Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs Penn St 1/29 8:30 pm BTN

10 hours ago, yogisballin said:

I’ll keep saying it bc I’ve said it all year. IU is not a tournament team. What games are we winning the rest of the way? PeeYew and Minny at home? I don’t feel real confident about those anyway

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

We have 10 games left plus the BTT. Four or five more wins will get them in, especially given the wins we already have and the lack of “bad losses”, even though we look BAD when we lose. The team’s chances are indicative of the college basketball landscape this year, which is there are no great teams. For all the talk of how deep the Big Ten is this year, every one of these teams is objectively average at best. I’m not kidding. There isn’t a single team in the B10 this year that would finish top 5 in the league in most of the previous 15 seasons. 

So enjoy it, because as bad as we looked tonight, how putrid our backcourt is, the recurring scoring droughts, and the fact we’re a bubble team at best any other year, this team could just as likely make the Elite Eight this year. It’s a very weak year for college basketball, and some no name programs are going to be making the FF come April.

13 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

What does the team making the NCAA tourney this season prove? That the team got better or college basketball got worse? Have we made improvements anywhere?
Last year: 71.5 ppg, 36.3 rpg, 13.4 apg, 45.7% FG, 53.1% 2PT, 31.2% 3PT, 65.5% FT.

This year: 73.5 ppg, 39.3 rpg, 13.3 apg, 45.3% FG, 51.3% 2PT, 30.5% 3PT, 68.2%

We are actually worse at shooting this season than last. The only player above Races almost team leading 37.5% from 3 is Cooper Bybee. Who is 1-1 on the season. We haven’t really gotten better. Teams around have gotten worse. Same problems as last year and the first. Any solutions on their way next season? Nope. Season after that? Nope. Making the NCAA shouldn’t be the standard. We should be wanting that PLUS IMPROVEMENT. There hasn’t been any. This team has absolutely fizzled after the FSU game just like they did last season after Marquette with all the same problems.

What does it prove? Well considering the league we play in is deeper than it’s likely ever been, it would prove that we’ve taken a step forward. Anybody that looked at this team going into the season and thought anything more than making the tournament should be a realistic goal, I would argue just simply wasn’t thinking clearly. (My caveat here is that I’m not saying we should hope to lose in the first round, but that we should shoot for making the tourney b/c anything can happen after that). I do agree with you that making the tourney shouldn’t be the standard. I don’t want that to be the standard. But unfortunately that’s where we are. We need to make the tournament, and when we do, that will be improvement. And then we need to keep making the tournament, and then win the damn thing. 

I just cannot figure out what the hell happened with Damezi. I saw a couple of his school games (not in person, but on a video stream) and while I didn't think he'd be a superstar, I thought he could contribute. And as this video shows (granted, it's set up to accentuate the positive), he at one time could shoot the ball. I saw him tonight take a 3 from the just beyond the top of the key -- it wasn't wide-open, but he wasn't necessarily under heavy duress -- and he totally clanked it. Didn't even hit the rim. You almost have to try to do that. How can you shoot a head-on 3 pointer and not hit the rim? I just don't get it. Earlier this season, he knocked down a couple 3s and it gave me hope that he had found his stroke. But since then, to quote the ultra-obnoxious Dickie V: "It's been Brick City, baybee!" ... I don't think at this point, he could make a 2-footer standing all alone under the basket. I am totally perplexed. 

Yes Penn State is better this year and the Big Ten has been a gauntlet on the road, but I thought we looked solid against Nebraska and Rutgers on the road and PSU isn't quite as good as Rutgers nor is the Bryce Jordan Center quite as live as the RAC this season. PSU got throttled by Wisky at home and I think outside of Myreon Jones this is a solid matchup for us.
Now I'm not expecting a win because I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than annoyed depending on the result, but I think this game is closer than Vegas indicates. Archie has coached well against the Nittany Lions in past seasons and I believe Justin Smith also matches up well with Stevens. Lamar is listed at 6'8" 225 and Justin at 6'7" 230. Will be interesting to see whether he or TJD gets the call against Stevens. I also believe the Hoosiers have been playing some of their best basketball of the season these last several games minus the final minute against Maryland. Shoot the ball somewhat well , pray CuJo doesn't drop 30, and I think we've got a good chance at escaping with some roadkill. 

Welp guess I was wrong

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

What does it prove? Well considering the league we play in is deeper than it’s likely ever been, it would prove that we’ve taken a step forward. Anybody that looked at this team going into the season and thought anything more than making the tournament should be a realistic goal, I would argue just simply wasn’t thinking clearly. (My caveat here is that I’m not saying we should hope to lose in the first round, but that we should shoot for making the tourney b/c anything can happen after that). I do agree with you that making the tourney shouldn’t be the standard. I don’t want that to be the standard. But unfortunately that’s where we are. We need to make the tournament, and when we do, that will be improvement. And then we need to keep making the tournament, and then win the damn thing. 

I don’t think you’re understanding. Is it really improvement when we aren’t actually any better or is it because college basketball is actually the weakest it’s been since who knows when? The quality of basketball clearly hasn’t gotten any better. Has any improvement been seen? Sure we have a better, but are we actually any better of a team? No. There needs to be improvement on the court. Just making the NCAA tournament without any actual improvement in play is just polishing a turd.

I think we need 10 conference wins to feel safe about getting in the tourney.
We have won 5 conference games with 5 home and 5 away games still to go. I think we “can” win a road game but do not feel particularly confident about any of them......@OSU, @UM, @Minny, @PU,@ILLINI
A win Sat would be huge and give us a little breathing room. 

9-11 in the B1G would get us in and maybe even 8-12. Conference records aren’t even looked at when it comes to the selection committee anyway. The truth of the matter is, the bubble is going to be very weak this year and each game that IU plays, their SOS will keep rising and our schedule has all but 2 Quad 1 games remaining meaning win a few and our NET looks pretty decent. Out of the 11 minimum remaining games, just need to find 4 and they’re safely in. Do I think they can get 4 more wins, yes. Do I have confidence they get 4 more wins, no. That Maryland game is most likely going to cost them the season and possibly Archie’s job.

6 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

I just cannot figure out what the hell happened with Damezi. I saw a couple of his school games (not in person, but on a video stream) and while I didn't think he'd be a superstar, I thought he could contribute. And as this video shows (granted, it's set up to accentuate the positive), he at one time could shoot the ball. I saw him tonight take a 3 from the just beyond the top of the key -- it wasn't wide-open, but he wasn't necessarily under heavy duress -- and he totally clanked it. Didn't even hit the rim. You almost have to try to do that. How can you shoot a head-on 3 pointer and not hit the rim? I just don't get it. Earlier this season, he knocked down a couple 3s and it gave me hope that he had found his stroke. But since then, to quote the ultra-obnoxious Dickie V: "It's been Brick City, baybee!" ... I don't think at this point, he could make a 2-footer standing all alone under the basket. I am totally perplexed. 

I thought Damezi could be a solid contributor. I liked his size and strength. I dont know what happened to his shot. He got more lift on his jumper in HS than he does in college.

8 hours ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

All I've said is make the tourney this year, problem is with the schedule coming up and our egg against a bad PSU team it doesn't look good.  Let's face it, the quit is strong with this team (again) and it's not an easy road coming up.

Making a 68 team field isn't much of an accomplishment and shouldn't be viewed like one.

49 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

All I've said is make the tourney this year, problem is with the schedule coming up and our egg against a bad PSU team it doesn't look good.  Let's face it, the quit is strong with this team (again) and it's not an easy road coming up.

Making a 68 team field isn't much of an accomplishment and shouldn't be viewed like one.

This isn’t a bad Penn State team. The egg was the end of the MD game.

I see us winning at least four of our remaining home games and getting one on the road. 

Our guard play is horrendous! We have depth but when your backcourt starters are mediocre, your going to have an inconsistent season. We need a leader, a quarterback that can steer the ship. Rob is supposed to be that guy, but instead he and the rest of our guards are playing worse than their rankings coming out of high school. Nothing wrong with good 4 year players, but Archie is going to have to land some elite guards if we want to complete. All the really good teams have them.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Now that I've calmed down a bit from last night, I looked at the remaining schedule and can see maybe 5-6 games that are winnable.  Those would be huge to add toward our NCAA tourney resume.  BUT, there has to be some better and more consistent production\play from our backcourt to pull that off.

I thought Damezi could be a solid contributor. I liked his size and strength. I dont know what happened to his shot. He got more lift on his jumper in HS than he does in college.

I just noticed this too. His shot now is basically flat (no arch) and seems to be a different form altogether from HS. How strange is that?

I just noticed this too. His shot now is basically flat (no arch) and seems to be a different form altogether from HS. How strange is that?

It almost looks like he is rushing it and it comes out flat with no lift. It is weird.

It almost looks like he is rushing it and it comes out flat with no lift. It is weird.

A little more from the legs would help and he leans back some. It’s awkward shot and has become more awkward. He needs to work on his balance when shooting and getting some more leg into it. He has a fairly low release point as well for a guy his size but it’s quick. Honestly it’s almost Lonzo Ball in college without the hitch.

10 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

I have nothing against him but he sure hasn't developed or shown the ability to contribute on the offensive end.  I have no issue with his effort - he did grab several rebounds last night, but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a bazooka and had plays where he just wasn't alert (specifically the 10-second call when Green was triple teamed in the backcourt). He's been healthy and available for the entirety of almost two full seasons - and the clock is ticking.

16 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

At this point, he doesn't look like a high D1 player.....didn't have confidence last year and this year it just seems like everything is off.