Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

25 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Anderson committing before Henry is another one of those what could have beens that is killing me. Henry shooting 50% from FG and almost 40% from 3pt range. I think we all expected more from Anderson at this point....

There’s no guarantee Henry would be that good here. This is a staff that takes good shooters and ruins them. Fitzner for example. 

15 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

There’s no guarantee Henry would be that good here. This is a staff that takes good shooters and ruins them. Fitzner for example. 

Fizner wasn't a BIG caliber player, Henry is. No doubt that Henry would be more of a contributor than Anderson. Anderson has proven since the second he stepped on campus that he wants to be a 3 and D guy. Problem is he can't get the 3 to go down. 

1 minute ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Fizner wasn't a BIG caliber player, Henry is. No doubt that Henry would be more of a contributor than Anderson. Anderson has proven since the second he stepped on campus that he wants to be a 3 and D guy. Problem is he can't get the 3 to go down. 

Fitzner was a shooter before he came here. After this staff he couldn’t hit a wide open 3

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Fitzner was a shooter before he came here. After this staff he couldn’t hit a wide open 3

Not sure if that is Archie or just not having the right guys to space the floor and get guys the ball in the right spots. To me, possibly some coaching but also personnel. That personnel piece is still a big problem this yr. 

16 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Not sure if that is Archie or just not having the right guys to space the floor and get guys the ball in the right spots. To me, possibly some coaching but also personnel. That personnel piece is still a big problem this yr. 

But in the end, it is Archie. He is also responsible for the personnel.

Right, so I think what USPS is saying what will it take for you to stop watching, stop coming on here, stop everything with IU basketball?

Nothing. I’m still a born and raised diehard fan who will raise my kids to be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

There are still people coming into this thread with "unbridled negativity" in the title to try and give people crap for being negative. Am I the only that sees this as being completely asinine?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

There are still people coming into this thread with "unbridled negativity" in the title to try and give people crap for being negative. Am I the only that sees this as being completely asinine?

If you don't have unbridled negativity in this thread ... you're off-topic!  ;)

Sometimes I do wonder if the same people defending Archie until death are the same who didn’t want to see Crean fired.

Anderson committing before Henry is another one of those what could have beens that is killing me. Henry shooting 50% from FG and almost 40% from 3pt range. I think we all expected more from Anderson at this point....
This is a fair point but at some point we have to wonder if archie is the reason or his scheme for these guys struggling so much. It is becoming a pattern imo. I would have loved for james Blackmon to stayed a year to play for archie to see if he shot the ball as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

If you don't have unbridled negativity in this thread ... you're off-topic!  ;)

I know your comment is in jest but I mean it would be the equivalent of going into the WBB thread and telling people they should stop discussing WBB.

This is a fair point but at some point we have to wonder if archie is the reason or his scheme for these guys struggling so much. It is becoming a pattern imo. I would have loved for james Blackmon to stayed a year to play for archie to see if he shot the ball as well.

I think it’s odd no matter what that people think Archie will magically coach a really good offense just because of some shooters. He never coached a good offense at Dayton. And we can’t expect 3 freshman to fix all of our shooting problems. Which contradicts what so many here want. They want to get old and stay old but then expect freshman to fix all the problems.

3 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

I know your comment is in jest but I mean it would be the equivalent of going into the WBB thread and telling people they should stop discussing WBB.

Only a little in jest.

This is the primary place to express gloom, doom, and doubt. If you’re gonna pump sunshine this is not the right thread!

I think it’s odd no matter what that people think Archie will magically coach a really good offense just because of some shooters. He never coached a good offense at Dayton. And we can’t expect 3 freshman to fix all of our shooting problems. Which contradicts what so many here want. They want to get old and stay old but then expect freshman to fix all the problems.

Yep. Crean could coach up some kids to shoot the ball good but had no defense and also bad offense. The only thing we had was a bunch of sharp shooters which will work sometimes but not often enough. I think some of these guys should be able to shoot that we have now. Smith probably made more 3 his freshman year or last year than he has hos junior season

31 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Hard to argue with this. We're yet to see any good/consistent shooting within this offense or from any of the 14-15 guys that have played for Archie over these 3 years. Heck even Romeo couldn't shoot worth a lick. 

Sometimes I do wonder if the same people defending Archie until death are the same who didn’t want to see Crean fired.

Same ones that defended Crean until the bitter end. That last season was a monsoon that swept up the most ardent supporters of Crean.

Next year is Archie’s last chance or else he will suffer the same fate.

I’m a diehard, and will always be but Archie’s version of Indiana basketball isn’t fun. It’s predictable. Even the wins are generally ugly.

I’d like to see Archie with a bunch of 5 stars to see if he could coach fun basketball to watch. I’m starting to doubt everything.

6 hours ago, triple said:

I'd say that's technically correct, but I'd add two qualifiers.  Regarding our defense, when Rutgers scored they did so with relative ease.  We played well for much of the shot clock in any given stance until we didn't, and then they feasted.  Regarding our offense, there were too many possessions without any movement inside the three point line. As a result we rarely feasted.  I'd give their coaching staff an A for that game, and ours an F.  Which is all the more frustrating given that a win was within the reach of a few made threes. 

I'm trying to wrap my hands around the logic of "when they scored, they did so with ease" as used to qualify something.  Almost every team gets a few easy buckets in every game.  Defense is not measured possession by possession, and even if it is, all 3 teams made some tough, contested shots also.   And points allowed over a 3 game is not a technicality.  It's a simple fact.   

Our offense is bad.  No argument.  We can't shoot, and we don't really have a back to the basket player except Brunk.  The roster is imperfect. Absolutely no argument, but the overall point "we played well enough defensively to win" stands as called.

I was listening to a Michigan podcast ran by the Michigan 24/7 guy Sam Webb on his radio show. He does a roundtable with analytic guys and others who cover Michigan athletics. During the conversation on basketball today they were all in agreement that Archie will be getting fired. They do not think he is good enough. One of the guys, founder of the largest Michigan fan site, has a fear that Archie will get fired and we land Beilien. Found it interesting that all 4 members of the round table were in agreement that Archie’s days are numbered and they don’t view him in that high of esteem. 

FYI. They do have issues with defense under Howard, so they are generally fair in their assessments. 

I’ve wanted so bad to like Archie and for him to be the guy, but there are just too many red flags that refuse to go away. I also thought it was really telling reading that article (can’t remember when it was released, maybe someone can find it) asking opinions of coaches in the conference anonymously, and Archie was mentioned as one of 2-3 coaches that were easiest to gameplan against/that other coaches wanted to stay at their schools.