Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

Correct but you have to remember Fred is staying till July. New AD is coming in around there so there won't be a firing July or August. People can donate what they want but Fred is not making this hire & the new AD won't be here. 
When will they actually determine the new AD though. If it's early enough he could unofficially do the deed

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

You also have to remember that if he has a good year next year he won't necessarily be fired either. I know you don't think that is possible but I'm just saying it's not guaranteed he will be fired.
Also, we haven't been united since Knight left. Some like Davis, some didn't and the same with Sampson, & Crean. I don't see someone being hired that is going to unite everyone. 
Stevens would lol

10 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Well the offense is just plain garbage. I’ve literally never seen an offense so awful. How any intelligent basketball mind could ever think this offense would work is beyond me. That’s the biggest thing that needs to change. Brunk and TJD just can’t play together anymore. I know people have a love affair with Brunk, but he’s a guy who should be playing 15-20 minutes depending on TJD being in foul trouble. Archie just doesn’t get it and he’s going to die on the hill that believes this is a good offense.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Why would you bench Brunk when he's been one of our best players this season? He's also one of the few players who actually seems to care. Brunk, Smith, and TJD have been our three best rebounders this season. All 3 are averaging 8+ ppg on over 50% shooting. The frontcourt isn't the issue, the backcourt is. If we had anything resembling a competent backcourt we would be a much better team. 

He laughed at us last time we called
I was just speaking hypothetically. There are some that would but yeah like 1 or 2% of coaches would unite us immediately

I know people will  think I'm crazy (many do) and the point I'm about to make is pretty much moot, because I think his time is past, but I have a name that I really wish we would have considered years ago. I'm pretty sure he was available when we hired Crean. 

Scott Skiles. 

I recall reading that when he was with the Bulls, a couple NBA coaches said his teams were tough to prepare for because he had some of the best offensive sets in the league. His main problem was that he tends to grate on players and after 4-5 years, the message is lost and any effectiveness goes out the window.

But in college, you have a turnover of the roster every 3-4 years anyway, so that wouldn't necessarily be a concern. And at the time, he lived in Bloomington. He still might. 

My only question would be recruiting. But I would think an Indiana schoolboy legend and former NBA coach should be able to do fine in that regard. And if not, get some assistants to help. 

However, that was then and this is now. He's 55 and I'm just not sure he wants to coach anymore -- he quit on the Magic after one season four or five years ago and hasn't coached since. 

He's a little rough around the edges, but that's not always bad. I think he at least would've been worth a look. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Why would you bench Brunk when he's been one of our best players this season? He's also one of the few players who actually seems to care. Brunk, Smith, and TJD have been our three best rebounders this season. All 3 are averaging 8+ ppg on over 50% shooting. The frontcourt isn't the issue, the backcourt is. If we had anything resembling a competent backcourt we would be a much better team. 

I would bench one of three just because it clogs up the middle. Their all the same type of player. All big ten teams are clogging the middle and making try to beat them a different way which has not been successful. I also think teams have figured out how to play Brunk now. 

3 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

I was just speaking hypothetically. There are some that would but yeah like 1 or 2% of coaches would unite us immediately

I know what you mean and you are correct

Just now, Chris007 said:

That is the part that Archie has lost me on. He keeps doing the same things. Talks a big game but no changes

This is pretty random, but do you happen to know if social media is ever discussed? I still see players reposting things on their instagram stories after we lose. Individual shout outs and maybe one good play they made. It drives me absolutely nuts, and quite frankly makes it seem even more like they don't care. Do you know if this gets discussed at all? Social media activity rules or anything like that? I know its part of the world we live in now but a little discretion would go a long way. 

7 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I know people will  think I'm crazy (many do) and the point I'm about to make is pretty much moot, because I think his time is past, but I have a name that I really wish we would have considered years ago. I'm pretty sure he was available when we hired Crean. 

Scott Skiles. 

I recall reading that when he was with the Bulls, a couple NBA coaches said his teams were tough to prepare for because he had some of the best offensive sets in the league. His main problem was that he tends to grate on players and after 4-5 years, the message is lost and any effectiveness goes out the window.

But in college, you have a turnover of the roster every 3-4 years anyway, so that wouldn't necessarily be a concern. And at the time, he lived in Bloomington. He still might. 

My only question would be recruiting. But I would think an Indiana schoolboy legend and former NBA coach should be able to do fine in that regard. And if not, get some assistants to help. 

However, that was then and this is now. He's 55 and I'm just not sure he wants to coach anymore -- he quit on the Magic after one season four or five years ago and hasn't coached since. 

He's a little rough around the edges, but that's not always bad. I think he at least would've been worth a look. 

I believe he had a house in Brown county that he was trying to sell when Archie was hired. It was through a divorce or something like that

3 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

This is pretty random, but do you happen to know if social media is ever discussed? I still see players reposting things on their instagram stories after we lose. Individual shout outs and maybe one good play they made. It drives me absolutely nuts, and quite frankly makes it seem even more like they don't care. Do you know if this gets discussed at all? Social media activity rules or anything like that? I know its part of the world we live in now but a little discretion would go a long way. 

I do not know. I've never heard it talked about. 

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

It was a big number like 9 last time. The same thing with Donovan which he liked the number but then asked for a crazy amount for assistant coaches pool and Fred said no. 

Would striking out like we seemingly have make whatever Donovan requested for his assistants more realistic? I still want Archie to succeed, I just don't see how it's possible. He might not be that IU guy like others want, but I'd think Donovan would be a guy who could unite the fanbase immediately. Somethings gotta change, be it Archie or whoever.

18 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I would bench one of three just because it clogs up the middle. Their all the same type of player. All big ten teams are clogging the middle and making try to beat them a different way which has not been successful. I also think teams have figured out how to play Brunk now. 

That's true. I'd be in favor of benching one of Brunk/Smith if it means getting Hunter into the lineup. He by far has the most potential of anyone on the team outside of TJD. Might as well get him reps now to prepare for next year.