Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

8 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

My only agenda is winning--just as it has been since I became a die hard Hoosier fan 50 years. What's your agenda?

calling out those "die hard' fans who apparently can't read. Or just choose not to because Archie is still the coach and anyone who questions their hatred of him doesn't have a "great eye and head for basketball"

I probably spend too much time reading posts by people like you who clearly can not tolerate anyone who disagrees. I like Archie fine. But I don't drink the Kool Aid like some posters here do. I have consistently written here that we will know more about whether he is a good enough coach to take IU back to national prominence after next season when the team consists of players who have played college for him only. The results so far are mixed at best. In my opinion he has shown less progress than other coaches who emerged as really good coaches--not just by win/loss record but by ability to motivate teams to play better than their talent level--which is the mark of a truly good coach imo. That hasn't happened yet at IU under Archie. But I have always said we have to give him at least four seasons. If that translates to you as hating, you need to go back to school.

I've been clear on my feelings with Archie however as long as he "safely" makes the tournament I'd say I'm fine with giving him another year and seeing if he can continue to progress. Undoubtedly this has been a better year than last but the road blowouts have been incredibly disheartening. Guess I'm just posting to say my stance is softening slightly.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I've been clear on my feelings with Archie however as long as he "safely" makes the tournament I'd say I'm fine with giving him another year and seeing if he can continue to progress. Undoubtedly this has been a better year than last but the road blowouts have been incredibly disheartening. Guess I'm just posting to say my stance is softening slightly.

I agree. It was great to see the competitive spirit today. Seeing improvements in Race and Hunter has been encouraging as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Agree but I’m worried for next week. Lots of pressure in final 2 home games.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, rcs29 said:

I was cautiously optimistic when they hired Archie. There have been moments when I've been disheartened since then but if some of the comments I've read on here are factual concerning having his hands tied by the administration then it puts things in a different light. I believe he'll get at least another year and I feel he deserves it. 

I dont post much on here very often, but I have been very negative about Justin Smith when I have posted anything. Today he made a lot of big plays that didnt involve scoring or his athletic ability. They may have very well lost that game without him, so he deserves a lot of credit. If this team wants to be better next year, it is going to depend on him and Miller putting Brunk as a backup to Jackson-Davis and Thompson in the starting lineup.  If he can do it every game is still the big question. No one wants to see it once every 10 games next year like we saw that with Green this year.

I was cautiously optimistic when they hired Archie. There have been moments when I've been disheartened since then but if some of the comments I've read on here are factual concerning having his hands tied by the administration then it puts things in a different light. I believe he'll get at least another year and I feel he deserves it. 

What do you mean regarding the administration tying his hands?

10 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

What do you mean regarding the administration tying his hands?

It's been stated by several people that transfers out were strongly discouraged. While I believe commitments should be honored and players should not be pushed out solely based on their inability to perform at a certain level, if the problem is one of attitude then after while that player should be encouraged to find another program whose culture more closely aligns with their approach. 

Lol not bashing Archie or the administration here, just asking a serious question. Does landing big recruits like this save Archie for 2 more years? I worry because I felt like Crean was on his last leg but then Thomas Bryant signed and all of a sudden Tom Crean was way off the hot seat from the administration perspective. Although I realize we then won the Big10 and made a S16 with TB, the writing was on the wall for TC. ... I also realize IU could win 4 games the BTT then make an elite 8 run or something this year and its a moot point.

My thought is that you don't base whether or not a coach gets an extension based on a single recruit. Ideally if "Its Indiana" the player would still come even if a coaching change as long as the coaching change was great. 

Just now, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Lol not bashing Archie or the administration here, just asking a serious question. Does landing big recruits like this save Archie for 2 more years? I worry because I felt like Crean was on his last leg but then Thomas Bryant signed and all of a sudden Tom Crean was way off the hot seat from the administration perspective. Although I realize we then won the Big10 and made a S16 with TB, the writing was on the wall for TC. ... I also realize IU could win 4 games the BTT then make an elite 8 run or something this year and its a moot point.

My thought is that you don't base whether or not a coach gets an extension based on a single recruit. Ideally if "Its Indiana" the player would still come even if a coaching change as long as the coaching change was great. 

Even before Lander I was ok with giving Archie another year. His recruits were finally developing and he was finally changing things that weren’t working. Still has some room to grow on that front but it’s there 

7 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I get what you're saying but i think Crean's situation and Archie's are different. I disagreed with it in Crean's situation because he had already been here for 7-8 years and we saw what he was giving us. 

Archie is in year 3 and still hasn't had a full cycle with his players. He seems to be recruiting well in this state and 2021 is a huge year that could really elevate the program if it is stable. But yes, in the end I don't think this program should be making decisions based off 1 or 2 players. 

On 2/20/2020 at 7:54 AM, Jam said:

Pat Shoulders is an elected trustee.

Thanks for the info.  Much appreciated.  And my thoughts were also that people should keep the topic of IU sports a priority for new trustees, both appointed and elected, this one, and those who come after him as well.  Somehow that priority seems to have slipped through the cracks along the way, and it likely would take several trustee appointments/elections to at least balance the scales, and then a couple more to be in a majority opinion on the subject.  And I do not mean to say athletics should be the main consideration for picking trustees, but that box should check, among several other crucial boxes.  And it takes perpetual conversations from all parts of the state to maintain the priority.  Right now we are not even in a point to maintain, we still need to get the priority.  So when you see your local republican/democratic county chairmen, bring that topic up in conversation.  It is probably even easier to go through your precinct committeeman who probably knocks on your door at least once a year.  When he comes knocking at your door, raise that topic, and once that sinks in with him, he would most likely bring the topic up at the party's monthly/weekly meetings, depending on the time of the year.  It really does take this type of effort to affect change, and it always takes longer than one thinks it should, much longer, for change to actually take place, but persistence often pays off, especially with a no-brainer (double entendre') like this topic.  

Thanks for the info.  Much appreciated.  And my thoughts were also that people should keep the topic of IU sports a priority for new trustees, both appointed and elected, this one, and those who come after him as well.  Somehow that priority seems to have slipped through the cracks along the way, and it likely would take several trustee appointments/elections to at least balance the scales, and then a couple more to be in a majority opinion on the subject.  And I do not mean to say athletics should be the main consideration for picking trustees, but that box should check, among several other crucial boxes.  And it takes perpetual conversations from all parts of the state to maintain the priority.  Right now we are not even in a point to maintain, we still need to get the priority.  So when you see your local republican/democratic county chairmen, bring that topic up in conversation.  It is probably even easier to go through your precinct committeeman who probably knocks on your door at least once a year.  When he comes knocking at your door, raise that topic, and once that sinks in with him, he would most likely bring the topic up at the party's monthly/weekly meetings, depending on the time of the year.  It really does take this type of effort to affect change, and it always takes longer than one thinks it should, much longer, for change to actually take place, but persistence often pays off, especially with a no-brainer (double entendre') like this topic.  

Preach brother