Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IU Football Off-Season

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yeah...all 'doom and gloom' projections aside, the loss of Ballou and Rhea are the primary off-season ones that matter.  The others? Not NEARLY as much.

I wholeheartedly agree.  The front 5 and front 7 on both sides of the ball at the end of the season are pretty much still around.  I think people are forgetting how incredibly young this roster is.  

I wholeheartedly agree.  The front 5 and front 7 on both sides of the ball at the end of the season are pretty much still around.  I think people are forgetting how incredibly young this roster is.  

And how average to bad those spots of the team were. They were nowhere near our strengths. The o-line might have been worse than the d-line.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

He’s a strength and conditioning coach not an offensive coordinator. This is an all risk zero reward move. If he clashes with Saban or any of the other coaches he’s gone. If a key player gets hurt on his watch, he’s gone. If everything goes perfectly he gets none of the credit. All for what? A few extra bucks? To uproot you’re family? He has two teenage daughters who I can’t imagine would be too stoked about switching schools and moving to Tuscaloosa. 

You don’t abandon your home for a lateral move and if he’s getting paid that much more than shame on Allen and the administration for not stepping up to the table. If being a part of a program that wins a national championship is that important to him, then so be it. I would think continuing to build his alma matre into a relevant program and being recognized specifically as a catalyst for it having improved success would be a better career move in his industry than going to Alabama and trying to mold your S&C program into what they do there. If Ballou thinks he’s getting free reign to implement his program there as he sees fit he’s either crazy or being sold a bill of goods. The grass isn’t always greener and there’s more examples of that in recent memory than the contrary. 

He went from IU football to ALABAMA football. The farthest thing from a lateral move there is.

5 hours ago, Aaron said:

Now I think some questions need to be asked. Up until now the losses were at positions we had plenty of depth and were not likely to play much baring injuries.

Running back outside of Scott we have no one left and James was going to be a huge contributor next season. Someone needs to question Tom Allen why all these players would want to leave after such a great season if they supposedly love him so much? Something stinks here.   

Allen is in the honeymoon phase after an 8 win season. Wont be questioned for a while.

Are the other teams in the conference experiencing the same kind of losses we are? If not, I can see some cause for concern. We were not super deep to begin with and depth is needed to compete with the big boys. Sampson James looked like the real deal to me and his loss is big.

5 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Kevin Peoples named D line coach

Tulane actually wasn’t bad this year, I trust CTA with his assistant hires too now after DeBoer.

he already had a chance to go to the nfl last year. bama probably doubled their iu salaries. bama probably brings in more money than nfl teams. or at least a higher profit. they don't have to pay their players. allegedly

Not surprising but I had not heard that. I don’t know them well but have met them through soccer. A mutual friend is still pretty close to them but soccer season for us delayed a few weeks due to some lingering injuries from fall HS season so I am probably behind on news

17 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

And how average to bad those spots of the team were. They were nowhere near our strengths. The o-line might have been worse than the d-line.

I'm not sure I agree.  Keep in mind a couple of things here. 

1. The defensive stats in general were better than 2018 and the offensive stats produced more points, more rushing TDs, more passing yards and relied less on the run game than the previous year.  Now that might be due to a number of factors, SOS, new OC and DC etc. etc..  But the bottom line is that compared to the two years the younger front 5 and front 7 produced more wins and a bowl appearance.  This team is young. 
  2. I'm a firm believer that the strengths of any team in any conference at any level of football is and will always be at the front 5 and front 7 level.  That's football. Without either you just got a really bad football team.  Games are won and lost in the trenches.

I'm not sure I agree.  Keep in mind a couple of things here. 
  1. The defensive stats in general were better than 2018 and the offensive stats produced more points, more rushing TDs, more passing yards and relied less on the run game than the previous year.  Now that might be due to a number of factors, SOS, new OC and DC etc. etc..  But the bottom line is that compared to the two years the younger front 5 and front 7 produced more wins and a bowl appearance.  This team is young. 
  2. I'm a firm believer that the strengths of any team in any conference at any level of football is and will always be at the front 5 and front 7 level.  That's football. Without either you just got a really bad football team.  Games are won and lost in the trenches.

But how often was Ramsey pressured? How often did both lines get absolutely man handled? Too often. Both were weak last season. We got lucky with a weak schedule. But any good team we played, abused our lines when they wanted. Neither line ever gets any push.

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

But how often was Ramsey pressured? How often did both lines get absolutely man handled? Too often. Both were weak last season. We got lucky with a weak schedule. But any good team we played, abused our lines when they wanted. Neither line ever gets any push.

You're not wrong with some of your assessments.  SOS wasn't a strong one that's for sure, however I would argue that the 2019 Hoosiers would have gone bowling with the exact same schedule they had in 2018.  Also, in 2019 they won the games they were supposed to win with 3 of those in conference wins on the road.  I don't agree the lines got man handled often nor abused in some of those losses.  I think only two of their losses (OSU, Michigan) were brutal.  All of their other loses they were in the game until the end.  And most importantly, Ramsey wasn't the starter as injuries plague the entire team throughout the entire season.  Bottom line, the Hoosiers improved from the year prior.  And doing it with a young roster.

You're not wrong with some of your assessments.  SOS wasn't a strong one that's for sure, however I would argue that the 2019 Hoosiers would have gone bowling with the exact same schedule they had in 2018.  Also, in 2019 they won the games they were supposed to win with 3 of those in conference wins on the road.  I don't agree the lines got man handled often nor abused in some of those losses.  I think only two of their losses (OSU, Michigan) were brutal.  All of their other loses they were in the game until the end.  And most importantly, Ramsey wasn't the starter as injuries plague the entire team throughout the entire season.  Bottom line, the Hoosiers improved from the year prior.  And doing it with a young roster.

The Michigan State defensive line made our o-line look tiny.

8 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

The Michigan State defensive line made our o-line look tiny.

IU was leading the game six and a half into the 4th and tied with a minute and a half til the game was over.  They put up 31 points on the road.  It's foolish to think their front 5 didn't produce.  

IU was leading the game six and a half into the 4th and tied with a minute and a half til the game was over.  They put up 31 points on the road.  It's foolish to think their front 5 didn't produce.  

We got lucky last year a lot that we had some playmakers. Including Ramsey. But he was on the run more than he should have been.