Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Lebowski

OC Candidates

DeBoer seems like a good dude and I appreciate what he did in his one season, but I wonder if it wouldn't just be best to part ways now? He's gonna be half-IU and half-Fresno State from here till the bowl is over. No offense to him, but I think I'd rather have someone who's 100 percent all in to IU. ... A few years back, Kiffin wanted to stay at Bama for their playoff run after taking the FAU gig. After a while, Saban could see it wasn't working and cut him loose. I can't help but wonder if that wouldn't be the wisest course of action for us, too? ... That way, DeBoer can get on with the next phase of his career -- and we can have someone fully committed to the task at hand.

8 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

DeBoer seems like a good dude and I appreciate what he did in his one season, but I wonder if it wouldn't just be best to part ways now? He's gonna be half-IU and half-Fresno State from here till the bowl is over. No offense to him, but I think I'd rather have someone who's 100 percent all in to IU. ... A few years back, Kiffin wanted to stay at Bama for their playoff run after taking the FAU gig. After a while, Saban could see it wasn't working and cut him loose. I can't help but wonder if that wouldn't be the wisest course of action for us, too? ... That way, DeBoer can get on with the next phase of his career -- and we can have someone fully committed to the task at hand.

We have nothing to lose let the man play. 

It has been less than 24 hours but Allen said he received calls weeks back so I'm sure he's fielding calls today and will be in the coming days as well. I think we'll hear more at Allen's next press conference on Monday which should set a timeline 

21 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

All has been quiet from what I've gathered. Which concerns me as I fear it'll be an internal hire. 

I can't see this. I think if Allen had someone lined up internally he would have just thanked Deboer and not had him call plays in the bowl game. I think that speaks volumes about not having confidence that someone on the staff can call plays although maybe it was more of a nice gesture to Deboer. 

On 12/18/2019 at 10:48 AM, Lebowski said:

First and foremost congratulations to Kalen DeBoer!  I truly hope he has success at Fresno St. and wish him the best.  

A staple at this level and above is the forever rotation of coaching positions.  This year's rotation was due to success!  I'll take it baby.  Now CTA is tasked with making a home run hire like he did last year with DeBoer.  I'm curious to know what y'all think of potential candidates for the job.  

Here are a few that come to mind 
Rob Sale - Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns OC
Joey Lynch - Ball St. OC - Colorado St. hires him as OC/QB Coach
Rhett Lashlee - SMU OC - Miami Hurricanes hires him as OC
Matt Kubik - ULM OC

All of these coaches made big jumps in rankings from 2018 to 2019.  That might not necessarily mean anything but they are jumps nonetheless.  

Here's and update on my first thought candidates.

I'd also like to point out that Rob Sale doesn't actually call the plays so I'm not sure he's the right guy.  We'll see folks.  

What are your thoughts about bringing back Kevin Johns?

13 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Here's and update on my first thought candidates.

I'd also like to point out that Rob Sale doesn't actually call the plays so I'm not sure he's the right guy.  We'll see folks.  

What are your thoughts about bringing back Kevin Johns?

I have heard that interviews will be taking place later this week. I don't know who is interviewing but names I've heard on other sites are Joe Moorehead and Will Hall being two of them. 

If we could entertain Moorhead that’d be awesome. If he wants to take a step back and call plays again...I think IU is in a great position for him to have talent returning at QB, WR, RB, and TE which he uses in his offense. OL will also get a boost from grad transfer and two bookend OTs. A lot to like if you’re an OC 

7 hours ago, lucel15 said:

If we could entertain Moorhead that’d be awesome. If he wants to take a step back and call plays again...I think IU is in a great position for him to have talent returning at QB, WR, RB, and TE which he uses in his offense. OL will also get a boost from grad transfer and two bookend OTs. A lot to like if you’re an OC 

My thing with the next OC is he is similar in scheme. Moorhead used TEs at PSU and he had a scrambling QB. Penix can run but to me he isn’t true dual. He can get out of the pocket but Ramsey will put head down and run....if you want apples to apples or look at trace and Tommy Stevens who followed Moorhead to Mississippi state. I think he would adapt to penix, but let’s just say he enjoys calling plays and enjoys being at IU and using his north east and East coast ties for recruiting....hypothetically let’s say he stays around until dexter is QB and in this hypothetical Dexter has developed and polished some....but that kid shows glimpses of trace in his tape especially getting out of the pocket and throwing on the run....dimes and zip on his ball....just needs to polish stepping up in pocket if need be. 

I'm Indifferent.....would I have loved someone who’s already run plays before yeah, but I’m also optimistic as Sheridan just spent a year being tutored by one of the best in the game.....in his scheme. Coach allen wanted to keep scheme the same or similar. Sheridan has also been a pretty big recruiter for us as well. It will be interesting but I’m ready for it and Sheridan has been tabbed as a young guy to watch. So let’s go boys.