Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

Actually IU isn’t on the bubble yet. Still solidly in the field. Lose the next 2 home games and they will be on the bubble but as of today nowhere near the cut line

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yes I get that. But I was being pretty generous to those who believe the sky has fallen and there is no hope. 

2 hours ago, HinnyHoosier said:

Yeah, I’m not sure about the Smith ire either. Maybe it’s just drawn from the collective frustration with the team and Smith’s own frustrating inconsistencies. But Green I get 100%. I’m fully convinced he is a major roadblock to team chemistry and I think Archie has tried to neutralize that by not completely yanking him from the rotation like he could if there were other reliable guard play. You pull a kid like that and his attitude just becomes cancerous. Fortunately (for him) he’s got enough thin guard play around him to keep him valuable.

I guess I'm probably in the minority here, but I personally don't think this team gets substantially better until Smith is gone. He starts every game, and plays a lot of minutes, so I would assume he is the standard Archie wants. He must be an awesome practice player. I get he's a pretty decent defender when he wants to be, but on good days he plays to about 75% of his capabilities. Most times he just seems to be going through the motions. He reminds me of someone just putting in their time, but not really enjoying their job.

It's sad that he is one of our most consistent players. Consistency is great if it's toward the top end of the spectrum. I just feel like he is consistently average.

I guess I'm probably in the minority here, but I personally don't think this team gets substantially better until Smith is gone. He starts every game, and plays a lot of minutes, so I would assume he is the standard Archie wants. He must be an awesome practice player. I get he's a pretty decent defender when he wants to be, but on good days he plays to about 75% of his capabilities. Most times he just seems to be going through the motions. He reminds me of someone just putting in their time, but not really enjoying their job.
It's sad that he is one of our most consistent players. Consistency is great if it's toward the top end of the spectrum. I just feel like he is consistently average.

Consistently average and our 2nd best player. He’s just playing in a bad lineup. If we had a 4 and/or 5 that could shoot 3’s he’d be better.

If he was that much of a cancer I'd question why he's still on the team at all.  Pull the scholarship and use it on a grad transfer or someone else.

I’ll actually agree with Joe here in regard to coach protecting his job. Archie isn’t in immediate danger of getting canned, but he knows progress is paramount for security going forward and it’s now or never. Again, because the guard play is so weak, he’d be mistaken to remove Green completely because he is our best shooter. Unless the kid does something downright egregious Archie really can’t afford to remove him entirely, or even limit him to less than 5-10 minutes a game. Now that we’re in the gauntlet of the B1G, he has to keep the status quo. I just have the feeling that you never know what Green is capable of if he gets his minutes chopped drastically or removed from the team.

15 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

I’ll actually agree with Joe here in regard to coach protecting his job. Archie isn’t in immediate danger of getting canned, but he knows progress is paramount for security going forward and it’s now or never. Again, because the guard play is so weak, he’d be mistaken to remove Green completely because he is our best shooter. Unless the kid does something downright egregious Archie really can’t afford to remove him entirely, or even limit him to less than 5-10 minutes a game. Now that we’re in the gauntlet of the B1G, he has to keep the status quo. I just have the feeling that you never know what Green is capable of if he gets his minutes chopped drastically or removed from the team.

Honestly, if Green was that much of a cancer I'd give Miller more credit and slack for removing him because it means he's actively addressing a problem.

As is stands he's accepting the consequences, or cancer if that's actually the case, so he gets no slack from me.

Honestly, if Green was that much of a cancer I'd give Miller more credit and slack for removing him because it means he's actively addressing a problem.

As is stands he's accepting the consequences, or cancer if that's actually the case, so he gets no slack from me.

Believe me, I’d respect the heck out of him for that. Maybe he doesn’t feel a potential new boss would feel the same way knowing we could potentially add to our tournament drought. It’s hard to know and I hate to speculate too much. Things may not be all that bad, but I do believe an interaction like the one described isn’t an isolated episode. It’s not good either way and I think Archie has been dealing with a lot more than Xs and Os for quite a while now.

2 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

You take a couple hours off the board and have to read 20 pages to catch up haha. 

Without reading the last couple pages, has DG done something recently that would indicate he truly is a cancer? I know some have had concerns, including me in the past, about his on bench antics, lack of enthusiasm for team members etc...I have also seen times this year where he has been engaged, celebrating with team members etc. To just kick him off the team isn't appropriate IMO, but limiting his minutes is. It is on Archie for continuing to play him, that I can agree with. Will playing Bybee be any better, probably not, but I guess it couldn't hurt at this point haha. 

The DG situation in my opinion is unfortunate. We all have such high expectations for him because of the glimpses he has shown, but in reality he is a fringe power 5 conference guard, and on any other team would never be depended on to be the guy. He is inconsistent, sloppy and loose with the ball and always looking to make the home run play vs. the smart play. He has shown glimpses of being a very good on ball defender, but even that has slipped as of late. 

I don't think DG is a cancer, or the sole reason we are struggling. I just don't think DG is a high level player, playing on a team with 1 elite level player and a mix of supporting/role players. When you look at our team, ask yourself these questions. 1. How many of our guys would start on any other top big ten team? And 2. If you were putting together an all big ten roster, how many of our players  would make that team? I can truthfully say, only Trayce would make mine.  

Our young guys can continue to grow and develop, but right now...we just aren't very good.

You take a couple hours off the board and have to read 20 pages to catch up haha. 
Without reading the last couple pages, has DG done something recently that would indicate he truly is a cancer? I know some have had concerns, including me in the past, about his on bench antics, lack of enthusiasm for team members etc...I have also seen times this year where he has been engaged, celebrating with team members etc. To just kick him off the team isn't appropriate IMO, but limiting his minutes is. It is on Archie for continuing to play him, that I can agree with. Will playing Bybee be any better, probably not, but I guess it couldn't hurt at this point haha. 
The DG situation in my opinion is unfortunate. We all have such high expectations for him because of the glimpses he has shown, but in reality he is a fringe power 5 conference guard, and on any other team would never be depended on to be the guy. He is inconsistent, sloppy and loose with the ball and always looking to make the home run play vs. the smart play. He has shown glimpses of being a very good on ball defender, but even that has slipped as of late. 
I don't think DG is a cancer, or the sole reason we are struggling. I just don't think DG is a high level player, playing on a team with 1 elite level player and a mix of supporting/role players. When you look at our team, ask yourself these questions. 1. How many of our guys would start on any other top big ten team? And 2. If you were putting together an all big ten roster, how many of our players  would make that team? I can truthfully say, only Trayce would make mine.  
Our young guys can continue to grow and develop, but right now...we just aren't very good.

Dakich came on his show and said Smith was trying to get Green to box out during a free throw in a specific position. Devontes use of the N word that ensued in a non friendly banter offended Dan. Then for some reason he went in on Justin Smith while saying he did what he was suppose to?

Dakich came on his show and said Smith was trying to get Green to box out during a free throw in a specific position. Devontes use of the N word that ensued in a non friendly banter offended Dan. Then for some reason he went in on Justin Smith while saying he did what he was suppose to?

Clearly Green isn’t a leader. A good teammate would just say okay man and do it.

I was in the sunshine pumper's position last year. I thought that everything was fine. I thought Archie was the right guy. Them this year happened. We have the same problems we had last year. We're one of the worst shooting teams in the country. Our players don't play with effort the majority of the time. Our players are incredibly soft. Not a single player steps up and shows any pride when we're getting embarrassed. You have De'ron Davis running down the court giggling when we're getting blown out on the road. And it all starts at the top. The players have no accountability. Archie lets them play and play and play no matter what they do on the court. 

Next year doesn't project to be any better. We have no instant impact recruits coming in. Our current guards are very average, at best. The lone bright spot has been TJD, and who knows if he'll even be here next year. I keep waiting for things to change, but they haven't yet. 

I was in the sunshine pumper's position last year. I thought that everything was fine. I thought Archie was the right guy. Them this year happened. We have the same problems we had last year. We're one of the worst shooting teams in the country. Our players don't play with effort the majority of the time. Our players are incredibly soft. Not a single player steps up and shows any pride when we're getting embarrassed. You have De'ron Davis running down the court giggling when we're getting blown out on the road. And it all starts at the top. The players have no accountability. Archie lets them play and play and play no matter what they do on the court. 
Next year doesn't project to be any better. We have no instant impact recruits coming in. Our current guards are very average, at best. The lone bright spot has been TJD, and who knows if he'll even be here next year. I keep waiting for things to change, but they haven't yet. 
Yep you are right

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I don’t see how Archie could ever let Green become a Captain. 
Add it to long and growing list of red flags however I presume he hoped since he was a senior it might help him mature and be the player he should be. Why he hasn't realized he is immature and took major action is more alarming. I think we now know why even crean was tough on him

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just watched a few minutes of the Kentucky game and while they’re having a down year, I’m seeing some great set plays with their guard driving and dishing off to their big that is on the opposite side.

Forcing the man guarding the big to let the guard get to the hoop or help off and when he helps they make him pay

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

7 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Pretty much where I am. It's crazy how neutered Archie has become. He was all business, no-nonsense when he came here and now he just comes off as a complete pushover. Whether our administration has done that or it's just the pressure of the job, he's not the same guy he was when we hired him. Not sure if others have noticed, but he looks like he's lost weight, and not because of dieting. 

I'm of the belief that if we miss the tourney this year, he should be gone. Screw the buyout. No one can convince me that Indiana University wouldn't be able to come up with the money to take care of that, however it needed to be done. Keeping him around if he's 0 for 3 on March Madness would only be delaying the inevitable. There's no Cody Zeller coming in next year, and there's no Victor Oladipo on this roster. What is he supposed to tell recruits? Come and help save my job? We'd be better off getting a fresh start with someone else who'd have a better recruiting pitch, a different vision, and I don't know, maybe someone who wouldn't get his @$$ kicked by Indiana freaking State in his first game. 

Another thing...the word "culture" has been getting thrown around a lot. Has he really changed the culture here? Maybe guys play better defense now, but is the culture really better? Are we getting better APR scores and avoiding the possibility of dreaded postseason bans? Are players more relaxed now that we aren't having the annual lottery known as Spring Creaning? Are we showing everyone we're serious about basketball again? If the answer to any of these is no, then guess what? The culture is still rotten. Blueblood basketball program, indeed.