Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

1 hour ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

No. We have three starters (Green, Smith and Durham) and Davis off the bench.

Archie’s good Dayton teams featured a roster full of 6-8ish athletic bruisers who could run the floor, rebound and pass. They had high motors who would suffocate opponents on defense.

We don’t have that roster and Archie has no clue how to make the roster he has play at a high level. It’s a team full of young guys who don’t know what they are doing and upperclassmen who are a group of soft, lazy b*tches who get in their own feelings any time things aren’t going perfectly for them. 

Smith and Durham have never been coached by Crean. Archie re-recruited those guys and as bad as it is we’d be far worse off without them. It’s not isolated to you but at what point do we stop pointing the finger at Crean and await for Miller to start taking responsibility for this mess. This is bad no way you slice it and awaiting 2 more years for those guys you mentioned to graduate I’m not confident it will get any better, in fact I think it could get far worse as recruiting will slide if it already hasn’t.

For conversation's sake, this is the buyout per ITH; its not as egregious as the Crean contract was.

archie.thumb.png.4d606fc93704687d0fc5f9f4569d510d.png

IMO, the new AD is probably gonna give Archie 1 more year to right the ship; whether its through straightening up the current/incoming roster and/or changing an assistant or two to either bring in impact recruits or fix the ineptness of our play. That seems to be the part and parcel of new AD's to a Power 5 university concerning the basketball and football programs.

13 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

As it should be. Kentucky didn’t settle for a mid major coach after firing Gillespie. Neither did UNC after firing Dougherty. Either IU wants to be a blueblood or not.

Going back to the last few years of Knight, and continuing through today, I don't think the administration does. They want respectable and clearly secondary to other interests.

7 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Smith and Durham have never been coached by Crean. Archie re-recruited those guys and as bad as it is we’d be far worse off without them. It’s not isolated to you but at what point do we stop pointing the finger at Crean and await for Miller to start taking responsibility for this mess. This is bad no way you slice it and awaiting 2 more years for those guys you mentioned to graduate I’m not confident it will get any better, in fact I think it could get far worse as recruiting will slide if it already hasn’t.

I think we’re past the point of blaming Crean, but the question then becomes how far along are “Archie’s guys” that he can be reasonably held accountable for every player on the roster. Phinisee (when he’s healthy) and Franklin I think are most indicative of the type of players Archie wants to build his program around, but there’s not much beyond that right now to feel comfortable about. Who knows how long Jackson-Davis will stay and Hunter is far from being who we keep hearing he’s capable of being when ready. Anderson and Thompson play hard but they are just so limited offensively. 

Looking at “Crean guys”, Davis is about done. He’s a bigger version of Tom Pritchard at this point. Green is who he is, Durham is the fourth option at guard on any competent team, and Smith has shown zero desire to lead or develop into anything other than an occasional slasher who shows up when he feels like it. I was really hoping he’d turn into a poor man’s Justin Jackson but he’s not even a poor man’s Troy Williams right now. He’s halfway though his junior year and if he was going to be more than what he currently is I think we’d have seen it by now.

If Trace comes back, which I think he will, we should have a decent front court next year with him and Brunk, but that’s just for one year. That’s going to be a major hole for us in two years regardless of who is coach unless we add someone to this year’s class. We need shooters and we need better guards. Rob has shown promise but he’s been injured and just seems “off” right now. What I would do for two Nick Zeislofts right now...

3 hours ago, HoosierTrav said:

If we really are being handcuffed by our administration, then it won’t matter who we bring in here. They won’t be able to recruit the talent needed to match our tremendous expectations and compete in the B1G, a perennial top 2 league in the nation.

Exactly. Archie isn't the problem here people. 

Exactly. Archie isn't the problem here people. 
He's one of them. The administration isn't holding back player development, substitution patterns, lack of shooters or at least progression in shooters. He's absolutely to blame. Now he may not be the only one but to say his coaching is blameless for what we're watching is absurd. You're ok with what you're watching out there?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

https://indianahq.com/iu-basketball-full-walkthrough-of-indiana-hoosiers-apartments-pictures/

In case anyone wants to see the slums half our team has to endure along with their brand new locker room and lounge donated by Zeller and VO. But what will they eat with a full meal plan and cash stipend???

Now go look where Kansas and Kentucky players live. Go look at UNC’s or even Nebraska’s players’ lounges and locker rooms. IU does not stick out in any way compared to a lot of programs.

8 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Now go look where Kansas and Kentucky players live. Go look at UNC’s or even Nebraska’s players’ lounges and locker rooms. IU does not stick out in any way compared to a lot of programs.

I think the IU basketball players all live at the Evolve apartment complex next to the stadium, which is really nice. Before that the freshmen were in ordinary dorms though, so that's another change Archie had to make. He had to have been completely shocked to see a blue blood basketball program with such terrible facilities when he showed up a few years ago.

I am obviously on board the fire Archie train. The next coach? I don't want a saint, a good talker, or any other non-essential quality to coaching guy. I want a basketball coach that will do anything it takes to win

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Pitino. IU and him are reclamation projects. We haven’t been a great program since the 90s.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, Iugradman said:

Players’ lounge, post practice meals, adequate student athlete housing- basic stuff that any program not run by morons would have.

I appreciate your post.  Not sure why you're getting attacked and people are choosing to be obnoxious and ignorant of the point you're making.