Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

johnsoniu

Game Thread- Gator Bowl IU vs Tennessee Jan 2, 7 pm EST ESPN

Zach Osterman made the best point I have ever heard on Matt Denison's show when it comes to Football and maintaining this. 

He compared the experience of the Gator Bowl to when IU baseball went to Florida St. in baseball for the Super Regional prior to College World Series. He said it caused IU to see what top baseball programs 'behave' like with commitment and it caused IU to make many of those changes to become that. He said things like IU adding a director of opp and additional staff and continued improvements to Bart Kaufman Field are just some of the examples. As a result, IU while not getting back to the College World Series saw these commitments to the program and they have made us the premier program in the conference for the most part and a constant tournament team since after rarely being one prior to that. I often compare IU baseball to Butler basketball with their rise and Butler made some investments as well that has kept them a step up and stayed there.      

My fear is whether IU football is like Northwestern basketball a few yrs ago and the second they had success they fell apart. If IU does not want that to happen in football it needs to invest more in the program and take lessons from the Gator Bowl on what better teams do if we want to continue to step it up much like IU baseball did when it went to Florida St.

I know people like to pan on the administration but it certainly stepped up to bat (pardon the pun) to give baseball everything it needs to succeed and hopefully with football it will do the same now and we can maintain this. The upping of Tom Allen and assistant salaries is a great first step and now we need to keep investing to keep this going. 

3 hours ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

For what it's worth I saw the official attendance was announced at ~61,800. I also spent my Saturday night rewatching the game on DVR and properly pouting. I mostly wanted to see what the cameras were showing, but then got sucked in to wanting to see how so many things played out on TV vs. seeing it live. Surprise...the cameras focused a LOT on the UT crowd. But the glimpses I saw confirmed my in person feeling. I'm very confident saying we had at least 20,000 of that. Probably in the 22-23K range. A very solid showing for IU football in my opinion. 

Side notes: it also happened to be the 2nd highest attended and 4th most watched non-NY6 bowl. Great overall exposure. 

Section 242 was rocking I might add.....rowdy! 

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

From Mike Miller - Per public records request filed through Indiana University, here's the breakdown of expenses (and payout) for IU's Gator Bowl trip.  We incurred a $44,000 deficit for the event.

ImageFrom 

Would we have been in the green had we not choked 

4 hours ago, upperarlington said:

Seems like $337,000 for meals is a bit high. Wow.

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That doesn't seem high at all to me.  

I have a special "insider" video for you of the manner and items served in Jacksonville for the IU food spread:

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I have a special "insider" video for you of the manner and items served in Jacksonville for the IU food spread:

We do understand how much a D1 football player eats right? And coaches and staff.  

That's so much food. 

5 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Nearly a quarter of a million dollars for uniforms? For one game? 

Apparel is a part of that too. Mountains upon mountains of apparel for players, coaches, staff, administration, families, donors, etc. Everyone wants bowl gear and everyone gets it.