Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

42 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

I don’t know about this. I saw plenty of wide open shots in those first 12, especially from the corner. Maryland was unconscious in the first half so I agree they made shots but I wouldn’t go as far to say the defense was perfect. Even in the second half they got some wide open looks from the corner, IU just lucked out their shooting starting showing their true colors.

I agree that the team has improved tremendously over the last month which is great to see. Just thought I’d provide a little backup to Brass Cannon at the risk of myself. I’m sure I’ll get torn apart for it but I thought we were hedging far too strongly and thus had to scramble back to defend. That seemed to be adjusted at halftime as Brunk was the main culprit in those first 12 on Smith but seemed much better to start the second half. Just my immediate observations watching the game and not bothering with a rewatch of it.

Still not advocating for Archie’s dismissal fwiw, just don’t think the criticisms provided in here aren’t without merit

Watch the last defensive sequence where we hedged then allowed Smith to run freely to the basket for the go ahead bucket. Ball game.

4 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Watch the last defensive sequence where we hedged then allowed Smith to run freely to the basket for the go ahead bucket. Ball game.

Don't disagree, just for 19 minutes of the second half I thought the adjustments made by the staff were far better than what we were doing for the first 12 minutes of the ballgame. The team's effort has been consistent lately, just a difficult loss yesterday when the game appeared to be ours.

6 hours ago, 323SGrant said:

You beat me to it. Very unfortunate that their best player’s game winning shot was one my grandfather could make.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I mean how do you leave Smith in that situation? 17000 knew where the ball was going and we made it easy for him.

12 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Sorry, what happened to him?

He went to the rim strong against Michigan State, collided in midair with I forget who, fell hard and landed on his tailbone it looked like.  He writhed in pain on the floor awhile, was checked out there, and was able to walk to the bench, but missed the rest of the Michigan State game, the Maryland game, and I am told he is most likely missing the Penn State game also.

8 hours ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

He went to the rim strong against Michigan State, collided in midair with I forget who, fell hard and landed on his tailbone it looked like.  He writhed in pain on the floor awhile, was checked out there, and was able to walk to the bench, but missed the rest of the Michigan State game, the Maryland game, and I am told he is missing the Penn State game also.

That's right. Thanks. 

He went to the rim strong against Michigan State, collided in midair with I forget who, fell hard and landed on his tailbone it looked like.  He writhed in pain on the floor awhile, was checked out there, and was able to walk to the bench, but missed the rest of the Michigan State game, the Maryland game, and I am told he is missing the Penn State game also.

It was Xavier Tillman which started the FU Tillman chant that got us a talking to. Big boy. That was a nasty spill.

It was Xavier Tillman which started the FU Tillman chant that got us a talking to. Big boy. That was a nasty spill.

It didn't seem malicious at all on TV. As far as live did it seem malicious? You were there right? Thought I read where you said you were

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Yeh, that was hard.  Both guys going hard after that one.  Very proud of the toughness the team has shown the last few games.  IU is going to need to be very, very tough to make it through the rest of the season, and to force the Hoosiers' way into the wide open NCAA tournament this year.  It is hard to imagine, but the 'easy' part of the schedule is already over for IU.

And the F-U chant most of the fan base is so embarrassed to know took place on our court by our fans is the type of important in game experience that does not translate watching the game on television.  Most television viewers would not even be aware of some of the bad behavior some IU fans showcased during that big MSU game, without learning about it during discussions of the game afterward with people who were in attendance that day.  If you had not reminded me of the student section chants, I possibly may have forgotten they had happened.  I am curious now to hear about how our fans behaved during the Maryland game.  I have not heard anything about the behavior of our fans during the Maryland game.

It just occurred to me that it is even possible that Jalen Smith, remember he is only 19 years old,  may have been referencing the IU students' F-U chants during the MSU game when he got caught up in the moment at the Hall screaming the same thing back at the IU crowd near the end of the Maryland game.  I am not excusing the poor judgment he made at that time, but rather trying to understand it better.  I really want to like that guy after watching his performance against IU.  He was nearly unstoppable, and I found myself simply in awe of the talent, and his seemingly complete game, so much so that at the very end of the game when he immediately went back to the crowd after the game ended and taunted the crowd with the "This is MY Hall!" screams, my heart sank thinking, "oh man, this is a serious bummer, on top of everything else that just happened, am I not going to be able to like this guy now?"  My heart was already sinking fast immediately following the loss, and watching that short spectacle made it plunge faster to mingle on the level of some of my all time low depths as an IU fan.  That was tough, the bad kind of tough this time. 

It didn't seem malicious at all on TV. As far as live did it seem malicious? You were there right? Thought I read where you said you were

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

He hit the ground very hard. One of the loudest thuds in AH I have heard in person. I think that’s why most assumed in person it was dirty. Then we watched the replay. Unfortunately the students really didn’t. It was an immediate FU. Yeah, people weren’t too thrilled about that chant amongst others that day.

24 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

FWIW.  

14 CBB head coaches were hired 3 seasons ago. Only 3 of them have improved their team's KenPom rating across all 3 seasons. Archie Miller, Anthony Grant, and Brad Underwood

Yeah, but .... I mean, yeah but ... I mean ... wrong thread!!  :)