Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

johnsoniu

Game Thread- Gator Bowl IU vs Tennessee Jan 2, 7 pm EST ESPN

38 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I just don't understand why they didn't have an additional guy or two on the front line of the onside kick. I know UT wasn't lined up for the onside kick. But this  was a bowl game. Expect the unexpected. Terrible special teams play. I was screaming at the TV when I saw them line up. The glaring hole up the middle. Momentum moving in UTs favor. That's when I knew it was over. That is on the coaching staff. 

The morning after and it still chaps my @$$. Lol

Is an onside kick when the other team is down 6 with 4 minutes to play really that unexpected? It's not like they did it coming out of the half. It's something the staff should've at least had in the back of their mind. No idea why they were so caught off guard. 

"Tennessee’s roster was built largely on classes ranked 13, 21, 17 and 14 nationally, from 2016-19. The Hoosiers’ numbers in that span: 36, 50, 52 and 63."

This quote for an IndyStar article this morning should tell us everything we need to know about what needs to change for us to consistently complete/win these games. I get that ratings aren't everything, but that is a significant four year discrepancy in talent. Not sure how we do it, talent and depth of talent has to improve to take the next step.

Allen is a classic example of a leader with anxiety issues. Under pressure situations he second guesses himself and his team. See the timeout on the TD run and the Justus kick. Other times he is totally unprepared. See the onside kick and the offense coming out of a dead ball and not getting the play off in time. These issues will trickle down from the head guy.

4 minutes ago, cthomas said:

"Tennessee’s roster was built largely on classes ranked 13, 21, 17 and 14 nationally, from 2016-19. The Hoosiers’ numbers in that span: 36, 50, 52 and 63."

This quote for an IndyStar article this morning should tell us everything we need to know about what needs to change for us to consistently complete/win these games. I get that ratings aren't everything, but that is a significant four year discrepancy in talent. Not sure how we do it, talent and depth of talent has to improve to take the next step.

Talent wasnt the reason we lost that game

Woke up this morning thinking this all may have been a bad dream since I was in a bit of a haze. It sadly wasn’t.

Listen I don’t really watch football and I saw that onside kick coming. I said it to my fiancée before it happened. How do I, someone who watches maybe 2 games a year, know it’s gonna happen and a highly paid coach who used to be in special teams does not? That’s insanity.

14 hours ago, IUfan_Charlie said:

We beat who we were supposed to and nothing more. Not great. Lost to every good team and choked the bowl game

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Ok. Let’s burn it all down. Fire the coach. Fire everyone. Call Urban Meyer.....better yet, lets resurrect Vince Lombardi! I’m sure one of the great coaches are just itching to come turn around one of the worst college football programs in the history of college football. They’ll love coaching Saturday’s in a near empty stadium, even when the team is winning. 

It was a great season in the sense that we normally don’t even sniff a bowl game unless we are closer to .500. We usually lose to teams we should beat but this year we didn’t. We nearly beat MSU and Penn State at their buildings, if it weren’t for some costly mistakes and AWFUL officiating (yeah I’m gonna go there). 

we made the gator bowl and if it weren’t for us shitting our pants down the stretch, we win the gator bowl. Plenty of things to be upset about but far more reasons to celebrate this season and be excited about next year. You can choose to only see the negatives. That’s fine by me. 

My takeaway from last night is simply this. I don’t mind getting beat, but I really dislike the team I root so hard for to consistently beat themselves. That’s what IU and Tom Allen are at this point. We still only recruit in the bottom third of the conference which leads to lack of depth. We play kids before they are physically ready because they are the more talented player, which leads to injury. To make things worse, our coaching staff acts way in over their heads, as if the real HC got tossed by the refs and the football equivalent to Shooter from Hoosiers is tasked with leading the team. 

Allen has a TON of work to do in the offseason (Hiring a solid OC and recruiting large OL/DL holes on the roster) to keep this program at present even and even more work next year to grow it to a relevant level. Hopefully he has a network of solid coaches he can rely on to help him through his clock management and in game adjustment/awareness issues. Time will tell and I’m certainly rooting for him that he will.  

1 minute ago, mamasa said:

This is pretty much where I'm trying to be. I get more worked up by asinine and irrational posts than I do the outcome of the games. Sports are entertainment, and entertainment is meant to be enjoyable! Why watch game after game, sport after sport, when all it does is cause you misery?  I have gotten much more "middle" on my reactions over the years (my freshman year, I kinda ripped the drinking fountain out of the wall after losing to Illinois)

I hear you. If you were to go back at some of my first posts on this site, I was miserable. Fighting with anyone who didn’t have their pitchforks out with me. I was in my 20’s with 0 children when I first started posting. Now I have 3 kids and a growing business. Indiana U. athletics are now at the very bottom of the totem pole, in regards to what gets to take up space and potentially disrupt my happiness. An 8-5 Season, with a gator bowl appearance and close 1 pt loss, is not enough to upset me. In fact, it does the opposite. I haven’t looked forward to the next football season EVER! Now I am........ I will admit though, Archie and the basketball program have gotten my heart rate elevated at times but that’s a conversation for another thread more deserving of the misery.

I hear you. If you were to go back at some of my first posts on this site, I was miserable. Fighting with anyone who didn’t have their pitchforks out with me. I was in my 20’s with 0 children when I first started posting. Now I have 3 kids and a growing business. Indiana U. athletics are now at the very bottom of the totem pole, in regards to what gets to take up space and potentially disrupt my happiness. An 8-5 Season, with a gator bowl appearance and close 1 pt loss, is not enough to upset me. In fact, it does the opposite. I haven’t looked forward to the next football season EVER! Now I am........ I will admit though, Archie and the basketball program have gotten my heart rate elevated at times but that’s a conversation for another thread more deserving of the misery.

I was proud of Indiana Football this season for the first time ever, maybe. Did we luck into a nice schedule then take care of business? Maybe, but I like the passion and what I see as progress.

Admittedly my expectations are higher for basketball and Archie isn’t coming close to fulfilling them on or off the court. I’m about fed up.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

14 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Agree.  What gets to me is that I think that there is a certain segment on here that are still making the posts you made in your 20s but they are in their 50s.  No one is forcing anyone to do something that makes them miserable.....and there is zero reason to try to force your miserableness on others.

I've made a promise that I won't let this stuff get me down anymore. It's just sports. I'm not on the team, I don't know anyone personally on the team or working for the team, I am a 35 year old guy that lives in the Bermuda Triangle of basketball AKA the Kentuckiana area, and I sell vinyl records for a living. I put a lot into Yogi's last season and that left me absolutely drained for the last few years. 

Although I'm an alumni, I still don't really have a stake in what happens to a bunch of 18-22 year old kids who are soon to be born after I graduated high school. I do hate to see my alma mater get embarrassed and fail pretty consistently, and it doesn't help that I have UL and pUKe fans on either side of me laughing like it's something I failed at personally, but I'm with all you levelheaded ones here...IU athletics is low on the priorities totem pole.

2 hours ago, HoosierTrav said:

Ok. Let’s burn it all down. Fire the coach. Fire everyone. Call Urban Meyer.....better yet, lets resurrect Vince Lombardi! I’m sure one of the great coaches are just itching to come turn around one of the worst college football programs in the history of college football. They’ll love coaching Saturday’s in a near empty stadium, even when the team is winning. 

It was a great season in the sense that we normally don’t even sniff a bowl game unless we are closer to .500. We usually lose to teams we should beat but this year we didn’t. We nearly beat MSU and Penn State at their buildings, if it weren’t for some costly mistakes and AWFUL officiating (yeah I’m gonna go there). 

we made the gator bowl and if it weren’t for us shitting our pants down the stretch, we win the gator bowl. Plenty of things to be upset about but far more reasons to celebrate this season and be excited about next year. You can choose to only see the negatives. That’s fine by me. 

His post was right after we blew the game. I really don't get this trend of policing people's opinions after losses like this and going to the extreme. Oh he's pissed we blew the game after being up 13 late in the fourth? He must want to tear everything down!

It's silly. Sometimes people are just blowing off steam. The hours following a complete debacle of a finish is a time when people are going to be pissed off and irrational. That poster isn't even someone who complains a lot. People aren't going to immediately see the bright side of things right after we lose a game the way we did last night. 

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

His post was right after we blew the game. I really don't get this trend of policing people's opinions after losses like this and going to the extreme. Oh he's pissed we blew the game after being up 13 late in the fourth? He must want to tear everything down!

It's silly. Sometimes people are just blowing off steam. The hours following a complete debacle of a finish is a time when people are going to be pissed off and irrational. That poster isn't even someone who complains a lot. People aren't going to immediately see the bright side of things right after we lose a game the way we did last night. 

His original post was in response to my post saying it was a great season. Next time I’ll tuck my tail and let him have the last word. Will that make you feel ok? 

14 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

His original post was in response to my post saying it was a great season. Next time I’ll tuck my tail and let him have the last word. Will that make you feel ok? 

Do what you want. Sure, it was a great season by IU standards. That's not what is going to be on people's minds right after we completely blow a bowl game because of horrible coaching decisions. 

24 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Do what you want. Sure, it was a great season by IU standards. That's not what is going to be on people's minds right after we completely blow a bowl game because of horrible coaching decisions. 

Have a great weekend brother.

I get it that coaches are paid millions to make the right call and keep a level head. With that said, it’s funny to see fans lose their mind and be “irrational” when their teams coach loses their mind.

A big lesson for the coaches this offseason... get smart and develop a better feel for the game. There were three losses that could have been huge wins if the coaches would have navigated the end of games a bit better.

I’m still extremely proud of this team and coaching staff this season. I’d love for this program to have a floor of 6 regular season wins.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

16 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

It's just strange. Yesterday I made a post slamming Purdue, without even mentioning Purdue, and you found it within minutes. 

I'm not hating, I just think it's weird that someone would have so much time to spend on a rival's message board trying to argue with people who aren't even really looking for arguments. 

Edit: LOL, guess you didn't hit the delete button fast enough. Better luck tomorrow, sport. 

Lol, I'd like to imagine he runs some program on his computer that alerts him about Purdue being slammed on IU boards that he posts on.