Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

15 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I was in the sunshine pumper's position last year. I thought that everything was fine. I thought Archie was the right guy. Them this year happened. We have the same problems we had last year. We're one of the worst shooting teams in the country. Our players don't play with effort the majority of the time. Our players are incredibly soft. Not a single player steps up and shows any pride when we're getting embarrassed. You have De'ron Davis running down the court giggling when we're getting blown out on the road. And it all starts at the top. The players have no accountability. Archie lets them play and play and play no matter what they do on the court. 

Next year doesn't project to be any better. We have no instant impact recruits coming in. Our current guards are very average, at best. The lone bright spot has been TJD, and who knows if he'll even be here next year. I keep waiting for things to change, but they haven't yet. 

I was thinking something similar this morning. I was trying to remember the last game I saw us impose our will on someone. I'd love to see this team come out and just bully the other team, but I really can't remember the last time I saw that. That's why most teams are so tough at home. They have the attitude of, "Not in our house." You just don't see that at all with this team, or really, any team since Archie has been here.

I was thinking something similar this morning. I was trying to remember the last game I saw us impose our will on someone. I'd love to see this team come out and just bully the other team, but I really can't remember the last time I saw that. That's why most teams are so tough at home. They have the attitude of, "Not in our house." You just don't see that at all with this team, or really, any team since Archie has been here.

We don’t have the shooting or offense to blow anyone out in the B1G. We can get some of the little schools with athleticism and transition. In the half court game we struggle to score. Hard to pile up points when you don’t shoot the 3 often or well.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We don’t have the shooting or offense to blow anyone out in the B1G. We can get some of the little schools with athleticism and transition. In the half court game we struggle to score. Hard to pile up points when you don’t shoot the 3 often or well.

Yeah, I don't disagree. But I've seen teams with less talent impose their will. 

We had at least 3 Crean teams that could come out and hit you in the mouth or at some point make a run. That 11-12 team had the ability and would make good runs like against MSU we got up 15 in the 2nd half. That 12-13 team... came out firing against Michigan and Minnesota. Absolutely destroyed Purdue twice. 15-16 could make big runs. This team? Lol.

22 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I was in the sunshine pumper's position last year. I thought that everything was fine. I thought Archie was the right guy. Them this year happened. This year isn't over yet.  Indiana is 20 positions higher in Sagarin than they were at this point a year ago.   Indiana has more quality wins than they did a year ago.   We have the same problems we had last year.  To some degree, yes.  We're also still reliant on a player or two who haven't improved at all or are mediocre at everything.   One in particular will help tremendously with his departure.  He showed some growth a year ago, but has regressed miserably.  I don't think he's wired to play in a team structure.  Until he's gone, I really don't think anyone can say what next year will look like. We're one of the worst shooting teams in the country. Our players don't play with effort the majority of the time.  Not true.  They have bouts with this problem, but to say it's the majority of the time is disingenuous. Our players are incredibly soft. Really?  Jerome Hunter comes back from a major leg operation that almost took the game away from him.  Davis comes back from a torn achilles.  Phinisee comes back from several injuries.  Thompson plays with a bad back and comes back from other injuries. Indiana beat Florida State and Michigan State and Ohio State.  All 3 among the most physical teams in the country,   You sure you're not just some fan with an axe to grind talking trash on a subject you know nothing about?  Not a single player steps up and shows any pride when we're getting embarrassed. Define what you mean here. I don't necessarily disagree, but you're just b!tching.  Elaborate, please.  You have De'ron Davis running down the court giggling when we're getting blown out on the road. And it all starts at the top. It does?  Archie is supposed to prevent Davis from showing his character?  Coaches can't and don't control kids.  Before you give me examples like Coach K or some high bar like that, talk to me about Christian Laettner or Grayson Allen and their antics.   Personal accountability is a concept lost in this country.   If Davis did that, it's on Davis....and Indiana's lack of an on court leader.  I said that was an issue 3 months before Fischer did the other day. The players have no accountability. Archie lets them play and play and play no matter what they do on the court.  Except he's benched Green twice and removed him from the starting lineup.  Indiana's played with 9-10 man rosters all season.  Who would you play?  Walk ons?   Yeah...that'll win.  

Next year doesn't project to be any better. This is you whining again.  You have no idea what next year will be.  And you're gauging this only by what you see without using any forward vision at all.   Indiana has the worst seniors I can remember and I've been watching for 45 years.  That matters.  We have no instant impact recruits coming in.  You just got done saying we can't shoot, and two of the recruits are very good shooters.  But even if they're not, are you really expecting freshmen to come in here and make the difference?  Weren't we done with one and done kids?   What about the current kids improving and getting healthier?  Unless you haven't seen the upward trend in Hunter....which is quite possible.  Our current guards are very average, at best.  One of them - who is the major problem -  will be gone next season.  Durham is mediocre at everything.  Phinisee and Franklin will both be better than they are now.  The lone bright spot has been TJD "lone?"  What are you watching?  You haven't seen what Brunk has done?  You haven't watched Hunter's improvement?  You're just whining again, and who knows if he'll even be here next year. I keep waiting for things to change, but they haven't yet. Depends on what you're watching.

43 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Anyone who has problems with the way we've played is "bitching for the sake of it." Sorry, but some of us are tired of getting fed **** sandwiches and being told to enjoy it. You're right, I am "bitching." When I sit on my couch and watch a low effort team play basketball like it's a chore their mom is making them do instead of something they love doing and take pride in, I get pissed off. When have you seen any on court leadership from a player on the team? When have you seen a player light into his teammates on the bench during a timeout when they've played like they're sleep walking? You may be one of the most stubborn people I've come across on the internet, but you're not stupid. You know your basketball. So that's how I know that you know we're not getting things done on the court. 

Yes, the players are soft. Coming back from injuries doesn't have anything to do with being soft or not on the basketball court. They could be the toughest guys on campus when they step off the basketball court, but when they've been on it this season they have played incredibly soft. Unless they're playing in front of a juiced up Assembly Hall, we struggle. We're 1-5 on the road this season. The fact that we have beaten Florida State, Michigan State, and Ohio State actually makes our struggles worse because they show what the team can do when they decide to show up and play. I'm not expecting a final four trip this season, but it's not too much to ask the players to show up and play with consistent effort. We're over halfway through season three and we still don't do that. 

And no, me saying next year doesn't project to be any better isn't me just "whining." We are a team battling for a tournament spot this season with a very bad offense. Our three recruits all seem like nice four year pieces, but they aren't 5 stars who are going to come in and lift us up as freshmen. I've said several times in here the past two weeks that Hunter's improvement is very promising and he's exactly what we need. 

Old Friend should go run the IU sports public relations department. He does a much better job rationalizing poor coaching and uninspired play than anyone directly connected to the basketball team. 
Except for when crean was coach then it was polar opposite lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

To be fair, I never thought I would see the day OF was more positive than me. He was most definitely the first vocal person off the CTC train about 11 years ago on any board. The Cody Zeller recruitment got a year plus reprieve until about that Illinois game where we lost on an out of bounds play under the basket with a second left and they got that wide open layup.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

To be fair, I never thought I would see the day OF was more positive than me. He was most definitely the first vocal person off the CTC train about 11 years ago on any board. The Cody Zeller recruitment got a year plus reprieve until about that Illinois game where we lost on an out of bounds play under the basket with a second left and they got that wide open layup.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I know, I feel like he was very early to jump to the conclusion that Crean wasn’t the right guy - I ended up joining him in that belief a year or two after but he was early and pretty down on Crean and the state of the program.

warning signs are here again but he isn’t fazed and I don’t understand it. I said it before but I’m glad he is on board with what’s happening because it gives me some faith it can get better. If 100% of us had no belief it would be a pretty sad place to be

6 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I know, I feel like he was very early to jump to the conclusion that Crean wasn’t the right guy - I ended up joining him in that belief a year or two after but he was early and pretty down on Crean and the state of the program.

warning signs are here again but he isn’t fazed and I don’t understand it. I said it before but I’m glad he is on board with what’s happening because it gives me some faith it can get better. If 100% of us had no belief it would be a pretty sad place to be

Probably because Crean had his own players from day one. Or at least my theory why some people gave up quicker on Crean than Archie. 

My issue is that Archie has the flexibility to have a 9 guy rotation of just his own players and he chose not to exercise this year. Then he goes and let’s two of Creans players become captains. If the problem is truly Creans players that never should have been allowed. 

If these results continue in year 4 and 5 I would expect people to stop blaming the players. But we shall see. 

For every criticism of Archie, right or wrong, reasonable or not, I just can't understand this new hot topic lately about Archie "allowing" Green and Durham to become captains. They were chosen by a team vote. What was he supposed to do? Tell them to choose who they want but you can't choose Devonte? And if you say he could have chosen them himself but he couldn't choose Crean players, he'd be choosing freshman or sophomores to captain. That very well could have divided the team right from the start. C'mon. There's plenty of things to criticize. It's hard to take any point being made seriously if you're also arguing this point. 

1 minute ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

For every criticism of Archie, right or wrong, reasonable or not, I just can't understand this new hot topic lately about Archie "allowing" Green and Durham to become captains. They were chosen by a team vote. What was he supposed to do? Tell them to choose who they want but you can't choose Devonte? And if you say he could have chosen them himself but he couldn't choose Crean players, he'd be choosing freshman or sophomores to captain. That very well could have divided the team right from the start. C'mon. There's plenty of things to criticize. It's hard to take any point being made seriously if you're also arguing this point. 

Very good points...I think they call that rock and a hard place.On top of that, I am sure Archie was hopeful he would turn over a new leaf and live up to his potential, with a captain role possibly providing some additional motivation.