Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Lebowski

OC Candidates

I'm Indifferent.....would I have loved someone who’s already run plays before yeah, but I’m also optimistic as Sheridan just spent a year being tutored by one of the best in the game.....in his scheme. Coach allen wanted to keep scheme the same or similar. Sheridan has also been a pretty big recruiter for us as well. It will be interesting but I’m ready for it and Sheridan has been tabbed as a young guy to watch. So let’s go boys. 

He made Womack the DC because they shared the same style of play. And Womacks schemes sucked for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He made Womack the DC because they shared the same style of play. And Womacks schemes sucked for the most part.

I’m not attacking you. I’m simply wondering how his scheme sucked for the most part and What part of this defense you obviously hated....because statistically speaking it was a good defense for IU in historical terms, and youth terms. If you want to look back at most recent success under Tom when he first was a DC at IU. I’ll say that some of his play calling was confusing during some games and some situational stances, but overall after taking a step back his adjustments to second half’s were pretty good all year. I thought the defense had some bad stretches in games for sure, but overall looking back I can’t say this defense was a total sick party...his plays getting in on time were hit or miss all year that was frustrating. However it’s not like he had no experience...he’s had more tenure at D1(FBS and FCS) DC duties  than Tom Allen has had at this level calling a defense. Again not attacking just wondering why the defense Sucked so bad ? 

I’m not attacking you. I’m simply wondering how his scheme sucked for the most part and What part of this defense you obviously hated....because statistically speaking it was a good defense for IU in historical terms, and youth terms. If you want to look back at most recent success under Tom when he first was a DC at IU. I’ll say that some of his play calling was confusing during some games and some situational stances, but overall after taking a step back his adjustments to second half’s were pretty good all year. I thought the defense had some bad stretches in games for sure, but overall looking back I can’t say this defense was a total sick party...his plays getting in on time were hit or miss all year that was frustrating. However it’s not like he had no experience...he’s had more tenure at D1(FBS and FCS) DC duties  than Tom Allen has had at this level calling a defense. Again not attacking just wondering why the defense Sucked so bad ? 

Well the defense didn’t improve. Still gave up huge plays. It kept us in some but man did it screw us in others. Like Michigan State and Tennessee. Or Purdue. The defensive line is still bad. Corners still can’t cover and leave people wide open. His playing calling was pretty poopy at some bad times and I’m sure some of it is due to Allen as well. Blitzing when you shouldn’t, not blitzing when you should. We will see how players develop with another summer under him. The defensive line can’t get weaker and the DB’s eventually will stop watching offensive players making plays as they just stand there. It’s more than just play calling.

The basketball was depressing but I was at least hopeful on football. Allen got his big raise and job security and promotes the OC from within. Big mistake imo. There is a great team coming back and it would be a shame to not get the most out of the offense this year. Promoting from within on a side of the ball you are strong on as a HC I can get behind. If we take a step back this year offensively CTA is the only one to blame. Have to hope this guy Sheridan is the real deal. 

13 hours ago, lucel15 said:

From my seat Wommack lacks the experience necessary to make in game adjustments and to understand when to bring pressure, when to fall back. Numerous times throughout the season I was left to scratch my head with his decision making in this regard. I agree with you that there’s nothing wrong with his overall scheme but even CTA could be seen ripping into Wommack a couple times during the season for calling dumb packages at key moments. I hope he learns from his mistakes and grows into an excellent DC but I’m sort of frustrated that IU always has to be the destination for the guys on their way out (either via retirement or greener pastures). Otherwise we settle for unproven guys like Wommack and Sheridan and dealing with their limitations and learning curves. 

That being said, as far as Sheridan is concerned, none of us know how much or how little he was being groomed for this so maybe this was the plan all along and he has some idea of what he’s doing? Either way we need to win now and show we can be a better program than the Purdues and MSUs of the conference or we’ll lose any and all recruiting momentum we ever had and will likely be relegated back to the cellar of the BigTen.  

Best of luck to Coach Sheridan!  He was a big part of the development of Peyton Hendershot.  Let's hope he'll be able to produce and keep the Hoosiers rolling.  They've got a tough schedule this coming season so it'll be a big challenge for sure.

1 hour ago, lucel15 said:

In reference to the other job openings....keep an eye on Kevin Wright the ex HC of IMG academy returning home to Indiana. 

Only big time job I know of would be Bloomington South and Fishers. 

I could see us hiring him though.

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I thought the South job was promised to someone on the staff but I heard that a few years ago. 

If they were smart they'd try and get Reed May, but I already know he's not going anywhere :)

1 hour ago, johnsoniu said:

You called it

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/football/indiana-football-kevin-wright-joins-staff-img-academy

This is a huge hire. The recruiting doors he opens in state and in Florida can't be overstated.

As far as Sheridan goes, I can understand some of the pensive reactions. I'm a bit biased as I coached Nick in jr high and know his dad. His dad is a long time asst coach at the high D1 and NFL level. It's a football family with the mindset that will mesh well with what CTA preaches. Nick as a freshman had a football IQ that was off the charts and a personality of a true leader. If he's continued to develop those qualities, I think we may have gotten us a real good one.

Go Hoosiers!

Opens big time doors. Just in time for junior camps. Cheers men and great stuff on Sheridan. 

On 1/11/2020 at 9:10 AM, lucel15 said:

Opens big time doors. Just in time for junior camps. Cheers men and great stuff on Sheridan. 

I played for Wright my freshman year of HS. He left after that season to take over at Louisville Trinity then Warren Central. He’s a really, really good dude. The kids will absolutely love his attitude and demeanor.
Only puzzled by the assignment of tight ends coach as from what little I know about him, as he was never a pass game guy. His offenses featured duel running backs and they ran the ball 75% of the time with wildcat like QBs.  Maybe that changed down in Florida but I know he wasn’t well liked at Trinity and Tulsa Union as a result of his running game strategy. Either way, he has all the in state connections one can have and having a close IMG connection should grow into a huge pipeline (or at least one can hope). 

1 hour ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

I played for Wright my freshman year of HS. He left after that season to take over at Louisville Trinity then Warren Central. He’s a really, really good dude. The kids will absolutely love his attitude and demeanor.
Only puzzled by the assignment of tight ends coach as from what little I know about him, as he was never a pass game guy. His offenses featured duel running backs and they ran the ball 75% of the time with wildcat like QBs.  Maybe that changed down in Florida but I know he wasn’t well liked at Trinity and Tulsa Union as a result of his running game strategy. Either way, he has all the in state connections one can have and having a close IMG connection should grow into a huge pipeline (or at least one can hope). 

That’s awesome! My mom knew Kevin when she taught at Warren Central and I guess I met him when I was 10 or 11...I don’t remember that. Lol. TE coach.....my only take on that is a lot of coaches shift positions here and there to get well rounded. This will probably only help him get back to OC or becoming a HC at D1 level. I like that he has some experience at this level. I’d say img ties will Help somewhat not saying we will get the cream of the crop, but it should help at IMG but also strengthen those FL ties. Not to mention I believe Josiah Sears is the OC down there still. He ran great offenses at the lower tiers of college football, and I’ve watched some IMG films and it was a pretty mixed play calling. I say this hire can only help the Hoosiers. Excited about the two hires so far after having some time to read and think about what’s gone down recently