Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aeggie

Do we have any good guards?

You can say he isn't talented enough to play at Indiana University, but at least Al Durham can make free throws (83.7%) which is more than you say about any of the other players (Rob Phinisee is hitting 79.2% but he has only shot half as many). Al's 3-point average is 2nd highest on the team (37.2%)--though admittedly his 3-point shooting dropped once the competition picked up. And, there is something to be said for players who play hard. Joey Brunk also plays hard and with heart. I'm not sure about the rest of the team.

On top of being not great shooters, this group of guards has a really hard time defending quicker guards who drive hard and seem really inept at rotating to defend open shooters beyond the 3 point line. There have been so many wide open looks because of not communicating on defense. 

5 hours ago, Honkyman said:

You can say he isn't talented enough to play at Indiana University, but at least Al Durham can make free throws (83.7%) which is more than you say about any of the other players (Rob Phinisee is hitting 79.2% but he has only shot half as many). Al's 3-point average is 2nd highest on the team (37.2%)--though admittedly his 3-point shooting dropped once the competition picked up. And, there is something to be said for players who play hard. Joey Brunk also plays hard and with heart. I'm not sure about the rest of the team.

Al's best shooting was early in the season when Franklin was starting and handling the ball up top.  Al is much better on catch and shoot than shooting off the dribble, which he does when he is playing point.

I was hesitant on Brunk impacting the program before the season. I’m sold that he is good for the program and we could use more players with his attitude. I’ve seen Archie chew into him a few times and loved the way he responded. I really hope that is rubbing off on TJD and a few of the other younger players. It would go a long way in changing the culture. Also, I’ll be shocked if he’s not named a team captain next season.

He might not be blessed with the physical abilities as others are but he’s blessed with heart and determination.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I was hesitant on Brunk impacting the program before the season. I’m sold that he is good for the program and we could use more players with his attitude. I’ve seen Archie chew into him a few times and loved the way he responded. I really hope that is rubbing off on TJD and a few of the other younger players. It would go a long way in changing the culture. Also, I’ll be shocked if he’s not named a team captain next season.

He might not be blessed with the physical abilities as others are but he’s blessed with heart and determination.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Several games ago he got pulled and sat the bench for 3/4 of the game.  Been a beast ever since.  Don't know why CAM doesn't do that to the others.  

On 1/7/2020 at 9:20 PM, Golfman25 said:

Several games ago he got pulled and sat the bench for 3/4 of the game.  Been a beast ever since.  Don't know why CAM doesn't do that to the others.  

Devonte got benched for most of the 2nd half last night.

We basically had the same problem and were able to win because we were only facing Northwestern - we haven't had more than one guard play well during the same game for a LONG while and Northwestern is probably the only B1G team we can beat with only one guard playing well.

Hopefully the benching will spur Devonte on because he looked lethargic last night. Al has been inconsistent but maybe last night will get him going. And Phinisee can't be THIS bad out of nowhere, can he? We saw this guy score in the B1G all last year when available.

One piece of good news is that Archie mentioned that the 11-man rotation "maybe" wasn't going to work so it looks like the rotation is going to be shaved a bit which I DO think will help some. Will it be enough I'm much less certain but I think it's a step in the right direction depending on who gets cut. My advice? Hunter, Damezi, and Armaan need a minutes reduction and Race is probably slightly better than De'Ron even though Thompson falls asleep defensively at times. We'll see. Shortening the rotation and playing our better players a bit more will help but we really need our guards to turn it around and start contributing every night somehow. If we can get about ~20-30 efficient points and 6 assists out of Phinisee/Al/Devonte this team could maybe be decent. If not last year is going to look like a cakewalk because their poor play is what allows defenses to sag so deep into the paint to prevent post touches.