Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IU Football Off-Season

12 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Listening to Dan Patrick Show. He just said his source told him football seasons for the Pac-12 and B1G would be conference games only. 

For one, his "sources" are often wrong. For two, how can they make that determination at this point? I would think we have  a few weeks before things like that need to be finalized. 

With Penixs injury history that might be for the best 

Nicole Auerbach - The Big Ten is expected to announce today that it will go with a conference-only football schedule for this fall, a person with direct knowledge situation tells @TheAthleticCFB

Interesting. I presume the non conference games that aren’t played won’t be replaced with more conference games.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, mamasa said:

Wonder how bowl eligibility will be determined!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I thought the same thing. Then I started thinking that the Big Ten is likely the first domino to fall. Playing that out, if every conference is trying to limit travel, and bowl games won't be able to sell tickets, it's really hard to see bowl games being played. I'm not sure how a conference can justify having teams travel across the country for a bowl game if they weren't willing to have teams travel for out of conference games. 

I’m in the “let’s be cautious camp”, and doubt games, if they take place, will be played in front of a meaningful number of fans but......if we do proceed with conference games why not allow non-conference games that involve a bus trip and do not require a hotel stay? Why is it theoretically “safe” to play Ohio State but unwise to play nearby Ball State?  I understand not wanting a team to pile on a plane for a 5 hour flight to the West Coast, with maybe 2 nights of hotels, but a short drive to Muncie?

In any case I think there is at best a 50-50 chance that games will be played at all.

Wonder how bowl eligibility will be determined!

I’m going to assume they will announce that bowl games will not happen this year in the next 3-4 weeks. Hearing rumors (Sam Story) that a bigger college football announcement is coming soon and it’s “unfortunate.”

21 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I’m in the “let’s be cautious camp”, and doubt games, if they take place, will be played in front of a meaningful number of fans but......if we do proceed with conference games why not allow non-conference games that involve a bus trip and do not require a hotel stay? Why is it theoretically “safe” to play Ohio State but unwise to play nearby Ball State?  I understand not wanting a team to pile on a plane for a 5 hour flight to the West Coast, with maybe 2 nights of hotels, but a short drive to Muncie?

In any case I think there is at best a 50-50 chance that games will be played at all.

I'm hoping we have some evolution of thought here once more conferences settle on how they'll proceed. You're correct, there is no reason for us to get rid of the Ball St. game, or even the Western KY game for that matter. I can see something happening like an agreement between the MAC and Big Ten for at least one non-conference game, maybe more. Hopefully they will end up allowing teams to keep non-conference games that are within their geographical footprint (i.e. Wisconsin/Notre Dame, Iowa/ISU, etc.)

I believe that has to do with the umbrella of the Big Ten. The new Big Ten committee on infectious diseases protocol people (or whatever) set the rules around teams and COVID. The conference wouldn’t have that power over the MAC or any other conference regardless of geographical location.

3 hours ago, jbell833 said:

I’m going to assume they will announce that bowl games will not happen this year in the next 3-4 weeks. Hearing rumors (Sam Story) that a bigger college football announcement is coming soon and it’s “unfortunate.”

Hoping this is one of the times that Sam is misinformed :(

- A great double dose of #IUFB recruiting tomorrow. - Heard the "new" Big Ten FB schedule is out today sometime. But, they won't be playing until the Spring so only means so much. - A few more IUBB targets in action this weekend at places. Cheers to your weekend! GO IU!
9:40 AM · Jul 31, 2020·Twitter Web App

24 minutes ago, mamasa said:
- A great double dose of #IUFB recruiting tomorrow. - Heard the "new" Big Ten FB schedule is out today sometime. But, they won't be playing until the Spring so only means so much. - A few more IUBB targets in action this weekend at places. Cheers to your weekend! GO IU!
9:40 AM · Jul 31, 2020·Twitter Web App

If Sam Story says we’re doing football in the spring that’s pretty good confirmation we’ll be playing in the fall. 

Speaking Out – Indiana Receivers Poised to Step Up

Story Links

By Pete DiPrimio
IUHoosiers.com

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - Sometimes, if you're Grant Heard, you lead by stepping back. As Indiana's receivers coach, you let your veterans take charge, by example, of course, by word through necessity.

And, as you might imagine in these pandemic times, by online technology.

The biggest burden falls on seniors Whop Philyor and Ty Fryfogle, but they don't bear it alone. In this one-for-all, all-for-one quest, where a football break-through season to follow a break-through season is possible, players must show the way.

And with coronavirus-caused separation poised to end, Heard ratchets up the intensity. Hoosiers quarterbacks threw for 3,931 yards last season. They attempted 473 passes.

It could be even more this season. Heard has to make sure his receivers are up to it.

So ask him what he expects from Philyor and Fryfogle, who combined for 115 catches for 1,606 yards and eight touchdowns during last season's 8-5 run, and intensity follows.

"I hadn't seen them in months (following the cancelation of spring ball). I gave them responsibilities to lead meetings sometimes. I didn't want to be a part of it because if I'm there and something isn't right, I know I'm going to take charge.

"I'm trying to give them freedom to do stuff, to get guys together, to do it on their own and develop them speaking out.

"Ty and Whop don't like to speak out a whole bunch. I know people think Whop's personality is outgoing, but he is really a shy person. Ty doesn't say a word. It's trying to get those guys to speak out and start being leaders on their own. Hopefully they've been doing it. They say it's been going good."

Then, with veteran receivers Nick Westbrook and Donavan Hale gone to pursue NFL options, Heard expands the responsibility.

"To me, it's not about seniors, it's not about playing. It's about what needs to be done. Whoever it is, somebody step up. Somebody step up and lead the room.

"I don't truly believe that just because you're a senior, you're a leader. Leaders can be anybody. So hopefully somebody in that room, I would love for it to be Whop or Ty, but somebody needs to step up and fill those roles that Nick left and Donavan left."
Philyor had a monster season last year, with 70 catches for 1,002 yards and five touchdowns. In his first two IU seasons, he totaled 56 catches, 570 yards and four TDs.

Philyor has a chance to be the Big Ten's top receiver, but it will require the best preparation of his college career.

What does Heard expect from him?

"Just to understand defenses more. I feel comfortable about him knowing our playbook and what we ask him to do from our end. Now I'm putting pressure on him to know more defenses. What they're trying to do to take him away, to take certain plays away, why we're calling certain stuff, just to open his mind up and become a more well-rounded football player.

"If I was playing against us, I'd say let's try to take Whop away, he's one of their main guys."

That was certainly true against Michigan State, when Philyor totaled 14 catches for 142 yards and two touchdowns. He also had 14 catches for 178 yards against Nebraska, and 10 catches for 182 yards against Rutgers.

"He's probably one of our more explosive guys as far as making explosive plays," Heard says. "I take it as a challenge that if they take him away, someone else has to step up."

Fryfogle and David Ellis (who got extra time at running back this spring) come to the forefront.

"I think we have enough people in our room now and on this offense to take the load," Heard says. "David Ellis is doing awesome. Ty Fryfogle can make plays, so it gives other people an opportunity to go out there and take the touches that (Philyor) might have gotten because they want to take him away. They can come out of their shell and show everybody what they can do."

Heard's job -- which also includes co-offensive coordinator duties -- is to develop a receiving room full of depth. The potential is there with talented young returning players such as Miles Marshall, Da'Shaun Brown, Jordan Jakes and Jacolby Hewitt.

Because of the pandemic, much of the development has come away from campus.

"With not having spring ball," Heard says, "that is a big issue, because it was their time to show everybody what they can do.

"They needed to make sure they came back in shape. Learn as much as they can away from us, which was difficult at times."

Especially when it must be done without any coaching feedback.

"Some of my guys are doers," Heard says. "They need to do it, read it in the playbook and see exactly what they need. They had to do it virtually and on their own, take a bunch of mental reps and try to learn in that way."

To help them, Heard had his drills accessible via the Internet for viewing at any time.

"My drill tape was up on the server where they could watch it. They could go out there and do drills.

"Now each kid is a little bit different because of the area that they were in. They might not have been able to go out to the parks because of restrictions.

"I said 'If you have to, run driveway to driveway. Do something.' For me it's more conditioning, making sure they're in shape.

"The older ones knew the drills they needed to work on, the Miles's, the Whop's, the Ty's. They know what it's like and what they need to get ready for in a game.

"The younger ones, they have not played and it's a little bit different. So mentally I just really wanted them to hone in on what we're doing, what we're doing offensively, and then the drills I put on tape for them to watch. It's not me standing there making sure they're running routes. They had to make sure they were doing it."

On-your-own training is crucial, not only amid a pandemic, but for those with NFL aspirations, which is true for just about any college player, realistic or not.

"This was an NFL-type model," Heard says. "When they're with us, we have complete control over them. We can say you're working out at this time, running at this time and this and that.

"I challenged them, if you want to be NFL guys, NFL guys were not at their facilities that time of year anyway. If you want to start getting yourself into that lifestyle, this is where it is. You need to do training yourself. You need to be self-motivated and it's going to show."

11 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

That beginning month looks brutal emoji30.png

(Assuming the season gets played for the purposes of this post)

We need to steal the PSU game, otherwise we may very well start the season 1-5. 

In all likelihood, this thing gets cancelled 3-4 weeks in if it even begins, but this a very front loaded schedule for us.

I also think the state of Indiana got screwed on this. Everyone else is getting their primary rivalry game in by mid-October, with the understanding it’s better to move up (OSU/UM, Wisconsin/Minny, etc.) than further risk that game not being played. The Bucket game is completely expendable in this scenario to the Big Ten.