Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

35 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Of all the things about which to criticize Archie -- and there are plenty -- we're gonna fuss about gum? Really? That's like Crean with the clapping. To me, it's just very silly and trite. 

You guys take yourselves way too seriously.  

And the pack line is a form of man to man, biggest difference is off ball defenders play closer to the biggest to congest the inside; that can leave some susceptibility to deep shots but those are lower percentage.  There's no one way to win at this level and multiple coaches run a pack line with success; the pack line philosophy isn't the problem, what we do within it is (over helping, over headging).

The over helping and over hedging are clearly what Archie have taught. Seems they need to go back to do the shell drill for a day. Because it obviously not working.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Those things definitely need to change, just leaves us out of position.

It’s strange though because I’ve seen times the big hedges, while the ball side corner defender tags the rolling big, and gets back to defend beautifully. More often than not the big hedges to mid court (exaggerating a bit) and we get burnt with either a layup or wide of three.

I’d prefer the big dropping back and the guard going under the screen when the ball is 30’ from the basket. A little closer I’d like to see a hedge to string it out then a quick recovery.

We need smarter decisions on defense too. One instance from last night was a guard and Joey defending the pick and roll. TJD down in the lane. TJD was defending one a straight line behind Brunk. If Brunk is there with his arms up (he was) a pass from the guard to the paint is going to be easy. A pass around Brunk to the other side of the lane is easier. That’s what we need to take away but instead we gave up that angle. You don’t need crazy athleticism to defend that but need court sense and experience.

That's painting all coaches with a very broad brush.  There are some out there that would love to coach at a place like Indiana.  Especially if we open up the checkbook.  There is optimism out there.  We're still a destination program.  We just need to flush this turd first

This is not meant as a personal shot, strictly curiosity as to your opinion. But, people keep saying if we open the check book we can get whoever we want. I’m honestly just curious who you truly think we can get? I don’t know if I’ve seen anyone mention a realistic name other than Beard. I’m afraid many of the coaches we want already make the money you talk or the program they’re currently at will match to keep them because that’s the level coach we want and so will their current program. As far as beard, he’s a good coach, I think it’s a little early to go all in on him. Hindsight is 20/20, before his deep run he was somewhat considered to be the same level as Archie (a younger up and comer, remember Archie was a top name being thrown out to go somewhere big not just for IU).

Again, just curious as to some people’s realistic thoughts on who they think we could actually get.

11 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

This is not meant as a personal shot, strictly curiosity as to your opinion. But, people keep saying if we open the check book we can get whoever we want. I’m honestly just curious who you truly think we can get? I don’t know if I’ve seen anyone mention a realistic name other than Beard. I’m afraid many of the coaches we want already make the money you talk or the program they’re currently at will match to keep them because that’s the level coach we want and so will their current program. As far as beard, he’s a good coach, I think it’s a little early to go all in on him. Hindsight is 20/20, before his deep run he was somewhat considered to be the same level as Archie (a younger up and comer, remember Archie was a top name being thrown out to go somewhere big not just for IU).

Again, just curious as to some people’s realistic thoughts on who they think we could actually get.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned about Beard is that Texas Tech is building a brand new 30 million dollar practice facility that will also be used for other things. Reading about it will blow Cook Hall out of the water. Beard is also from Texas, so leaving there I think would be a long shot. 

I think you may be right. We may have to break the checkbook to get someone. Didn’t OSU have to do something similar to get Holtmann?

If Archie is not going to work out and we cannot really pry away someone because we don’t want to break the checkbook then you might have to look at some guys like Bruce Pearl.

Gum is fine losing is not. Its creans diet coke. Were pissed cause the team is playing like crap so archie blowing bubbles or crean hiking his pants up makes us angry . Davis smiling on the sideline while were getting our ***** kicked. I dont have one for bob or Sampson though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Gum is fine losing is not. Its creans diet coke. Were pissed cause the team is playing like crap so archie blowing bubbles or crean hiking his pants up makes us angry . Davis smiling on the sideline while were getting our ***** kicked. I dont have one for bob or Sampson though.

For RMK?  ... "defecating in the middle of the locker room floor at halftime is fine, but"

I think you may be right. We may have to break the checkbook to get someone. Didn’t OSU have to do something similar to get Holtmann?

If Archie is not going to work out and we cannot really pry away someone because we don’t want to break the checkbook then you might have to look at some guys like Bruce Pearl.

I would love to throw some money at Pearl and get him, however with his history I don’t think IU goes for a coach like that (which sucks because those are the types of coaches we need) and second because of his history with the B1G I don’t see him coming back to the conference in general. Would love to have him though, guy brings a ton of energy and wins everywhere he goes.

2 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

I always just worried those two were going to have heart attacks 

Point is I an a archie fan I think he can still be great here but it can't be denied we are in a pattern of terrible play. Last night was inexcusable and scares me for what may come if he dont address things today and tomorrow. Last season was a crap show. I thought this thread was premature but last night cemented it. We looked like a team who needed a new coach and were giving up till 7 to go. Recruiting inside out and getting Romeo and tjd is a big deal. The only problem I see is on the court and I know north western is a big 10 team but I an confident we are playing worse now than 8 games ago and that cant be. last year archie without doubt had our guys playing the best at the end of the big ten so there is hope but we are garbage right now. We dont pass the eye test at all and that usually dont end well based on my experience