Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

9 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He gets bashed because he seems to not care. And in games we’ve won down the stretch, where has he been? On the bench. Ohio State and Michigan State. But vs Arkansas and Maryland.. he’s in and we lose.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

And Phinisee has literally hit game winning shots for us.

6 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

That’s about the most obvious yet problematic thing this team has done for almost 3 years straight. Stupid is as stupid does. Who is this guy and how do we get him on our bench?

Problem is if some internet coach sees it, and we all see it, the $3 million dollar man doesn't. 

If you are like me and think the offensive system we run and what’s being taught and that things aren’t getting fixed, watch this.

If you think the only reason our offense is bad is because we have no shooters, watch this.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
Unreal. Making a bad shooting team even worse by teaching them incorrect spacing. And if they aren't being taught incorrectly then they are all making the same exact mistakes over and over again without being held accountable it would seem. Either way this is very bad.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I'm also staring to wonder if this staff has changed shooters mechanics. I mean look back at Rob Johnson, good shooter then this staff got ahold of him. Same for Hartman, maybe Romeo and Anderson (granted his was at HS level and his shot has always looked odd). I mean if they are trying to fix shooting motions or techniques but instead breaking them then stop trying to fix what isn't broken.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

Problem is if some internet coach sees it, and we all see it, the $3 million dollar man doesn't. 

This 100%! It doesn't take a multi-million dollar coach to see the fatal flaws of poor offense. 

15 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

If you are like me and think the offensive system we run and what’s being taught and that things aren’t getting fixed, watch this.

If you think the only reason our offense is bad is because we have no shooters, watch this.

This is fantastic. So suspicions of the other team just simply clogging the lane because we don't have shooters isn't necessarily true. We don't have shooters, don't understand spacing and driving lanes, have wrong line-ups etc. Looks like all easy fixes, but this is year 3. We have a week to prepare for Purdue, with KenPom projecting a 2 pt. win. It's 1 of 4 remaining projected wins this year. 9 games left and we need to win four of them to probably get in the tourney. Gonna be a tough road ahead as we are currently ranked 12th out of 14 teams in the BIG according to Kenpom. 

I think we have a lot of smart kids, just doesn’t translate to basketball that well.

I’d say it’s half and half. Our coaching staff is god awful at coaching. And our players just can’t play above themselves most nights. A great coach would do wonders. Especially one that could coach an offense.

18 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Been pondering this and the best I can come up with is this. 

This is too basic for any coach to be missing. So I’m wondering if this is meant to somewhere get the defender that Phinisee runs into to commit a foul. 

But that’s literally all I can reason this is too basic. This would be like a mechanic who knows the gas tank is empty but still can’t figure out why a car won’t start. 

Maybe I’m wrong but I feel like that play has to be trying to accomplish something besides a clear path to the lane. It’s just too obviously broken if a clear lane is the objective. 

This is too basic for any coach to be missing. So I’m wondering if this is meant to somewhere get the defender that Phinisee runs into to commit a foul. 

But that’s literally all I can reason this is too basic. This would be like a mechanic who knows the gas tank is empty but still can’t figure out why a car won’t start. 

Maybe I’m wrong but I feel like that play has to be trying to accomplish something besides a clear path to the lane. It’s just too obviously broken if a clear lane is the objective. 

Good stuff. Wonder if the ball screen cross screen action is designed for a post feed rather than a drive. Also the flat ball screen the dribbler should know what side the screen is coming & attack the open post side. Think they run most action for post feeds not drives

B Tonsoni

100% think B/S, C/S action is designed for the throwback & post feed. Problem is, with opposite block occupied, it’s easy to front & rely on help side to take that away (what OSU did). Also agree that stuff is run for post feeds, but everything is so well scouted, feeds takenaway

Guy who tweeted the originals response

Why would you ever clog the lane and impede your own teammates progress?

It happens too often for it not to be taught, just makes no sense

25 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Why would you ever clog the lane and impede your own teammates progress?

It happens too often for it not to be taught, just makes no sense

Not saying it’s not taught. Say it’s not designed to get a clear lane. It’s objective is something else. A post feed or foul possibly. 

Whatever it is it’s clearly not working. 

Good stuff. Wonder if the ball screen cross screen action is designed for a post feed rather than a drive. Also the flat ball screen the dribbler should know what side the screen is coming & attack the open post side. Think they run most action for post feeds not drives

B Tonsoni

100% think B/S, C/S action is designed for the throwback & post feed. Problem is, with opposite block occupied, it’s easy to front & rely on help side to take that away (what OSU did). Also agree that stuff is run for post feeds, but everything is so well scouted, feeds takenaway

Guy who tweeted the originals response

It’s clearly a terrible offensive scheme.

I like to go back and watch highlights of some of our past teams, because it's fun to remember how good some of our recent teams were in spite of our program's national irrelevancy. 

Here is from 2016, when we won at Illinois. Holy sh*t, that team was good. Made 13 threes, won by 27 after being down at the half, on the road, no less. Nick Zeisloft hit four threes. A bench player hitting four threes in a game...we've had games in the last few weeks where the whole team didn't even make that many.

Yogi put on a clinic that night. Makes it painfully obvious how terrible our guard play has been since he left. 

10 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I like to go back and watch highlights of some of our past teams, because it's fun to remember how good some of our recent teams were in spite of our program's national irrelevancy. 

Here is from 2016, when we won at Illinois. Holy sh*t, that team was good. Made 13 threes, won by 27 after being down at the half, on the road, no less. Nick Zeisloft hit four threes. A bench player hitting four threes in a game...we've had games in the last few weeks where the whole team didn't even make that many.

Yogi put on a clinic that night. Makes it painfully obvious how terrible our guard play has been since he left. 

1-5 could bury a 3 at any given time for 40 straight minutes. Thank you for that 3.5 minutes of bliss. 

[/url]  

I love watching the 12-13 team. They just made it look easy at time and everyone had a role.