Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JerryYeagley23

Big Ten Teams in the Polls???

Honestly, I am not concerned about the polls.  They don't mean diddly squat.  Should we be ranked?  I really dunno.  All I know is we got destroyed on the road, twice.  Now if we beat the two teams that destroyed us in re-matches then those blowouts are a wash.  

And can anybody come up with a Top 25 that none of us could pick apart?

We split our upcoming two road games (especially tough to do in the BT this year) and beat MSU at home and we will be 18th-22nd.  
If deserved, I would like to be ranked. It’s true it is not a measurement for getting into the tourney but I think being ranked provides a little positive buzz/perception that can’t hurt. TV, online media outlets etc tend to mention and recap top 25 teams/games.  I have friends that are casual college b-ball fans and when they ask me about IU they invariably ask if we are ranked.  

1 hour ago, NOLA Hoosier said:

John Calipari said this week that every team that plays pUKe is having its "Super Bowl." Grade A ******.

I’m not a fan of scumapari but don’t think he is far off in his assessment.
Beating UK is probably the considered the most high profile, we would love  to win this game, contest for every SEC team, Louisville and nearly all of their OOC opponents (there are some exceptions, such as UNC would value winning at Duke more than beating UK).

Duke also has that “target” on their back.

I guess I stand corrected in believing OSU would drop out of the AP Poll after losing 4 in a row (apologies to uspsHoosier, as you were right on about that) I think both they, and Michigan, are benefiting from some early season wins against UNC that shouldn’t hold as much weight by now since the Heels are a tire fire. I guess you can justify UM in the Top 20 based on their win over Gonzaga, but they lost 5 of the 7 games after that win against teams not named Presbyterian or UMass Lowell. OSU and IU should be switched in my opinion. They got a win against Nova before their Sophomore stud started to breakout, and the aforementioned UNC win means nothing now. Losing 4 in a row, no matter the conference or competition should be enough to determine you’re not a Top 20 team in the country. There must be a shortage of one-loss or two-loss mid-majors this year that always seem to find their way into the back half of the Poll come conference play time. 

Edited by JerryYeagley23

I guess I stand corrected in believing OSU would drop out of the AP Poll after losing 4 in a row (apologies to uspsHoosier, as you were right on about that) I think both they, and Michigan, are benefiting from some early season wins against UNC that shouldn’t hold as much weight by now since the Heels are a tire fire. I guess you can justify UM in the Top 20 based on their win over Gonzaga, but they lost 5 of the 7 games after that win against teams not named Presbyterian or UMass Lowell. OSU and IU should be switched in my opinion. They got a win against Nova before their Sophomore stud started to breakout, and the aforementioned UNC win means nothing now. Losing 4 in a row, no matter the conference or competition should be enough to determine you’re not a Top 20 team in the country. There must be a shortage of one-loss or two-loss mid-majors this year that always seem to find their way into the back half of the Poll come conference play time. 

No apologies needed for giving your opinion

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

7 hours ago, Lebowski said:

If IU plays like they did against FSU they're a top 15 team.  If they play like they did against Northwestern they're not worthy of anything.  Jekyll and Hyde 

Michigan State lost to Purdue by 29.  Purdue lost to Illinois by 26.  Michigan is averaging losing by double digits in their five losses.

Maryland lost by 18 to Iowa.  Wisconsin lost to Richmond....at home.  Ohio State already has three double digits losses in Big Ten play.

Everyone is Jekyll and Hyde when you point out their high and low.  The bottom line should be to look at who you played and what your overall record was against them.  Everything else is just smoke and mirrors that pundits like to talk about to make themselves feel better about liking or disliking certain teams.  At the end of the day, it should be about how many wins you have compared to your schedule.

IU not ranked.

As a point of interest, here is the total points combined between the two polls (AP and coaches) with the coaches double weighted since the coach's poll use 32 votes and AP uses 65.

Michigan State 1517

Maryland 1218

Michigan 620

Ohio State 544

Iowa 208

Illinois 175

Indiana 126

Penn State 82

Wisconsin 53

Rutgers 46

Purdue 40

Order of rank by AP Poll:

1. Michigan State   2.  Maryland  3.  Michigan   4.  Ohio State  5. Illinois  6.  Iowa  7.  Indiana  8.  Penn State  9.  Wisconsin  10.  Purdue  11.  Rutgers

Coaches:

1.  Michigan State  2.  Maryland   3  Ohio State  4.  Michigan  5.  Iowa   6.  Indiana  7.  Illinois  8.  Penn State  9.  Rutgers  10.  Wisconsin  11.  Purdue