Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

I rarely post but follow most threads. But if my memory serves me, a lot of posters on this board, last year, were saying this is how bad/good we would be this year. No shooters coming in and we have 3-3 star guards & 1-4 star who's playing like a 3. That's average at best and that's how good we are. We have 3-4 star bigs & 1-5 star and that's where our talent is. And we only have 1-4 star guard coming in next year. Our guards are not physically or mentally good enough to understand what needs to be done, like feed the bigs and turnovers ect. Especially this year in the Big 10. That was all said last year too on here. So we have had an average team for 2 straight years & CAM has not brought them along/developed them well enough that they are noticeably better last 3 years.  Yes we have won against some talented teams but even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. Bottom line is I didn't have high expectations this year or next because of what was pointed out on this board last year. And guess what. The posters were right. We are not good, just average. My disappointment is with the coaching staff. CAM was a good guard but can't seem to develop our guards. Making same bone head plays 80% of the time. Esp. DG. IMO I believe Cam is in over his head in the Big 10. He's not showing any reason to refute that. With all that said I'm in for 1 more year with him which will  then be all his recruits. So what will change next year to make us better? 

34 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

True. Purdue will come to play though. IU better be ready

I would say that this year, Purdue hasn't shown up to play as often as IU hasn't.  I think they have 6 games decided by double digits in the Big Ten -- 3 wins and 3 losses.

15 minutes ago, Josh said:

At this point, I think anybody who still has faith in Archie only does so because they don't want to admit being wrong.

Faith is belief in something for which you have no evidence to believe in.  Personally, I don't have faith in anything.  It's more about level of hope or belief.

Personally, I'm still in shock of the end of the Maryland game.  Our warts were there before and after it and the last two games were very ugly.  But this is a team that should be 16-6 and 6-5 in conference, and even with the ugly losses at Penn State and Ohio State there would be every reason to believe that we are a tournament team.  The Maryland game rightly has us very skittish.

We will find ourselves to be accurate with concerns all along. I wasn’t calling for anyone’s head to begin these worries, but I’m pretty much there.

I’m at the point of NGAF! And I hate it.

New coach means another 2 or 3 years wasted. I might need to find another hobby. This isn’t much fun anymore.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Hire the right coach though and it shouldn’t take 2-3 years to see glimpses of good basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

This is just a brutally honest question...but why would any elite 2021 players come to Indiana right now? Why would our own Mr. Basketball choose IU after watching the last 2 play on struggling teams. THIS is what concerns me the most. 
If we continue down this road, recruiting becomes a problem.

Playing time: However, do we really want kids coming here mainly because they get more playing time than at other schools?

Last year or 2 years ago?  Huh?  Don doesn't sound too upset about the team this week .. 

https://omny.fm/shows/the-dan-dakich-show/best-of-the-dan-dakich-show-monday-1-27 

Look up don Fischer complaining about effort. I think it is titled don Fischer sounds off on what is wrong with iu and give it a listen. It was last year

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Look up don Fischer complaining about effort. I think it is titled don Fischer sounds off on what is wrong with iu and give it a listen. It was last year

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I remember hearing that live on Dan's show when I was driving through Indy.  I was surprised that Don was saying the same things all of us do on here!  He was very fired up about the effort, or lack thereof.

6 hours ago, Demo said:

The system? Stop it. Watch UK play in the half court tonight against Auburn. Almost all of their base actions are the same as what Miller’s running. But, ya know, Cal really struggles to recruit guards. Kept hearing that Underwood couldn’t recruit guards to Illinois because he runs so much spread while big time HS guards want to play in pick and roll to show off for the League. Dosunmu, Miller and Curbelo would indicate otherwise. 

The issue isn’t Miller’s philosophy or his systems, though I’m not a packline guy at all. But any coherent philosophy can be successful if taught and recruited to in a disciplined, focused way. Any of them. Jay Wright and Tony Bennett have 3 NC’s coaching completely different systems. They win by being slavishly committed to what they do. Crean’s ultimate downfall here wasn’t scheme, he’s got some beautiful actions, it was failure of discipline. The question is can Miller teach, motivate and construct a roster? That’s a legitimate question. I question why you take both Leal and Galloway in this class. I question why he offered Anderson, who’s a poor system fit. That’s not on the kid.  I question why after 50 games in the system Rob still can’t read the back side action. Brunk and De’Ron are a mess trying to hedge and recover and smart teams will just keep them in ball screen, So the defense constantly ends up in rotation. Unless you’re Chris Beard, that ain’t what you want. So why doesn’t he alter that, either schematically or by personnel changes? And I question why this team isn’t growing faster mentally. 

But, no, the system ain’t the problem. 

BS

Either the system isn’t working or the system isn’t in place and we don’t know if it will work. But not having a system in place by year 3 is absolutely pathetic. 

His system is designed to draw fouls with big ten officiating. Seems like there’s some holes in that theory

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

I want to win.  But if winning means bringing in a Sampson or Pearl, I guess winning isn’t that important to me.

Sad fact is every winning program cheats in today’s college basketball. Top players win championships and costs top $ to get them to play for your school. Bobby Knight didn’t cheat but he always had top talent. I am willing for our coach to do what every other blue blood coach or program is doing to attract top talent. It appears Archie is not going to get it done sadly. No more up and coming coaches; we need one that already knows the machinations of sleezy handlers and bag men and aau ball. I don’t want Pearl though lol.

27 minutes ago, triple said:

I hate admitting this but I'd settle for being able to enjoy watching the games at this point.  Our guys are in quick sand and watching it feels like a bad day at the office.

Yep.  It's why I don't get excited about just making it into the tournament.  This team isn't fun to watch and they really aren't very good.  It's a shame that we put together a good game against Maryland, but they happened to be unconscious from beyond the arc in the first half - but we STILL had the game in hand coming down the stretch and literally gave it away.  PSU played horribly, but we played considerably worse and lost a game that a decent team would have won going away.

Winning while playing a crappy team when we are just a little bit better isn't satisfying at all.  Watching a team miss multiple point-blank shots, getting beaten on 50-50 balls regularly, and allowing opponents to drain 3 pointer after 3 pointer is simply aggravating.

Pearl will never happen but I’ll take a winner like that all day.

Archie ain’t got it. Or Indiana doesn’t allow him to get it. Maybe more likely.

Freakin’ Auburn Basketball is a top team.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I wonder if it is just IU. I still think that when we hired Archie we hoped he could be like Sean then all of a sudden Sean doesn’t look so appealing to the admin so we got cold feet and limit him.