Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Regardless of the reason, this is a great thing for IU Athletics

This is a great thing for IU Athletics if Scott Dolson is an upgrade... not sure if he is.

I think 007 suggested he was a front runner and just heard from someone on the committee that it would be a surprise if it wasn’t him.

Barring a nix from McRobbie it seems like we are getting Dolson. That said, is this an upgrade or another “compliance first, yes man”?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah, it’ll be Dolson imo. Not sure what that means. Don’t think it’s a bigger thirst to win.

Happy with IU athletics overall, just want basketball to be Uber elite. A big ten standout.

As it stands now, imo. B1G momentum rankings

1. OSU

2. Michigan

3. MSU

4. Maryland. they do what they do.

Stand out.

Then next batch

5. Illinois and their newfound willingness to win.

6. Indiana. Seem to be on the cusp. Still miss top targets regularly.

7. Purdue. Steady Eddie. They can’t land biggest fish. Do well with what they have

8. Iowa. Fran seems to be a good coach. Iowa always above average.

9. Wisconsin. Drop off with Gard. But still seem to be a similar program.

10. Minnesota. Pitino will get muddy. Doesn’t get great results with talent he has.

11. Penn State. Have a good team this year. Don’t think they can sustain it. PSU not a draw for BB.

Bottom Dwellers

12. Nebraska. Hoiberg Knows what it takes. Will bump them up a tier in a couple years but it’s Nebraska and it’s basketball.

13. Northwestern. They are heading south. No momentum.

14. Rutgers. Better than normal, but It’s Rutgers.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

If the committee is happy overall with the state of IU athletics, then continuity of the status quo will be the goal and the hire and mandate will reflect that. Only if the committee sees a problem will the hire represent a bold, new direction in priorities.

It seems IU has a history of hiring lawyers with IU connections. People like Glass and Donninger. They don't seem to think that athletic knowledge is of much importance. Neither of these two could in any way evaluate coaching talent. I don't expect the IU BOT to make a good decision. It would be out of character.

Sure sounds like IU is going to the next level huh... Be careful what you wish for when their boss thinks they are doing a great job.... Hell here is his bio. What screams Athletic Director? Sounds more like a marketing director or project manager.

Scott Dolson has served as Deputy Director of Athletics since 2009, after spending seven years as the Director of the Varsity Club. He oversees all internal and external operations within the department including marketing, media relations, ticketing, game management, broadcast services, strategic partnerships and fundraising. Dolson also supervises facilities and business operations, academics, compliance and is the sport administrator for Men’s Basketball.

Under Dolson’s stewardship, Indiana Athletics renegotiated a new 10-year multimedia rights agreement with Learfield Sports, and dramatically increased student and general attendance at both Football and Men’s Basketball games. New football attendance records were set in 2012 and due to his leadership, Indiana has seen an almost 9% increase in public season tickets sold since the 2014 season. In men’s basketball, IU has sold more student season tickets (15,500) than any other program in the country in 2013-14 and has enjoyed five consecutive season of top ten attendance in the country.

Since 2008, Dolson has also ushered in an era of expansion with the construction of new state-of-the-art facilities. Most recently – the renovation of Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall in 2016, the construction of the Excellence Academy South Endzone of Memorial Stadium in 2018 and the addition of Wilkinson Hall, the new multi-purpose indoor arena that will serve as the home for the volleyball and wrestling teams, in 2018. Prior facility upgrades include the transformation of Memorial Stadium into a horseshoe layout; a 25,000-square foot strength and conditioning center (Jay and Nancy Wilkinson Performance Center); a 25,800-square foot academic center (D. Ames Shuel Academic Center); the Henke Hall of Champions, a banquet and entertaining space celebrating achievements in IU Athletics; a new basketball practice facility with museum space to celebrate the tradition of basketball (Cook Hall and Pfau-Shine Legacy Court); and new baseball (Bart Kaufman Field) and softball (Andy Mohr Field) stadiums highlighted with indoor hitting cages, locker rooms, suites and clubhouses.

In addition to his role as Deputy Director of Athletics, Dolson has maintained his leadership as the fourth director of the Varsity Club managing the athletic department’s overall fundraising program for scholarships, annual giving, endowments and athletic facilities. Dolson leads the capital campaign efforts for the department. Currently, IU Athletics is aggressively fundraising as part of the university’s For All: The Indiana University Bicentennial Campaign to raise $2.5 billion. The current bicentennial campaign has an aggressive fundraising goal of $170 million to benefit capital projects and student-athlete scholarships. The campaign concludes December 31, 2019 and building projects in the current effort include Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, Excellence Academy in the South Endzone of Memorial Stadium, Indoor Arena, IU Golf Course redesign, Armstrong Stadium and IU Football renovations. Dolson also led the department’s first comprehensive campaign. The five-year, “For the Glory of Old IU” campaign, which was completed in 2011, raised $93 million against an $80 million development goal. He also helped secure the two largest gifts in the history of IU Athletics, a $40 million gift from Cindy Simon Skjodt and a $15 million gift from Bill and Gayle Cook. Dolson was also instrumental in securing two $10 million gifts from Larry and Lucie Glaubinger in support of the Glaubinger Athletic Endowment Fund. Under his leadership, the IU Varsity Club set a new annual giving record in 2016-2017, raising $12.6 million for student-athlete scholarships.

The Michigan City, Indiana, native graduated from Indiana with a bachelor’s degree in Management from the School of Public & Environmental Affairs. While doing his undergraduate work, Dolson was a student manager for the Indiana Basketball program for four seasons, serving as the program’s head manager in 1988. Following graduation in 1988, he worked for Tim Knight Enterprises before joining the joining the Varsity Club staff in December of 1989.

Dolson and his wife, Heidi, who works as a Special Events Manager at the IU Alumni Association, have five children: Luke, Sam and Zach Wisen, and Kristen and Nick Dolson.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

“What am I missing? No disrespect to folks & coaches on it, but highest earning sport at @IndianaMBB @IUBloomington isnt on AD search committee? Not @Archie_Miller Or a former #iubb player? All-time great @QuinnBuckner is on board of trustees and he’s not on it? Help me out here.” -Alan Henderson on Twitter

I can't claim to know much about all this -- basically, what I read here and on a couple other sites -- but from my viewpoint, I'd like to see Chris Reynolds and Pat Kraft get serious looks. It seems to me Scott Dolson is good at what he does, but might not be the right person to oversee the entire department (i.e. -- hire/fire coaches). ... Obviously, I don't keep tabs on all Power 5 schools who hire ADs, but it seems to me most do not promote from within, especially one who's never done it before. I realize Glass had never done it before, either, but he seemingly had some other qualifying credentials. Most schools seem to hire an experienced AD -- and in this case, one with ties to the university would be a double-check plus (to quote Fred). 

It’s going to be Dolson - the committee all like him. Not saying it is a popularity contest only but I think having worked and been around the guy for year in many cases, they feel comfortable and will make a somewhat comfortable choice.

I have no idea if he is good for basketball or football but the other coaches seem to be rooting for him

It’s going to be Dolson - the committee all like him. Not saying it is a popularity contest only but I think having worked and been around the guy for year in many cases, they feel comfortable and will make a somewhat comfortable choice.

I have no idea if he is good for basketball or football but the other coaches seem to be rooting for him

Edit: Alan Henderson is right, if not Archie, Buckner or someone should be on the committee to speak for the basketball team

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Oh how times have changed since Alan was here. I 100% agree with him and have said as much. I am not saying Archie should pick our next AD. Just the fact you have nobody from either basketball or football on this committee is asinine. Any committee at Indiana University that has a say on the direction of the athletic department, with input from peers has to include them. It’s ridiculous it was not set up with them included. Like he said, put someone on there. Doesn’t have to be Archie.

2 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Oh how times have changed since Alan was here. I 100% agree with him and have said as much. I am not saying Archie should pick our next AD. Just the fact you have nobody from either basketball or football on this committee is asinine. Any committee at Indiana University that has a say on the direction of the athletic department, with input from peers has to include them. It’s ridiculous it was not set up with them included. Like he said, put someone on there. Doesn’t have to be Archie.

Exactly.  As the money making sports they should be allowed to have their input.

As Han Solo said, I've got a bad feeling about this.

Not having Archie on the committee is fine with me. It’s actually a good thing if you want the basketball program to be held accountable.

And ultimately the basketball program has someone very prominent and well known on the trustees which gives them more power and say than any other program.

I know many will disagree with this, but just my opinion.

42 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Not having Archie on the committee is fine with me. It’s actually a good thing if you want the basketball program to be held accountable.

And ultimately the basketball program has someone very prominent and well known on the trustees which gives them more power and say than any other program.

I know many will disagree with this, but just my opinion.

Allen isn't on the committee either, so football isn't represented.  That trustee member isn't part of the committee either.  The revenue producing sports have no voice in the matter as currently configured, they don't have to (and shouldn't) have final say but they don't even have the ability to voice opinion as is.

23 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Allen isn't on the committee either, so football isn't represented.  That trustee member isn't part of the committee either.  The revenue producing sports have no voice in the matter as currently configured, they don't have to (and shouldn't) have final say but they don't even have the ability to voice opinion as is.

Anthony Thompson is on the committee, so not exactly true.