Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

You literally couldn't be more wrong about Phin. Absurd. 

He’s not proven a bit to be anymore than a role player. He’s not a scorer. He’s not a playmaker. He is a better ball handler than anyone on the team, but that isn’t saying much. He’s a backup. He’s basically Josh Newkirk.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

10 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

If Lander comes next season, he will walk in and be our best guard. Leal will be right behind him.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I hope you're right about Leal.

I enjoy watching both sides of this argument and fact is nobody knows how good or bad iu will be next season for certain as we don't even know what the roster will look like. There is reason for optimism and reason to be concerned imo. I will say that losing to purdue every year is embarrassing. Shooting 20 odd percent is embarrassing. This season as a whole so far is still well under iu basketball standards imo with very limited chance to improve on that from this point barring a big tournament run. It is obvious painter gets his guys up for iu and archie doesn't seem to be able to match it. Hopefully we can play solid at Illinois

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I hope you're right about Leal.

Problem is don’t know if it’s a compliment or not. Our guards are just bad. Leal was going to be our best 2 guard likely coming into next season anyways unless Franklin makes some massive jump. But Archie won’t start two freshman. He will start Rob and Al again.

We have 5 current top 25 wins now, so let's not pretend like we suck right now. We bring essentially everything back... Thompson, Hunter, and Phin all healthy. TJD year 2, Franklin year 2. 
There wont be 25 teams better than us. There's a distinct possibility of adding another wing grad transfer. 

Last year we had 4 top 25 wins and a ton of injuries. This year we have had far less injuries and we pick up just 1 more top 25 win.

I think next year we should be better than this year but the evidence is not there that we will make a big jump. Rather the evidence is that we will be better than this year and if we are a top 45 ish team now then next year we should expect us to be a top 35 if we stay healthy.

Consistency is the thing that continues to plague our teams under Archie. Just about every game we have a long scoreless drought. We rarely have a stretch of conference games where we string together multiple very good games. The BT is tough and I get that but we have had too many blowouts this year.

1 hour ago, bigrod said:

I agree. I like Durham, and he has improved probably more than any other player during this period at IU, but he is coming off the bench on most B1G teams.

THe jury is still out on Phinisee though. He's a sophomore. Not sure we can conclude he has reached his peak.

I think most people will see Phinisee have surgery after the season, and realize that's why he has played the way he has this season. He's going to be so much better in the next two seasons. 

16-15
19-16 NIT
18-10 NCAA

A tad premature. Should they win at least 1 more? Absolutely. Is it guaranteed? Not really. This team wouldn't surprise me if they lose out or win out the next 3 games. I seriously have no clue which team is going to show up game to game or media timeout to media timeout. Just sayin' don't jinx it

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

A tad premature. Should they win at least 1 more? Absolutely. Is it guaranteed? Not really. This team wouldn't surprise me if they lose out or win out the next 3 games. I seriously have no clue which team is going to show up game to game or media timeout to media timeout. Just sayin' don't jinx it

This was in reference to the NCAA next to this year's team for clarity

I think most people will see Phinisee have surgery after the season, and realize that's why he has played the way he has this season. He's going to be so much better in the next two seasons. 

Or he’s just what we’ve seen. A backup point guard. Don’t know why that’s wild to think.

40 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Last year we had 4 top 25 wins and a ton of injuries. This year we have had far less injuries and we pick up just 1 more top 25 win.

I think next year we should be better than this year but the evidence is not there that we will make a big jump. Rather the evidence is that we will be better than this year and if we are a top 45 ish team now then next year we should expect us to be a top 35 if we stay healthy.

Consistency is the thing that continues to plague our teams under Archie. Just about every game we have a long scoreless drought. We rarely have a stretch of conference games where we string together multiple very good games. The BT is tough and I get that but we have had too many blowouts this year.

Hopefully a shooter. This has to be the worst stable of guards shooting wise, than any power 5 school in the country. Wide open looks all season long, horrible misses. Hell, we couldn't even find the iron last night. I can understand a defender in your face, but wide open looks? Can't survive depending on the post night after night is you can't get them away from constant double teams with an occasional knock down from outside.

By "we", you mean you, and a few other posters.

If you believe Josh Newkirk is a backup, then Phinisee is a backup too. He’s a good backup. He’s just not a good starter unless you have a star SG. But we just have another guy who is also a backup in the starting lineup. He’s not playmaker, a scorer, a leader. He’s just kinda out there. He’s shown some ability to do things, but it’s not often. He just doesn’t have that mentality.

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

If you believe Josh Newkirk is a backup, then Phinisee is a backup too. He’s a good backup. He’s just not a good starter unless you have a star SG. But we just have another guy who is also a backup in the starting lineup. He’s not playmaker, a scorer, a leader. He’s just kinda out there. He’s shown some ability to do things, but it’s not often. He just doesn’t have that mentality.

Completely disagree with the premise that Rob Phinisee and Josh Newkirk are in any way similar players. 

Completely disagree with the premise that Rob Phinisee and Josh Newkirk are in any way similar players. 

Newkirk wasn’t a good playmaker, he wasn’t a scorer, he couldn’t break anyone down off the dribble, made bad decisions, showed some flashes(even when at Pitt) but he was just a backup. So what’s the difference from he and Phinisee? Both were even ranked in about the same area coming out of HS. Newkirk was #120 in the 2013 class and Rob was #135 in the 2018 class.

5 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Newkirk wasn’t a good playmaker, he wasn’t a scorer, he couldn’t break anyone down off the dribble, made bad decisions, showed some flashes(even when at Pitt) but he was just a backup. So what’s the difference from he and Phinisee? Both were even ranked in about the same area coming out of HS. Newkirk was #120 in the 2013 class and Rob was #135 in the 2018 class.

AS I JUST SAID ... I do not agree with your assessment of Phinisee. You are absolutely entitled to that opinion of his performance and potential, but I think that both his performance and his potential are much, much better than your descriptive opinion.

AS I JUST SAID ... I do not agree with your assessment of Phinisee. You are absolutely entitled to that opinion of his performance and potential, but I think that both his performance and his potential are much, much better than your descriptive opinion.

Based on what? Rankings? Eye test? IU fandom? Hope?

Maybe the concussions cut his potential. Maybe his abdominal/groin or whatever is effecting him.

But my eye test, which is spectacular by the way, says he’s an average player. Statistics support this as well.

So, then I hope it’s injury related.

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Based on what? Rankings? Eye test? IU fandom? Hope?

Maybe the concussions cut his potential. Maybe his abdominal/groin or whatever is effecting him.

But my eye test, which is spectacular by the way, says he’s an average player. Statistics support this as well.

So, then I hope it’s injury related.

Based on performance when reasonably healthy (all players are banged up a little at times).

Remember, the standard cited was Josh freakin Newkirk, who was beaten out for playing time and starts during his senior year by a freshman Devonte Green.

Did you want to compare Rob's performance so far to Yogi at this point? Completely different question.