Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs Arkansas 12/29 @ 6 pm BTN

1 minute ago, Josh said:

It's all hearsay.  Just like the rumor that the money was there for Fonovan, but McRobbie didn't want an expensive coach.

Show the money and they will come.

But the idea that we can throw enough money to make this place attractive is factual? Regardless of money, there wasn't even initial interest from names that would require big money. 

Again, there's a much bigger problem that is clear to most coaches. We aren't getting calls from the Pitino's of the world anymore.

2 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Throw everything at Beard from Texas Tech. No way he keeps that job forever he's just waiting on someone to offer more. 

Isn't he from Texas originally? So he's going to leave his home in Texas to come to coach in Indiana. Maybe I just don't buy it. He's probably set up better there for the next couple of years than we are. 

Just now, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Maybe? We'll see what team shows up in 2020. FSU, UConn, and ND weren't mirages. Last night wasn't either.

I mean ND had a lot of parallels to last night, I don't want to get involved in your back and forth with TX, but we blew big leads in both of those games, just Arkansas is quite a bit more athletic and got hot in the second half, which ND did as well but we were able to take advantage of our size down low late unlike last night.

Just now, Chris007 said:

Isn't he from Texas originally? So he's going to leave his home in Texas to come to coach in Indiana. Maybe I just don't buy it. He's probably set up better there for the next couple of years than we are. 

Maybe he waits for the UT job since Shaka seems to be on thin ice. Other than UT, I don't see any program in Texas worth sticking around for unless he really loves Tech that much. They are paying him 4+ million currently.  I don't know what we were throwing at some of the big names and maybe it wouldn't have mattered much. 

2 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

But the idea that we can throw enough money to make this place attractive is factual? Regardless of money, there wasn't even initial interest from names that would require big money. 

Again, there's a much bigger problem that is clear to most coaches. We aren't getting calls from the Pitino's of the world anymore.

At this point I don't care who we replace him with.  Just replace him!  Archie basketball is brutal.

3 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Maybe? We'll see what team shows up in 2020. FSU, UConn, and ND weren't mirages. Last night wasn't either.

UConn and ND could have gone either way. And did you see the way we played during our only true road game against Wisky? I'm more afraid we are going to seemingly lose every road game without upperclassmen leadership and enough ball handlers/consistent scoring. I mean at NW seems like a W....I think. 

1 minute ago, kreigh8 said:

I mean ND had a lot of parallels to last night, I don't want to get involved in your back and forth with TX, but we blew big leads in both of those games, just Arkansas is quite a bit more athletic and got hot in the second half, which ND did as well but we were able to take advantage of our size down low late unlike last night.

I also saw someone mention Arkansas is not a good team - this is just not accurate.

KenPom has them ranked #32 and they are somewhere in the top 30ish rang last I saw in NET.

I also saw someone mention Arkansas is not a good team - this is just not accurate.

KenPom has them ranked #32 and they are somewhere in the top 30ish rang last I saw in NET.

Arky hardly played anyone though coming into this game. Best win before this was at Georgia Tech. No one on their schedule so far was a tourney team. 

I don't agree with that, and that surely wasn't me saying that. I think IU has the talent to win that game for sure, but I think that team is a tourney team in the SEC. I found them extremely athletic, they just aren't very deep with 3 transfers sitting out as was mentioned by those awful announcers last night several times. Joe's stroke is very nice, and was surprised he didn't go off in both games last year. He made up for it last night in the second half. Just a very frustrating loss so I'd credit a lot of the reactions to that. Definitely a winnable game, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm concerned as this season is shaping up a lot like last year. I'm very wary of the BIG10 slate. As covered ad nauseam already if our guard play doesn't improve we may get eaten alive.

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

You need good guards to succeed in college basketball. Archie can’t develop them and the 5 stars don’t want to play in this system. Seems like that’s a real problem. 

Went to a KU game recently against Colorado. What a shame we don't have Mckinley Wright! Dude is a baller and would instantly change the trajectory of this team. Archie's recruiting so far at IU has left something to be desired and 2020 has the looks of a mid major recruiting class....

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Holtman was mentioned but he didn't want any part of this. I'm not leaving my current job to go to a place where I have 3 years to win at a high level with someone else's recruits or I will be fired because the fans aren't happy. No thank you

I agree with some of what you are saying but do you consider making the tourney, in year 3, “winning at a high level” ? I don’t see anyone posting we should be in the FF, sweet 16 etc.  The bar has seemingly been lowered to just making the tourney (which is where I am). 

1 minute ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Arky hardly played anyone though coming into this game. Best win before this was at Georgia Tech. No one on their schedule so far was a tourney team. 

SOS is accounted for in these metrics. We'll see how it plays out, but they're now 11-1 with a Q1 road win against us, a tourney team as of now.

Saying they aren't good is inaccurate. Didn't call them a world beater either.

SOS is accounted for in these metrics. We'll see how it plays out, but they're now 11-1 with a Q1 road win against us, a tourney team as of now.

Saying they aren't good is inaccurate. Didn't call them a world beater either.

Sure they are competitive but I would be shocked if they are a tourney team. They will live and die by the three ball and don't seem to have any inside presence while only going 7 deep. SEC is fairly weak though but I don't see them being over .500 in that conference. 

1 minute ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I do not like what I am seeing this year at all. I still want to give Archie four seasons (and certainly see how this season plays out). I don't see how he survives (at least the fans) if we don't make the tournament this year though.

And if we don't make the tourney this year someone needs to explain to me how next year would be any better especially if TJD bolts...I just don't see it from the roster barring a real impact transfer or two. 

1 minute ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Went to a KU game recently against Colorado. What a shame we don't have Mckinley Wright! Dude is a baller and would instantly change the trajectory of this team. Archie's recruiting so far at IU has left something to be desired and 2020 has the looks of a mid major recruiting class....

Do you know that story of why we weren't allowed to bring him in? People want to blame that on Archie also.