Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Lebowski

OC Candidates

First and foremost congratulations to Kalen DeBoar!  I truly hope he has success at Fresno St. and wish him the best.  

A staple at this level and above is the forever rotation of coaching positions.  This year's rotation was due to success!  I'll take it baby.  Now CTA is tasked with making a home run hire like he did last year with DeBoar.  I'm curious to know what y'all think of potential candidates for the job.  

Here are a few that come to mind 
Rob Sale - Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns OC
Joey Lynch - Ball St. OC
Rhett Lashlee - SMU OC
Matt Kubik - ULM OC

All of these coaches made big jumps in rankings from 2018 to 2019.  That might not necessarily mean anything but they are jumps nonetheless.  

Here are a few names I've seen on other sites

Cale Gundy OK CO OC

Oklahoma co-OC/OL coach Bill Bedenbaugh:

Southern Miss co-OC/WR coach Scotty Walden

Eric Kiesau- Boise State Co OC

Warren Ruggiero OC Wake Forest

Kerwin Bell OC South Florida

Cale Gundy OK CO OC

Are CO OC's that common these days? Seems smart actually as you have a guy in waiting if one leaves for another job. Also do any of these CO OC's currently call plays for their teams that you know of?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Cale Gundy OK CO OC

I remember when Kerwin Bell was a third string QB on the Colts the first year I started watching them in 1996 (I was 9 yrs old). He almost started a game when first Harbaugh went down in week 12 then Justin went down at the  end of week 15. Fortunately Harbaugh came back next game against KC in week 16 so Bell only ended up playing very late in week 15 when Justin got hurt or Colts would of missed playoffs. Bell went to CFL after this and eventually coaching which is obviously what he is doing now. 

Fun fact: The practice squad fourth string guy was Kelly Holcomb on the 96 team and he ended up moving to third string next year in 1997 disaster and played a bit before being Manning's backup first couple years he was in league but never saw action since Manning never missed a snap:)

Never heard of any of these guys outside Bell.   

24 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Are CO OC's that common these days? Seems smart actually as you have a guy in waiting if one leaves for another job. Also do any of these CO OC's currently call plays for their teams that you know of?

Yes CO OC's and DC's are common these days. I don't believe any of these guys call plays but not totally for sure about that. 

Yes CO OC's and DC's are common these days. I don't believe any of these guys call plays but not totally for sure about that. 
I don't watch a ton of college football outside of IU so I was ignorant to the CO OC being so prevalent

Having Tom Allen under a long term contract will help.

Being strong recruiting in Florida will help, and I wouldn't be surprised to see someone from that state highly considered

Having at least one proven QB in the fold and a young, talented group of backs and receivers will help.

Having a solid budget for hiring assistants will help.

I'd be very surprised if Indiana doesn't have several very qualified candidates available to them.

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Allen said today that his phone was ringing off the hook yesterday with people asking about the job. 

That's great to hear.  Not at all surprising, but great to hear.   Will be interesting because I think Indiana is in a position to attract someone who may come unexpected.

2 hours ago, Old Friend said:

That's great to hear.  Not at all surprising, but great to hear.   Will be interesting because I think Indiana is in a position to attract someone who may come unexpected.

Yeah I could disagree with NoLa Hoosier more - we attracted Kalen DeBoer after a disappointing year and now we’re coming off one of our best years ever with 2 (maybe 3?) starter caliber QBs, a potential 1,000yd+ RB, strong WR and TEs, and a good OL?

We have an excellent sales pitch. 

Love seeing the points that the Indiana OC job is an attractive one. Didn’t really think of that prior to viewing BtB today. Not saying Indiana is a stepping stone job, but the position of OC is. If a coach thinks they can come in and have success at IU under the role of OC then go be the HC somewhere big D1 within the next few years that’s equally attractive to them. I think there’s many qualified candidates and really really hoping CTA doesn’t make an internal hire/a hire that has some sort of past connection to IUFB like the direction many often immediately look.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Yeah I could disagree with NoLa Hoosier more - we attracted Kalen DeBoer after a disappointing year and now we’re coming off one of our best years ever with 2 (maybe 3?) starter caliber QBs, a potential 1,000yd+ RB, strong WR and TEs, and a good OL?

We have an excellent sales pitch. 

At this point, the only real negative is the division we play in.  We've always had - or seemingly anyway - strong skill guys.