Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosier Guy

Maryland at IU Game Thread 01/26 1 PM CBS

I find it hard to not blame archie in a game like this. His team sucks at free throws. They didn't play smart down the stretch. What's not to blame the coach for. He is probably taking full responsibility ad he should

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Archie wasn't perfect, but IU fought back hard against good team after being down 14. He coaches a good game. Could have done a few things differently, but they played and coached well enough to win.

IU was 7-10 at the line. The free throw attempt disparity is what cost us today, not our FT percentage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two straight games and Archie is out-coached by arguably the worst coach in the league. Archie should have had three ball handlers in the game during the final minute. Jerome Hunter should not have been handling the ball that he threw away. It is too bad because before that miscue Hunter had played his best game yet at IU. Also, Al Durham threw up a 3-pointer with 20 seconds left on the shot clock and Green made a bad shot, though there were only a few seconds left on the clock. Archie had plenty of time outs. He needed to take one and make it clear how they should handled the final minute or more. This is a game IU definitely should have won.

44 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

Just find 4 more wins. I don’t care how or where, but that’s all we need to get in the tourney which is the goal this year. If we can get in the tourney and we play our best basketball we can compete with anyone. Just can’t let this loss linger and that’s what I’m really afraid of.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I am thinking the bar is a little higher than that, after showing what this team is capable of right now, and counting on this team to continue to improve a lot down the stretch, unlike the Crean teams that faded down the stretch.  (ftr I like Crean and what he tried to do here.  he really loved IU, and was proud of being here)

16 minutes ago, iubb said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Words from someone forced to do so by their coach are meaningless.  Walking toward the crowd with 14 seconds repeatedly saying **** You speaks louder than a forced apology

i get that he’s a 19 year old.  But two things didn’t happen:  the refs didn’t T him and sturgeon didn’t bench him.

Devastating loss. Absolutely devastating. Fought so hard to comeback. Had a nearly guaranteed win in its grasp only to make every imaginable error possible with 75 seconds left.

With 2 more losses next week, it could be a season on the brink. Needed this one.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

By the way, I've got a hunch that this is EXACTLY how a Michigan State fan would have felt under very similar circumstances after our narrow win over them this week.
Good lord, we are witnessing some high-level, high-pressure basketball. The best possible preparation for NCAA tournament games.

Maybe, but MSU fans expect to win on the road. This was a home game. Major difference.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

By the way, I've got a hunch that this is EXACTLY how a Michigan State fan would have felt under very similar circumstances after our narrow win over them this week.
Good lord, we are witnessing some high-level, high-pressure basketball. The best possible preparation for NCAA tournament games.

Only difference is they are almost guaranteed a tournament and this loss to us is scary when you look at the schedule that is where my anxiety comes from. If we win a game this week I will feel better. I think we could easily lose 4 games in a row and hopefully not worse. That is all I am worried about

Only difference is they are almost guaranteed a tournament and this loss to us is scary when you look at the schedule that is where my anxiety comes from. If we win a game this week I will feel better. I think we could easily lose 4 games in a row and hopefully not worse. That is all I am worried about

Same

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Scary to some. I’m guessing last year is fresh in peoples minds. All I can say is IU looks the part of a ncaa tournament that’s not on the bubble. They are going to have to win some games but if you are doing the eye test around the rest of college basketball IU is going to be just fine come selection Sunday. Today is a tough one because they let a quad 1a game slip away. Lucky for them they have 9 of those left

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Smith traveled on the shot for the lead. My question is that is a very simple play. Why is TJD leaving Smith? And then Green leaves him to just run to the basket?

The other night against MSU, Winston was driving down the lane, Durham saw him, and actually ran AWAY from him because his man was wide open in the corner. It's like these guys just don't understand basic concepts of defense. We're always out of position, always scrambling, always hoping the other team just misses. 

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

Scary to some. I’m guessing last year is fresh in peoples minds. All I can say is IU looks the part of a ncaa tournament that’s not on the bubble. They are going to have to win some games but if you are doing the eye test around the rest of college basketball IU is going to be just fine come selection Sunday. Today is a tough one because they let a quad 1a game slip away. Lucky for them they have 9 of those left

^^This^^
Before the game they put a graphic up that had Jerry Palm with IU pegged as a six seed.
After a one point loss to a top 15 team, a six seed is not “on the bubble.”

The other night against MSU, Winston was driving down the lane, Durham saw him, and actually ran AWAY from him because his man was wide open in the corner. It's like these guys just don't understand basic concepts of defense. We're always out of position, always scrambling, always hoping the other team just misses. 

The hedging and covering create many of these out of position problems.

This loss hurts so much since we had it in the bag but only 6 turnovers, 7-10 from FT, and 9-19 from 3. That’s pretty encouraging basketball. If Maryland doesn’t go lights out from 3 first half, this is a runaway win. Unfortunately, we let this one slip away but hard to be mad at his team given our effort and the way we played outside of the final minute. Keep building and getting better and we should be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I appreciate your insight and attempt to ease my stress and you watch far more basketball than I could even imagine. Yeah last year is very fresh in my mind but so is a lot of years of iu basketball of devastation. I pray you are correct. I think we need 5 wins hopefully we can get them