Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

johnsoniu

Game Thread- Gator Bowl IU vs Tennessee Jan 2, 7 pm EST ESPN

This game in a nutshell makes no difference. 8-5 or 9-4 makes no difference and its still the best season in 25 yrs. Its a disappointing loss but changes our trajectory very little. 

What I worry about is if we can sustain this? I have seen to many examples of a historically bad teams bubble up briefly only to not sustain it and with the clock management issues I see I am more worried.

If we can sustain this and make another bowl next year (and 7 wins should be a minimum starting point given easy schedule) this should be forgotten. I have just seen to many examples of teams returning everyone from a historic good season and fall off the face of the earth and not handle success (17-18 NW basketball and 14-15 Neb basketball come to mind as does PU in football this year). 

1 minute ago, Old Friend said:

I don't put the onside kick on him.  That was a great call by Tennessee.  If anything, it's on our special teams coach.  Sometimes, teams make great calls.  That was one.   The clock management?  Absolutely on Allen.

To be completely caught off guard and surprised as a team at an onside kick when you are up in the 4th quarter....it shouldn't have been that shocking. Team wasn't ready at all. 

Allen needs to grow as a coach. Yes it wasn't good tonight but overall I agree the program is heading in the right direction. Sustainable success is what is needed now and he must learn from his mistakes if he wishes to achieve that. To me what's really upsetting is that the better team is suppose to win right? That wasn't the case in this one

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

Agree.  Think a lot of second guessing going on here, but that one is an obvious play call.

As a for instance of the second guessing going on.....up 13 points, seven and a half minutes left, we have a six yard run and then run on second down.  Nothing wrong with that call given the situation....in fact, we throw an incomplete pass there and people are bitching about not running more time.  The complaint should be about the play execution there that lost two yards, but running the ball on second and four when taking time off the clock was important?  Nothing wrong with that.

That throw on 3rd down was stupid. Low % of completion might as well run and work the clock. Plenty of other poor decisions cost the game though.

6 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Could be argued. Better playmaker on defense in Tracy Porter. An offense that had Kellen Lewis, James Hardy, Marcus Thigpen... id give an edge to 07 just because of the playmakers they had. Something this team just couldn’t consistently find for some reason. Even just one would have changed the whole season. Mainly on defense. It’d be awesome to just have a beastly front 7.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The 07 team went 7-6 and didn't play Ohio State or Michigan.  Marcus Thigpen also didn't really make big plays that year.  He carried the ball 138 times for just a 4.1 average and no TDs, caught only 21 passes, and had no kick returns for touchdowns that year.  He had very good 06 and 08 seasons, but 07 wasn't one.  Outside of Hardy, the receiver group was pretty weak.

26 minutes ago, Aaron said:

This game in a nutshell makes no difference. 8-5 or 9-4 makes no difference and its still the best season in 25 yrs. Its a disappointing loss but changes our trajectory very little. 

What I worry about is if we can sustain this? I have seen to many examples of a historically bad teams bubble up briefly only to not sustain it and with the clock management issues I see I am more worried.

If we can sustain this and make another bowl next year (and 7 wins should be a minimum starting point given easy schedule) this should be forgotten. I have just seen to many examples of teams returning everyone from a historic good season and fall off the face of the earth and not handle success (17-18 NW basketball and 14-15 Neb basketball come to mind as does PU in football this year). 

This is why 5-7 wouldn't surprise me. There's a far better chance we flub up a game against Ball State or UConn than upsetting a ranked opponent. 

12 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Did we beat a team with a winning record? Had a real chance tonight. Tougher schedule next year.

Some of the play calls were ridiculous.  Almost like "okay, we put in this end around...when should we use it?  How about....now?"   How many yards did we lose running the ball because someone on defense was completely unblocked?

Honestly?  Our O-line has been injured, but also horrible on occasion.  Ramsey still doesn't make quick reads, but our receivers sometimes didn't recognize they were the "hot" a couple of times and left him with no options.  I really thought our defense was good today.  Our offense needs to get better.  Simple as that.

15 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Purdue in football this year? We won 6 games last year (not a historically good season) and got blasted in the bowl game, then proceeded to lose a significant number of our best players to injury. Don’t think that’s comparable at all to NW/Nebraska. Not even close really. 

Congrats on the season. 8 wins is 8 wins. 

10 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Allen needs to grow as a coach. Yes it wasn't good tonight but overall I agree the program is heading in the right direction. Sustainable success is what is needed now and he must learn from his mistakes if he wishes to achieve that. To me what's really upsetting is that the better team is suppose to win right? That wasn't the case in this one

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

At halftime, would you have said we were the better team?  Honestly, even with 7 minutes to go I would have said the two teams were evenly matched despite the fact we were up 22-9.  If we had been able to kick a field goal at the end and won, I wouldn't have said the best team won.  Looked like two pretty even teams to me.......but we had taken advantage of our opportunities for the first three and half quarters of the game.  What stings IMO isn't that we lost a game we deserved to win....it's that we let the breaks we had in up until the end slip away because of a horrible four minutes of game play.

13 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Purdue in football this year? We won 6 games last year (not a historically good season) and got blasted in the bowl game, then proceeded to lose a significant number of our best players to injury. Don’t think that’s comparable at all to NW/Nebraska. Not even close really. 

Congrats on the season. 8 wins is 8 wins. 

You sure spend a lot of time on IU boards waiting for someone to mention Purdue. 

7 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Did we beat a team with a winning record? Had a real chance tonight. Tougher schedule next year.

Lose Eastern Illinois from the schedule, add Western Kentucky.  WKU was 9-4 this year, but that's still a game that Sagarin has IU as a two touchdown favorite in.

Exchange Illinois and Wisconsin for Northwestern and Nebraska.  Illinois IMO takes a step back next year....they basically played one good month of football and were horrible before and after....lost to Eastern Michigan and closed their season by getting stomped by Northwestern in Champaign.  Wisky, though, that's another story.

I'd say it's a schedule harder by one full game....that is, if we play like this year, we go 7-5 instead of 8-4.

18 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Some of the play calls were ridiculous.  Almost like "okay, we put in this end around...when should we use it?  How about....now?"   How many yards did we lose running the ball because someone on defense was completely unblocked?

Honestly?  Our O-line has been injured, but also horrible on occasion.  Ramsey still doesn't make quick reads, but our receivers sometimes didn't recognize they were the "hot" a couple of times and left him with no options.  I really thought our defense was good today.  Our offense needs to get better.  Simple as that.

Really wish we had Stevie Scott for the game.  He's a much better bad line blocking runner than James and Walker.

The 07 team went 7-6 and didn't play Ohio State or Michigan.  Marcus Thigpen also didn't really make big plays that year.  He carried the ball 138 times for just a 4.1 average and no TDs, caught only 21 passes, and had no kick returns for touchdowns that year.  He had very good 06 and 08 seasons, but 07 wasn't one.  Outside of Hardy, the receiver group was pretty weak.

That team didn’t beat any good teams. This team didn’t beat any good teams. That team had a star at CB who was obviously better than anyone on the current team and you could easily argue the same with Hardy. Both teams were just okay to good. The separation is the playmaking ability of those 4 guys. Mainly Porter, Hardy and Lewis. Had a more clutch kicker too.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Solid chime in as always Wat. 

It's just strange. Yesterday I made a post slamming Purdue, without even mentioning Purdue, and you found it within minutes. 

I'm not hating, I just think it's weird that someone would have so much time to spend on a rival's message board trying to argue with people who aren't even really looking for arguments. 

Edit: LOL, guess you didn't hit the delete button fast enough. Better luck tomorrow, sport.