Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

5 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Diversity hire or not, Sampson was a good hire. He's a very good coach. We likely would've hung up another banner by now, or at least made it back to the final four, if he hadn't been fired. 

I dispute that Sampson was a good hire.  I would agree he's a very good coach though.  I just don't want any part of what the players under Sampson were allowed to do at the time.  That's not Indiana culture and has no part on the campus at Indiana University.  If Sampson had an "ethics coach" that could follow the team around and keep them within the rules I'd be perfectly happy with Sampson coaching the team.

25 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I dispute that Sampson was a good hire.  I would agree he's a very good coach though.  I just don't want any part of what the players under Sampson were allowed to do at the time.  That's not Indiana culture and has no part on the campus at Indiana University.  If Sampson had an "ethics coach" that could follow the team around and keep them within the rules I'd be perfectly happy with Sampson coaching the team.

Saying we likely would have hung a banner when Sampson was here doesn't account for the fact that if he did, it also would likely be stripped later.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

Saying we likely would have hung a banner when Sampson was here doesn't account for the fact that if he did, it also would likely be stripped later.

Because a player failed a drug test?  We might have lost a player to an OD from the celebration of a banner too...

11 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I doubt it.  That didn't happen to UNC for what they did so I doubt texts would've even registered.

Unless IU would've been dumb enough to do it themselves like they did with the sanctions.

I doubt it.  That didn't happen to UNC for what they did so I doubt texts would've even registered.
Unless IU would've been dumb enough to do it themselves like they did with the sanctions.

I’ve been shocked and pissed that UNC came out of all that unscathed but where the NCAA had no balls the basketball gods have intervened and will have them with their first losing season in forever.

Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Some people are dangerously close to getting off the “Fire Archie” conversation.  It’s amazing what a “W” can do.  Might as well shut this thread down, at least until the next loss.  

Nah. Still on that train until he can prove he’s worthy.

8 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

I have heard the story about Herbert demanding we hire Sampson. I didn't realize he thought Kelvin was black. He is Native American (Lumbee Indian), so I guess he would've satisfied Herbert's demand for a minority ... I would've been fine with Beilein, but I would've wanted no part of Stallings. First, he hadn't really accomplished anything. Second, he's a Purdue guy. Man, I'm just not comfortable with a Purdue person coaching us (although Moren so far as worked out ... but Versyp was a huge mistake). I do remember hearing Stallings' name bandied about after Davis resigned. If memory serves, the main connection was that Greenspan (our AD at the time) had hired him at Illinois State ...  Sampson is a good coach, but our team had somewhat of a thuggish image under him. I remember seeing a story that with the exception of Eric Gordon and D.J. White, pretty much everyone on the team was smoking a lot of dope. And this is what always bugged me about Kelvin: When he took the job, he was told to stop the extra texting and phone calls -- whatever it was that got him in trouble at Oklahoma. And he didn't stop! I realize that what he got busted for is no longer a violation and it almost seemed a silly one back then, but the reality is -- it was a violation. And he kept doing it -- when he was told not to. 

Players were not only smoking dope, they were doing it in the locker room.  Let that sink in for a second...  It floored me to think that would happen at IU.   There was also some more exotic stuff going on, and when Dakich said he cleaned house, it needed to be done.   Badly.  Sampson fits just fine at Houston.  He didn't fit at Indiana.  And yeah, he fit the minority profile, but Herbert caved to Jesse Jackson and his band of thugs who were all in Davis' corner.   Their demands were met.  I'll leave it at that. 

Mike Davis himself helped plant that seed and sowed them for 6 seasons and my comments about him have been my most blunt and by far my most critical.  He was an idiot then.  An arrogant, ignorant boob who said more dumb things in 6 years than any man deserves in a lifetime.  A disaster and a complete mess who never should have been hired in the first place.  Indiana has done this damage to itself.  But in 2006-7?  Indiana University was a victim of its own political correctness and desire to avoid offending anyone interested in the untouchable.   

Here's Jason Whitlock's column explaining exactly what I'm saying and he is spot on :  

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/060216

13 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Players were not only smoking dope, they were doing it in the locker room.  Let that sink in for a second...  It floored me to think that would happen at IU.   There was also some more exotic stuff going on, and when Dakich said he cleaned house, it needed to be done.   Badly.  Sampson fits just fine at Houston.  He didn't fit at Indiana.  And yeah, he fit the minority profile, but Herbert caved to Jesse Jackson and his band of thugs who were all in Davis' corner.   Their demands were met.  I'll leave it at that. 

Mike Davis himself helped plant that seed and sowed them for 6 seasons and my comments about him have been my most blunt and by far my most critical.  He was an idiot then.  An arrogant, ignorant boob who said more dumb things in 6 years than any man deserves in a lifetime.  A disaster and a complete mess who never should have been hired in the first place.  Indiana has done this damage to itself.  But in 2006-7?  Indiana University was a victim of its own political correctness and desire to avoid offending anyone interested in the untouchable.   

Here's Jason Whitlock's column explaining exactly what I'm saying and he is spot on  

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/060216

Great Read. What's the Jesse Jackson Connection?

This is sort of related to Archie but IU better be real careful.

As someone who dropped my season tickets and buy 4-5 individual games on stub-hub now I can tell you the secondary market is really soft and is a buyers market. While this does not directly affect IU right now, people will stop buying season tickets if they cannot get a return on the ones they cannot go to and can buy cheaper on secondary market (this is reason I dropped). 

The Colts had a huge waiting list that went away really fast and now have 10k empty seats a game as team has been inconsistent and a big part of that is brokers cannot make money on secondary market which is a good percentage of your season ticket holders.

I think IU thinks they are invincible and people are so loyal and will keep buying season tickets but we are a year or two away from individual sales on primary market and official non-sellouts. This happened to Illinois a few years ago. IU is about to take a huge hit in the pocket book they don't even realize and by then it may be to late to act.

Now I have not so much soured Archie, but if he does not make tournament this year or especially next you cannot tell fans to be patient anymore. IU will need to make a splash hire with instant success or their basketball revenue will finally go down a lot which they would deserve. 

1 hour ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Great Read. What's the Jesse Jackson Connection?

Jesse came to Bloomington and met with Herbert, also stood on the steps of the student union in 2006 and played the race card.   Said Indiana wanted Davis fired because he was an African American and that was also the reason he was the lowest paid coach in the Big Ten for a while (which was his first protest against IU in 2003 or something).  The athletic department caved to that with a raise and an extension and caved to the racist stuff when they hired Sampson.  Herbert had the full support of Jesse and his mob.

As someone who dropped my season tickets and buy 4-5 individual games on stub-hub now I can tell you the secondary market is really soft and is a buyers market. While this does not directly affect IU right now, people will stop buying season tickets if they cannot get a return on the ones they cannot go to and can buy cheaper on secondary market (this is reason I dropped). 
The Colts had a huge waiting list that went away really fast and now have 10k empty seats a game as team has been inconsistent and a big part of that is brokers cannot make money on secondary market which is a good percentage of your season ticket holders.
I think IU thinks they are invincible and people are so loyal and will keep buying season tickets but we are a year or two away from individual sales on primary market and official non-sellouts. This happened to Illinois a few years ago. IU is about to take a huge hit in the pocket book they don't even realize and by then it may be to late to act.
Now I have not so much soured Archie, but if he does not make tournament this year or especially next you cannot tell fans to be patient anymore. IU will need to make a splash hire with instant success or their basketball revenue will finally go down a lot which they would deserve. 
Yea I got ohio state tickets through the school day before game. That would have not been the case long time ago

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

16 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Yea I got ohio state tickets through the school day before game. That would have not been the case long time ago

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

That's because that was a break game with student section re-sold (8,000 tickets). Those have never sold out and growing up these were the games my family would go to. Look at the box scores from the Knight era and all are listed as sellouts of over 17K EXCEPT the break games which were 14-15k. Nothing has changed there in history of program.

IU still has full 'sellouts' with students in session but the number of no-shows and the low price of the secondary market is a warning sign and always the first indication that people are ready to drop their season tickets soon and then it will hit IU in the pocket book. For this year revenue is not hurt at all but it will moving forward without a winning product.

As I said this was warning sign for Colts in 2017 before 2018 and now they have 10,000 unsold seats a game from the team. IU is getting a warning sign and if it does not heed it the bottom line is about to take a hit money wise.     

That's because that was a break game with student section re-sold (8,000 tickets). Those have never sold out and growing up these were the games my family would go to. Look at the box scores from the Knight era and all are listed as sellouts of over 17K EXCEPT the break games which were 14-15k. Nothing has changed there in history of program.
IU still has full 'sellouts' with students in session but the number of no-shows and the low price of the secondary market is a warning sign and always the first indication that people are ready to drop their season tickets soon and then it will hit IU in the pocket book. For this year revenue is not hurt at all but it will moving forward without a winning product.
As I said this was warning sign for Colts in 2017 before 2018 and now they have 10,000 unsold seats a game from the team. IU is getting a warning sign and if it does not heed it the bottom line is about to take a hit money wise.     

It is not only season ticket holders that are at risk of dropping. Corporate sponsorships contribute a lot of money to IU and speaking first hand, the value of that is dropping.

Jesse came to Bloomington and met with Herbert, also stood on the steps of the student union in 2006 and played the race card.   Said Indiana wanted Davis fired because he was an African American and that was also the reason he was the lowest paid coach in the Big Ten for a while (which was his first protest against IU in 2003 or something).  The athletic department caved to that with a raise and an extension and caved to the racist stuff when they hired Sampson.  Herbert had the full support of Jesse and his mob.

That’s why you don’t cave to idiots like that.

On 1/22/2020 at 12:06 PM, Aaron said:

Yea the wife has said lots of B1G tickets available that used to not be. Im just not interested in traveling 2 hrs to watch this team right now.