Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

I believe Cuban announced a few years ago he's not donating any more money to IU. He was there strictly for Coach Knight. It was also nice of him to buy all the drinks in Kilroy's sports bar for everyone too. 

He was on Pardon My Take recently and they asked him about paying to get a big name coach. He didn’t sound too interested about donating at all and said something along the lines of not knowing why they fired Crean.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

So from what I'm reading. The University is showcasing Fred Glass' achievements which are:

Increasing revenues every year as the AD

Substantial capital improvement projects

More donated to the Athletic department than ever before

Best women's BBall team, baseball team, etc. 

Student Athlete Bill of Rights being revolutionary

In reality:

increasing revenues every year as the AD Revenues have increase at probably the same clip/proportion as every other power 5 school under the same time frame; however, the Athletic Department is possibly completely broke and is now borrowing from all over campus... Potentially leaving no cash on hand in the event have to buy out a coach.

Substantial capital improvement projects Substantial Capital improvement projects were originally ushered in by Greenspan and Glass followed his lead and has kept in line or below the competition in the building arms race in college sports. With some arguing that we're already behind again. Again possibly no cash on hand to make improvements if we need them. 

More donated to the Athletic department than ever before Although I appreciate the donations, I'm not sure spending $40m on luxury suites in AH was the best choice considering the athletic department's cash balance. Becoming almost completely reliant on donations to support our sports teams. 

Best women's BBall team, baseball team, etc. Greenspan hired Tracy Smith and I'm sure would have built a new baseball stadium. Kudo's to Fred for getting other sports in respectable positions. 

Student Athlete Bill of Rights being revolutionary Fred was a first mover and literally not one other school followed him. This is not a good look. 

So from 2009-2020 Fred Glass has done WHAT that any other AD hasn't done? Seems like he's leaving a possibly broke athletic department with its premier athletic team decimated and on the verge of collapsing into oblivion. missing 7 out of 11 possible tournaments and the last 4. I'm sure he's leaving thinking he's a hero, but could completely be a villain. a la Robert Moses when he died. This is where Inside the Hall should come in and write the reality of the athletic situation. I get not getting a press pass... but good lord we need someone to tell the fans the truth.

*Maybe its possible they're borrowing money to get a cash stockpile to buyout Archie and to get their guy, but I find that hard to believe given the AD's recent track record*

So why is that the athletic department has no money and has to borrow? I understand that McRobbie has taken money and keeps us on tight purse strings. But even if that were to change would money still be an issue? Ultimately I don't understand why the president should dictate how the athletic department spends their money. They generate their own revenue.

36 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Running the day to day stuff in the AD. Taking a trip or two with the baseball and softball team to someplace warm. Hopefully showing the new AD around and introducing him to coaches, alumni, professors, people like that in April before heading out in May. Not really hard to believe. 

So you're saying the new AD is going to need to be introduced.....Hmmmm.....

7 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy_72 said:

So you're saying the new AD is going to need to be introduced.....Hmmmm.....

I didn't mean it that way. If it is Scott Dolson he will already know everyone. That came out wrong. To my understanding, there have been 0 interviews so far. 

11 minutes ago, HoosierMatty said:

So why is that the athletic department has no money and has to borrow? I understand that McRobbie has taken money and keeps us on tight purse strings. But even if that were to change would money still be an issue? Ultimately I don't understand why the president should dictate how the athletic department spends their money. They generate their own revenue.

Because it's not run very well. The way it was explained to me is if you donate a million dollars and say I want that money to go to the basketball program. Fred will take that money and use it wherever he needs it the most. Maybe the volleyball program needs a million to finish its facility. Uses it there and then scrambles to come up with another million to get back to the basketball program.  

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Because it's not run very well. The way it was explained to me is if you donate a million dollars and say I want that money to go to the basketball program. Fred will take that money and use it wherever he needs it the most. Maybe the volleyball program needs a million to finish its facility. Uses it there and then scrambles to come up with another million to get back to the basketball program.  

Sounds like every government program, especially social security!

Oh Fred.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

56 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Correct, but if I'm not mistaken you still owe him 3 million next year, plus the 9 that people want to pay the next coach to get them up to Cal or Coach K level you are still looking at 12 million a year for the next few years. Assuming Archie doesn't get another job. 

And he would get another job, so the $12million is nothing but a baseline number. It wouldn’t be nearly that. 

If the donors are as mad as some say, paying a top level coach shouldn’t be a problem at Indiana University. If the money is a problem, those donors should shut up and take what they pay for while they wait for someone with big boy money to pony up. 

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

And he would get another job, so the $12million is nothing but a baseline number. It wouldn’t be nearly that. 

If the donors are as mad as some say, paying a top level coach shouldn’t be a problem at Indiana University. If the money is a problem, those donors should shut up and take what they pay for while they wait for someone with big boy money to pony up. 

But he is more than welcome to not get another job and just collect money from IU for the next four years correct?

16 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Revenue directly coming in from that specific program should be spent on that program. That being said I don't mind them drawing money from a general fund to go to any program that needs it. But a donation and it's intention behind it should be honored. How much blowback have they received from alumini? It's inconceivable to me that the AD, trustees or President haven't been pushed out. If I had Mark Cuban money I would make it my personal crusade to run these incompetent people out. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

But he is more than welcome to not get another job and just collect money from IU for the next four years correct?

It was written in Crean’s contract that he had to seek gainful employment upon accepting the buyout. I’d be shocked if that wasn’t the case in Archie’s. Maybe it isn’t, but that would be bad business. 

Just now, Hovadipo said:

It was written in Crean’s contract that he had to seek gainful employment upon accepting the buyout. I’d be shocked if that wasn’t the case in Archie’s. Maybe it isn’t, but that would be bad business. 

OK that was what I was missing. That makes sense. 

1 minute ago, HoosierMatty said:

Revenue directly coming in from that specific program should be spent on that program. That being said I don't mind them drawing money from a general fund to go to any program that needs it. But a donation and it's intention behind it should be honored. How much blowback have they received from alumini? It's inconceivable to me that the AD, trustees or President haven't been pushed out. If I had Mark Cuban money I would make it my personal crusade to run these incompetent people out. 

I don't think a lot of people know this and I probably shouldn't be on a message board saying it. So we'll just leave it at that

That's sad that few know and those who do who may have power to change it do nothing about it. There needs to be a complete clean house. My issue ultimately is not whether Archie is the right coach or not. It's the sad reality that if he isn't and has to go we will still be terrible because of the incompetence at the top. And it will continue on and on unless it's changed . 

24 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

That scenario is incredibly problematic.  I'm a trustee within my church.  We get donations from many different people and organizations.   There are almost always conditions attached to the donations.  Sometimes the conditions are so absurd that we refuse the donation entirely.  However, if the money is earmarked for something, it must go there.

I can't imagine somebody so unethical that they lie to the donor and spend it elsewhere.  Not only is that corrupt, but based upon the conditions on the contract, it's unlawful.  If a donor gave a large sum of money with a stipulation and that stipulation wasn't met, I suspect we'd have heard about that by now.

2 minutes ago, HoosierMatty said:

That's sad that few know and those who do who may have power to change it do nothing about it. There needs to be a complete clean house. My issue ultimately is not whether Archie is the right coach or not. It's the sad reality that if he isn't and has to go we will still be terrible because of the incompetence at the top. And it will continue on and on unless it's changed . 

Let me pump some sunshine your way.  A good coach will win big here in spite of incompetence in the offices.

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

Let me pump some sunshine your way.  A good coach will win big here in spite of incompetence in the offices.

I agree. And to fair I'm not a dump Archie now guy. I believe one more year is fair. Most of my anger is toward those above. So changing to someone else doesn't make me excited because of those in charge. I also believe even if Archie can get it done the negativity doesn't help him either in terms of recruiting going forward. It makes it even harder for him now. 

I don’t believe for a second that money isn’t there from donors. I know there is plenty of money out there if they ask for it. There are plenty of big donors that would drop big money to get the program back where it should be. Maybe we’ll see some of that money when a new donor is hired.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

15 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

It definitely is. He has an obligation to mitigate damages.

Gainful employment is even defined in the contract. Meaning there are certain types of jobs he can take that will fulfill his mitigation obligations.