Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

I'm not getting off the Archie train. If our program is to be successful long-term, Archie MUST get us back on the tracks. A new coach will only make it harder. As others pointed out, the super duper coaches don't want to be put in the firing line of our fans. That means the only thing we would hope for (with a new coach) is a diamond in the rough and i don't want to keep kicking rocks to find one. We have a coach that has the potential and in my opinion, we need to give him as much support as possible to assist him in finding out how to motivate and adjust to win games. I don't know what is going on with this team. I don't know how to fix it because i'm not seeing the whole picture (behind the scenes and in practice) only CAM and i have enough faith that he has had enough (like us) of being Mr. Nice guy and is going to bring down scunyon on the team to wake them up.
Yes, i'm pissed at the way we play. Yes, I'm pissed that it our players cant shoot worth a purdue-person. But the potential is there and it's up to CAM to figure out how to bring that to the game. He must do it.....and now.

It’s year 3 under Archie. The offensive scheme hasn’t changed a single bit and it’s still absolutely awful. The defense still can’t defend well enough. He still can’t get everyone to buy and yet he still plays those players. He’s screwing himself. Plain and simple. Archie is the reason Archie isn’t successful at Indiana so far. It’s on him now. Offense sucks. Defense isn’t good. Development isn’t good. Shooting sucks. He has massive flaws and he hasn’t changed a single thing. That’s why he won’t be successful here. He keeps talking like he will change things, but Crean did the same, and in 9 years nothing changed. He still wasn’t good enough. And Archie isn’t even near the level of a coach Crean was yet. Archie has an insane amount of work still to do with just himself and he better get on it really quick. As in like today. He just needs to throw away basically everything in his philosophies and start over. Simple man to man defense that plays the passing lanes some more(works just fine for a ton of other teams) and a quick moving(ball and player movement) that utilizes drives, backcuts, slashes, postups. He will need a full on overhaul of his coaching. Because what he’s doing is very clearly not good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It’s year 3 under Archie. The offensive scheme hasn’t changed a single bit and it’s still absolutely awful. The defense still can’t defend well enough. He still can’t get everyone to buy and yet he still plays those players. He’s screwing himself. Plain and simple. Archie is the reason Archie isn’t successful at Indiana so far. It’s on him now. Offense sucks. Defense isn’t good. Development isn’t good. Shooting sucks. He has massive flaws and he hasn’t changed a single thing. That’s why he won’t be successful here. He keeps talking like he will change things, but Crean did the same, and in 9 years nothing changed. He still wasn’t good enough. And Archie isn’t even near the level of a coach Crean was yet. Archie has an insane amount of work still to do with just himself and he better get on it really quick. As in like today. He just needs to throw away basically everything in his philosophies and start over. Simple man to man defense that plays the passing lanes some more(works just fine for a ton of other teams) and a quick moving(ball and player movement) that utilizes drives, backcuts, slashes, postups. He will need a full on overhaul of his coaching. Because what he’s doing is very clearly not good enough.

Teams make the pack line defense work well too, Virginia just won a title with it.  He needs to change some things but he doesn't need to scrap the entire defensive philosophy.

5 hours ago, ALASKA HOOSIER said:

I'm not getting off the Archie train. If our program is to be successful long-term, Archie MUST get us back on the tracks. A new coach will only make it harder. As others pointed out, the super duper coaches don't want to be put in the firing line of our fans. That means the only thing we would hope for (with a new coach) is a diamond in the rough and i don't want to keep kicking rocks to find one. We have a coach that has the potential and in my opinion, we need to give him as much support as possible to assist him in finding out how to motivate and adjust to win games. I don't know what is going on with this team. I don't know how to fix it because i'm not seeing the whole picture (behind the scenes and in practice) only CAM and i have enough faith that he has had enough (like us) of being Mr. Nice guy and is going to bring down scunyon on the team to wake them up.

Yes, i'm pissed at the way we play. Yes, I'm pissed that it our players cant shoot worth a purdue-person. But the potential is there and it's up to CAM to figure out how to bring that to the game. He must do it.....and now.

That's painting all coaches with a very broad brush.  There are some out there that would love to coach at a place like Indiana.  Especially if we open up the checkbook.  There is optimism out there.  We're still a destination program.  We just need to flush this turd first

Teams make the pack line defense work well too, Virginia just won a title with it.  He needs to change some things but he doesn't need to scrap the entire defensive philosophy.

One team has done it. A team that plays exclusively zone has won it all too. Everyone else though? Basic man to man(I think).

45 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

12-3 baby, wasn't pretty but a W. Seems like we learned something the last 10 minutes of the game. I loved the quotes after the game too. Just keep finding a way to win at home and steal one on the road. I'm guessing Rob, Al, Justin, TJD, and Joey get a lot of minutes against OSU. Green will get a small shot to redeem himself, Race, Hunter also get some minutes probably along with Franklin. 

I was only able to watch roughly the last 15 minutes but I gather everything before that, and up until the 10 minute mark was uninspiring. I'll count that last 10 minutes as a temporary season saver and an opportunity to build off of something. Will it happen? Ehhhhh. I'll remain hopeful. I'm happy to hear the rotation will tighten up. Let some guys get into a rhythm and a few more know their role off the bench. 

I love this. Tell me this guy doesn't want to win or maybe he was giving a message to some people.
9603837.gif?width=600%26fit=bounds&key=31fab2e6963aba9e3d4240b4b626745aa303a1675327e11ea9ec534f9d4d1ca3

I saw this on the broadcast and figured it would end up on here before too long. I was cracking up.

He was trying to tell someone that TJD was hooked and held. It was great.

I don't think the schemes, offensive or defensive, are the problem. There is no one one way to be successful in college basketball. The difference between those who are and those who aren't usually comes down to execution. We just don't execute very well. Admittedly, it's clearly the coach's job to get the effort and execution to the level it needs to be. Over time, this will work itself out one way or the other.

A lot of coaches run some form of pack line.  Including Sean Miller, Chris Mack, and Tom Izzo.

A form. And forms that have been successful. Those coaches, including his own brother, getting a little more effort out of guys as well. But they still really just run basic man to man defense. Because that’s really all you need.

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

A form. And forms that have been successful. Those coaches, including his own brother, getting a little more effort out of guys as well. But they still really just run basic man to man defense. Because that’s really all you need.

And the pack line is a form of man to man, biggest difference is off ball defenders play closer to the biggest to congest the inside; that can leave some susceptibility to deep shots but those are lower percentage.  There's no one way to win at this level and multiple coaches run a pack line with success; the pack line philosophy isn't the problem, what we do within it is (over helping, over headging).