here is essentially over.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I agree.....but I guarantee that coaches second guess themselves as well when things aren't going right.  I'd say that the rotation not getting shorter has a heck of a lot to do with no one stepping up in practices and games.

I'm not a guy who is going to spout out online about 'what an idiot' a coach is who doesn't start a lineup that I think might work.  But I'd rather talk about speculation of the future than continue to wallow in an unsuccessful performance.

2 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

Watching Kansas vs Texas tech and Auburn vs Kentucky makes me realize how bad we really are. No toughness, no leadership, no perimeter ability, and no swag!

I'm not sure I'd use Auburn and Kentucky as an example of a game where we want to emulate perimeter shooting.  IU has made about a dozen more threes than UK and I believe after today is also hitting a higher percentage of threes.  Auburn shoots a ton of threes but is shooting 32% from deep.

I'm not sure I'd use Auburn and Kentucky as an example of a game where we want to emulate perimeter shooting.  IU has made about a dozen more threes than UK and I believe after today is also hitting a higher percentage of threes.  Auburn shoots a ton of threes but is shooting 32% from deep.

They play tough and finish at the rim!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

You want to reward Green by giving him a starting spot again?  Screw that if Durham is going to the bench let Franklin start. 

Smith is going enough to still start  pretty sure he’s over 50% for the last 5 games  

I do think it’s time to bring Hunter into the starting line up move Smith to the 4  Brunk to the bench  

Al and Brunk off the bench.  Race if he is healthy as well

22 hours ago, Chad Richardson said:

I like TJD/HUNTER/RACE/PHIN/FRANK

if we are up against a team that can shoot

they might be able to get back from the hedge

This should be more like a 2021 lineup....Three of these guys just aren't high major starters yet.....Also, Brunk probably needs to start. Outside of TJD, he is one of the few that consistently bring it game in and game out. I like Race but haven't seen him put it together for more than a few games....he gets going and then gets hurt. 

58 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

You want to reward Green by giving him a starting spot again?  Screw that if Durham is going to the bench let Franklin start. 

Smith is going enough to still start  pretty sure he’s over 50% for the last 5 games  

I do think it’s time to bring Hunter into the starting line up move Smith to the 4  Brunk to the bench  

If Green plays hero ball now, I highly doubt saying 'help us Obi-Wan' is going to change that at all.

The starting lineup is fine for me. Care less about who starts than distribution of minutes. But Hunter is at the point where he needs to play 25 minutes. He’s ready and his talent and versatility create matchup advantages that no one else on this roster brings. Since Archie refuses to go smaller, I’d be interested to see him try going bigger. Put Brunk or De’Ron on the floor with TJD, Smith, Hunter and Rob for stretches. Does a couple of things: creates  an exploitable matchup for either Hunter or Smith. Would love to see Hunter run that curl cut off the pindown that Archie likes to run for Al. He could also take it to the wing for a 3. Also like it defensively. When Brunk or De’Ron hedge a ball screen and can’t recover, the backside rotation help for the roll man would be Smith or Hunter, not Al or Franklin or Green. Also, if the passer throws the skip pass to the weak corner for the 3, you have a bigger, longer guy to recover and contest. Of course, that lineup might turn it over like there’s no tomorrow. But I just really want to see it.

4 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Regardless of who starts at guard you are going to be rewarding traits you don’t want at the guard position.  IMO RP has played well enough to keep starting.  But Al and Armaan bring nothing offensively lately and Damezi is a shooter who can’t shoot.  DeVonte frustrates the hell out of me.  But I guess I don’t get the amount of finger pointing his way when the whole 25 good / 75 bad you are referring to stands for other guards....and their 25 good has less upside.