Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

I like Archie and I want him to succeed. He has to make the dance this year to avoid the hot seat next. He also has to go out and get a grad transfer shooter. Someone like Ziesloft to spread the floor while guys like Leal develop. Then he needs to either get an assistant to develop shooters or get  a guy a class who is a 40%+ guy from deep. 

8 minutes ago, VO5 said:

I’ve wanted so bad to like Archie and for him to be the guy, but there are just too many red flags that refuse to go away. I also thought it was really telling reading that article (can’t remember when it was released, maybe someone can find it) asking opinions of coaches in the conference anonymously, and Archie was mentioned as one of 2-3 coaches that were easiest to gameplan against/that other coaches wanted to stay at their schools. 

If opposing coaches want him to stay, that's a bad sign.

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’m a diehard, and will always be but Archie’s version of Indiana basketball isn’t fun. It’s predictable. Even the wins are generally ugly.

I'm just curious.  What is your version of Indiana basketball, do you have something in mind?  Again just curious.  

I'm just curious.  What is your version of Indiana basketball, do you have something in mind?  Again just curious.  
Winning pretty lol. Sorry I will let Wayne answer. I hope he says fundamentally sound basketball. Were iu we should play smart and shoot the ball well. Again sorry for answering but this cant shoot turn the ball over crap is for the birds

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

This season is still in great shape yesterday did almost nothing to hurt that only bad loss is Arkansas at home. I fear though are luck may be running out. If we can win the next 3 were in outstanding shape. 1 of 2 were still alive but if we go 0 for 3 were done. All very possible scenarios. I will wait to judge but this is a gigantic part of the season right now imo

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

6 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

In an IndyStar article they pointed out that in Miller's 3 years our 3pt shooting has gotten worse each year.  And on his show Miller called the criticism "BS"; nothing changes if nothing changes and if he thinks whatever they're doing is working then he's either dense or blind.

It's not that our shooting pct. is bad, it is.  It's one thing if they have a chance to go in and don't.  But IU's shots look like a 5th grade rec. team.  I have seen air balls, clanks of the front of the rim, clanks off the backboard, hell even one off the side of the backboard.  Nobody with a real shooters touch.  

5 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

It's not that our shooting pct. is bad, it is.  It's one thing if they have a chance to go in and don't.  But IU's shots look like a 5th grade rec. team.  I have seen air balls, clanks of the front of the rim, clanks off the backboard, hell even one off the side of the backboard.  Nobody with a real shooters touch.  

I thought I saw a free throw(?) that nearly hit the shot clock yesterday.

A winning basketball program is my number 1. What is winning to me? A perennial top 25 type team. Top 10 type team every second or third year. Should make the dance almost every year. (17/20 seasons or so). Bad years should be 8 seeds. Good years should be 1 and 2 seeds.

Basically the way Crean had us rolling with Zeller. Those are the type of years that we should expect. Not necessarily being number 1.

Great recruiting. Average top 10 to 15 classes.

Play hard on offense and defense. Play smart. Look like the more prepared team in general.

Shots going in makes a team “look good” vs relying on FTs and fouls to win games. Archie’s Indiana teams have been historically the worst shooting teams in Indiana history.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I think it’s odd no matter what that people think Archie will magically coach a really good offense just because of some shooters. He never coached a good offense at Dayton. And we can’t expect 3 freshman to fix all of our shooting problems. Which contradicts what so many here want. They want to get old and stay old but then expect freshman to fix all the problems.

I want Archie to grow and adapt.  He's in the big time now, it's time to be a complete coach.  What works at Dayton, doesn't work here.  It's not rocket science.  

A winning basketball program is my number 1. What is winning to me? A perennial top 25 type team. Top 10 type team every second or third year. Should make the dance almost every year. (17/20 seasons or so). Bad years should be 8 seeds. Good years should be 1 and 2 seeds.

Basically the way Crean had us rolling with Zeller. Those are the type of years that we should expect. Not necessarily being number 1.

Great recruiting. Average top 10 to 15 classes.

Play hard on offense and defense. Play smart. Look like the more prepared team in general.

Shots going in makes a team “look good” vs relying on FTs and fouls to win games. Archie’s Indiana teams have been historically the worst shooting teams in Indiana history.

I’m pretty much in the same boat. This basketball is incredibly boring. We have to evolve with the times. So not only is it plying smart and tough but you have to make it look pretty and sometimes viral. On offense I want to mainly see a motion. College basketball players at Indiana should be able to run a simple motion offense. But players have to attack as well and read and react to the defense with good drives and dishes, strong and meaningful rolls/pops, backcuts, slashes, good post ups. A team that runs beautiful out of bounds plays that actually get buckets often and aren’t just made to get the ball in. Good handling, good shooting from the 1-3 spots. If our 4 can shoot than awesome, if not, it won’t hurt any because 1-3 are too good to leave. Defensively, I don’t give a rats a$$ about the pack line. Play a simple man to man, play the passing lanes, force turnovers, get out on the break and throw some alley oops. Tempo wise, it’s whatever the game feeling is. But it shouldn’t hinder us any.

We don’t do any of this. We haven’t in 3 years now. I don’t believe we ever will under Archie.

So we have 7 more home games. The students will be there for the rest of them, so that helps home court advantage. We win those 7 games and there are our 20 wins. Will it happen? Who knows. I'm trying to hold off my judgment on Archie until after this season is over. 

4 hours ago, Feathery said:

I was listening to a Michigan podcast ran by the Michigan 24/7 guy Sam Webb on his radio show. He does a roundtable with analytic guys and others who cover Michigan athletics. During the conversation on basketball today they were all in agreement that Archie will be getting fired. They do not think he is good enough. One of the guys, founder of the largest Michigan fan site, has a fear that Archie will get fired and we land Beilien. Found it interesting that all 4 members of the round table were in agreement that Archie’s days are numbered and they don’t view him in that high of esteem. 

FYI. They do have issues with defense under Howard, so they are generally fair in their assessments. 

He just appears in over his head here. Sometimes a guy can get by with it for a while if he surrounds himself with really good assistants but Archie hasnt even done that.

8 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

He just appears in over his head here. Sometimes a guy can get by with it for a while if he surrounds himself with really good assistants but Archie hasnt even done that.

His system doesn’t work in a league where fouls aren’t called. His offense does draw some contact but the majority isn’t called unless we are at home. 

His defense when it’s not operating at 100% efficiency is too easy to break down.  Most systems you can hide a bad defender not the packline. 

If he showed a willingness to change and grow I would probably be saying give him another year. But dude is going to die on this hill that his system is right. 

Maybe if our league wasn’t a joke with officiating it could work but that ain’t happening anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

So we have 7 more home games. The students will be there for the rest of them, so that helps home court advantage. We win those 7 games and there are our 20 wins. Will it happen? Who knows. I'm trying to hold off my judgment on Archie until after this season is over. 

At this point I think it's more likely we drop a home game than steal one on the road. I could even see us losing 2-3 home games and going 0-fer on the road. 

Question: How different would this team be if we had one or two shooters on the team? It’s a simple fix at least (at least so I thought).  If he actually brought them in and we keep Davis, would that be a great team? If no, perhaps we do need to make a change.  

7 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

Question: How different would this team be if we had one or two shooters on the team? It’s a simple fix at least (at least so I thought).  If he actually brought them in and we keep Davis, would that be a great team? If no, perhaps we do need to make a change.  

Not  a great team but it wouldnt take much from a shooting standpoint to win a game like last night.

Hard to say. Offense is clunky in general. Maybe hitting shots would open things up. Probably it would. Rarely see back cuts. It’s just a bunch of pick and rolls with some ball reversals. Throw in a few post feeds here and there. That’s Archies offense. What hurts as much as not having shooters is that our PGs aren’t great playmakers. None of them, this includes Rob.

Who on our team can break someone down off the dribble? Hmm also no one.

That’s our roster Archie has created.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app