Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IU Football Off-Season

Sure, he's bigger -- and probably better. But will it matter if he can't stay healthy? 

Tom Allen: "Hey -- this is your team."

I thought it was interesting that in a Chicago Tribune story about Ramsey transferring to Northwestern, Peyton's father says Allen told him he would be the starter going into next season. That wasn't consistent what what Allen's seemingly been saying all along -- that when Penix is healthy, he's the man. 

17 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Sure, he's bigger -- and probably better. But will it matter if he can't stay healthy? 

Tom Allen: "Hey -- this is your team."

I thought it was interesting that in a Chicago Tribune story about Ramsey transferring to Northwestern, Peyton's father says Allen told him he would be the starter going into next season. That wasn't consistent what what Allen's has seemingly been saying all along -- that when Penix is healthy, he's the man. 

Yeah I have a hard time believing Allen straight up told Peyton he was the starter next year. Why would he transfer if that is the case? Maybe he said the job was up for grabs, but it has been clear that Allen is hoping for Penix to be the guy. Just my opinion 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/center-grove-s-jovan-swann-transferring-to-iu-football-from-stanford/ar-BB11KZPk?ocid=hplocalnews

Center Grove's Jovan Swann transferring to IU football from Stanford

Zach Osterman, Indianapolis Star

BLOOMINGTON – IU football’s latest graduate transfer can prepare for a homecoming.

Jovan Swann, a defensive lineman the Hoosiers prioritized out of Center Grove High School before losing him to Stanford in 2016, announced Thursday his decision to graduate from the Pac-12 school and enroll at Indiana. He will have one year of eligibility remaining. 

“Thank you Stanford University for a great four years, on and off the field,” Swann wrote in a message posted to his Twitter account Thursday. “I have completed the process of finding a home for my final year of eligibility, after many prayers and great discussions. 

Start the day smarter. Get all the news you need in your inbox each morning.

“To all my support system, near and far, and the rest of Indiana, I am staying home this time and committing to Indiana University!”

Swann joins a defensive line unit that’s as deep and experienced as any the Hoosiers have fielded in years. Listed as a 271-pound defensive end, Swann appeared in 39 games (19 starts) over the last three seasons for the Cardinal, tallying 18 ½ tackles for loss, 11 ½ sacks, two forced fumbles and an interception. He was an All Pac-12 honorable mention selection in 2018, and has twice been named to all-conference academic teams.

59 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Finally some good news this offseason for the football team. Seems like most of the movement on the squad and staff has been outgoing. Hopefully the offense can get things sorted for next year, because it seems like our defense may finally be ready to compete at a high level. 

2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

I wonder: Is this just an odd angle for a photo -- or does Penix have huge hands??? ... This football looks like a toy in his big left mitt. 

I'd say there is a good chance he has big hands. Most QBs do. 

Looks like DE Madison Norris has put his name on the transfer portal.
[/url]  

Couldn’t gain weight and wasn’t going to play from the way it looks. Came in as a freshman at 200 lbs. and is currently 217 lbs. that wasn’t going to get it done in the B1G. Might not be the kids fault but at the end of the day everyone wants a chance at playing time.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 hours ago, ap2345 said:

Couldn’t gain weight and wasn’t going to play from the way it looks. Came in as a freshman at 200 lbs. and is currently 217 lbs. that wasn’t going to get it done in the B1G. Might not be the kids fault but at the end of the day everyone wants a chance at playing time.

My exact thoughts. I wish him the best of luck. He'll do himself well at a MAC level school IMO. 

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=27434833

Jovan Swann transferring from Stanford had been known from his Twitter announcement. I hadn’t really gotten too far into his potential impact yet. But came across this. Granted, it was from before last season, but being talked about as the top ranked defensive player in the country in any form tells me he’s got a serious upside for the Hoosiers in his one remaining year. 

Various comments re:  2020 football season tickets.

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2020/4/21/iu-athletics-announces-fan-friendly-changes-to-2020-football-season-ticket-renewals.aspx

Jon Blau -

IU has announced changes for 2020 football season ticket renewal, given uncertainty with COVID-19:

-Renewal deadline extended two weeks to May 15.

-If any portion of 2020 isn't played, ticket buyers are guaranteed a refund or credit

-You can renew now by putting 5% down.

Fred Glass - 

image.png.f0be66a2edf39fdab1d323c60d8905c2.png

I don't actively look for news and notes on IU football but I don't totally ignore that news either.  This today from Taylor Lehman is worth posting.  Average recruit rankings by year for the past decade.

For those curious, Indiana's 2021 class has 6 commits at a 3.2 average star rating. This is the 2010 decade:

2020: 2.95

2019: 3.05

2018: 2.88

2017: 2.48

2016: 2.67

2015: 2.82

2014: 2.69

2013: 2.80

2012: 2.60

2011: 2.65

2010: 2.44

Small numbers but a massive change

Former @IndianaFootball  player (1989-90) Ernie Thompson graduated from IU today. Congrats Ernie!

Ernie Thompson @ErnieThompson

This is a feeling that is at least equalled to, but in many instances, much better than being drafted by the LA Rams. If I can graduate at this stage in life, then anything, and I do mean anything is possible. Thank you, @IndianaUniv #Godisgreat

This is just horrible and heartbreaking. Former Columbus East player and current IU player Cam Wilson’s parents. His younger sister is graduating from East this year

https://www.wthr.com/article/columbus-police-identify-woman-shot-and-killed-apartment-complex

13 hours ago, mamasa said:

This is just horrible and heartbreaking. Former Columbus East player and current IU player Cam Wilson’s parents. His younger sister is graduating from East this year

https://www.wthr.com/article/columbus-police-identify-woman-shot-and-killed-apartment-complex

Pretty sure he lost either a sibling, adopted sibling, or someone close to him like that recently also. Terrible. 

If this is an inappropriate post, I'll apologize but under the circumstances it just feels right.  Young man loses both parents and the f***ing COVID-19 denies him the opportunity for a proper funeral service for his mother.

Cam Wilson @camwwilson25

If you would like to donate to my mother’s memorial fund, it would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/cassondra-wilson039s-memorial-fund