Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Ball State Transfer C Payton Sparks to Indiana and back to Ball State

48 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

I'm not sure Sparks brings what we need. He only attempted seven 3-point shots and missed them all. I guess you could say he would fit right in with IU's outside shooting abilities.

Well if we lose TJD, Race, and then one of Durr or Duncomb you will need someone. He got 13 and 8 as a freshman. Looks like he hits a 12-15 ft jumper so that is something that TJD didn't have. There is a chance we lose 3 big guys. We don't want to go into next season with Duncomb as the starting center on day 1

OK. Maybe there will be no big men available who can shoot outside.  But if Sparks comes to IU, I don't want to hear people whining about how we don't have enough players who can take it outside. Sparks was not highly rated coming out of high school. Outside shooting obviously is not a strength. The level of competition Ball State plays is not comparable to what Big Ten teams play. Maybe he was a diamond in the rough and still developing. If he comes, I hope so.

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

I'm not sure Sparks brings what we need. He only attempted seven 3-point shots and missed them all. I guess you could say he would fit right in with IU's outside shooting abilities.

I would think that looking at him should be a big clue as to what the coaching staff is expecting to lose in the offseason.  This guy doesn't need to be a shooter if he is the down low rebound and put back guy that we are probably going to be without once everything is said and done.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I would think that looking at him should be a big clue as to what the coaching staff is expecting to lose in the offseason.  This guy doesn't need to be a shooter if he is the down low rebound and put back guy that we are probably going to be without once everything is said and done.

And he hits the 12-15 footer. People say can he finish around the rim against Big Ten, but even TJD had trouble with that so I think he will be fine. 

From today's Indy Star

“Indiana has been contacting me more and more lately,” Sparks said. “Other schools I would say that have been talking to me, Loyola (Chicago). West Virginia’s been pretty persistent. Iowa State has been pretty persistent too. Cincinnati’s been pretty persistent.”  

17 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

looking like we are all in on Payton Sparks

I expect him to be a Hoosier

Because he's skilled, successful, a full-size legit big, local, and has three full years of eligibility.

Make. It Happen.

Also -- there's a really nice 'day in the life of Payton Sparks' recent video on YouTube. This is a classy, squared away young man, with a legit B1G build:

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Because he's skilled, successful, a full-size legit big, local, and has three full years of eligibility.

Make. It Happen.

Also -- there's a really nice 'day in the life of Payton Sparks' recent video on YouTube. This is a classy, squared away young man, with a legit B1G build:

Looking at their facilities, he'll think he hit the lottery if he sees ours. 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

From today's Indy Star

“Indiana has been contacting me more and more lately,” Sparks said. “Other schools I would say that have been talking to me, Loyola (Chicago). West Virginia’s been pretty persistent. Iowa State has been pretty persistent too. Cincinnati’s been pretty persistent.”  

Have to think that A) Trayce and Race are gone and B) I think Indiana gets him in this case. Would I like to get him? Yes! Averaging 13 and 8 as a freshman in any conference is impressive! But we have to be careful with expectations. I expected way too much out of our transfers at the 2 and 3 spot for our team this year. 

Alford Bailey said, "Watched him a bunch in HS. May be wrong but I don’t see BIG level here."

My concern is that IU may be rushing out to grab the first player who is 6'7'', 6'8'' whether or not he is a player who is truly capable to play at Big Ten level. Sparks was not highly rated. Ball State competition is not Big Ten competition. Yes, we need more bigs but is he the right one?

1 minute ago, Honkyman said:

Alford Bailey said, "Watched him a bunch in HS. May be wrong but I don’t see BIG level here."

My concern is that IU may be rushing out to grab the first player who is 6'7'', 6'8'' whether or not he is a player who is truly capable to play at Big Ten level. Sparks was not highly rated. Ball State competition is not Big Ten competition. Yes, we need more bigs but is he the right one?

I don't want him if IU is going to keep either Race or Trayce. Especially Trayce. They can't clog the lane up with him and Race. I'd rather have him at the 5 and Geronimo at the 4. No way he comes here to come off the bench. That being said this team HAS to go after a shooter in the portal. 

1 hour ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I don't want him if IU is going to keep either Race or Trayce. Especially Trayce. They can't clog the lane up with him and Race. I'd rather have him at the 5 and Geronimo at the 4. No way he comes here to come off the bench. That being said this team HAS to go after a shooter in the portal. 

The staff probably already has a good idea of who they expect to lose. 

Maybe they never expect Duncomb to contribute at this level, and Sparks provides an upgrade there.

A lot still needs to happen, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the idea of adding Sparks even if we keep Race and Trayce. If we lose Durr and Duncomb, we'll need another big body.

3 hours ago, Honkyman said:

How about a legit 6'9", 240 player? With a plus wingspan?

After watching a highlight real of his year at BSU (not the best way to judge a player I know but still) it seems like some may be discounting what this kid can do. 

I saw a kid who can easily get up high for rebounds, dunk through contact, and out muscle and body his defenders. Definitely not the unathletic, below the rim post player that some here are describing as far as I can see. I’m sure he isn’t a TJD level athlete but considering it sounds like he can hit from mid range better, I don’t see why he couldn’t work as the 1 in within our offensive scheme. 

4 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Watched him a bunch in HS. May be wrong but I don’t see BIG level here.

Based on who recruited him in HS and who is recruiting him now, at least some people clearly think he’s a different player than he was in HS. 

I have no idea if they’re right. 

11 minutes ago, Hoosier Roots said:

After watching a highlight real of his year at BSU (not the best way to judge a player I know but still) it seems like some may be discounting what this kid can do. 

I saw a kid who can easily get up high for rebounds, dunk through contact, and out muscle and body his defenders. Definitely not the unathletic, below the rim post player that some here are describing as far as I can see. I’m sure he isn’t a TJD level athlete but considering it sounds like he can hit from mid range better, I don’t see why he couldn’t work as the 1 in within our offensive scheme. 

Did he make most of his bunnies? If so I'm sold