Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

I don’t think anybody is arguing that Archie was a good hire in the moment. But then again people thought the Billy Gillespie hiring was good when it happened. Time gives the ability to judge on factors other than potential. 

Archie had a lot of potential. I’ve yet to see it truly realized 

Maybe Archie works out and is successful for a very long time at IU or maybe he doesn’t gain traction and fails. Acting like at the time of his hire he wasn’t the most sought after young coach is silly. That doesn’t equal success but everyone in the business agreed. He is only 41 years old in his 3rd year at IU. In my opinion if he doesn’t have success at IU he will have success at his next high major stop

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think Archie made a ton of sense and really had some things go well for him early. He was able to get All BT play from Morgan for 2 years and land a top 10 ranked kid

Mack and Holtmann went to programs with strong institutional backing and didn’t have to demand basic facilities upgrades. Archie would probably have been more successful at Ohio State or Louisville.

False. Miller would fail no matter what those other guys did.  

6 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Maybe Archie works out and is successful for a very long time at IU or maybe he doesn’t gain traction and fails. Acting like at the time of his hire he wasn’t the most sought after young coach is silly. That doesn’t equal success but everyone in the business agreed. He is only 41 years old in his 3rd year at IU. In my opinion if he doesn’t have success at IU he will have success at his next high major stop

Not everyone.

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

Yep you have been consistent from the start that you didn’t approve of the hire from the beginning. I would of been in the same boat as you if Marshall was hired.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Really?  You seem like a company man that would have approved of any hire regardless.

Really?  You seem like a company man that would have approved of any hire regardless.

You are right. I would of given him every chance and I would of had to accept that fact that I didn’t necessarily like him as a coach. I would of given him just as much time as I will give Archie. All I was saying was I know you didn’t like the hire of Archie from the beginning like I wouldn’t of liked the Marshall hire.

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

You are right. I would of given him every chance and I would of had to accept that fact that I didn’t necessarily like him as a coach. I would of given him just as much time as I will give Archie. All I was saying was I know you didn’t like the hire of Archie from the beginning like I wouldn’t of liked the Marshall hire.

Ok.  And yes I wanted Marshall, but there was only one coach I didn't want.  This isn't about who we didn't hire, it's about who we did.  Archie isn't at the level I want IU to be.

And I'm not as corporate as you to smile about a bad hire.  

Yep. I think it was the Fire Crean thread. I had got to the point I wanted Archie or Holtmann. I absolutely didn’t want Marshall. But I would have given him the time for sure. More than anything I was ready for a change in coach.

It was a pretty meh hire to me at the time. Media gushes over hires all the time.

Ok.  And yes I wanted Marshall, but there was only one coach I didn't want.  This isn't about who we didn't hire, it's about who we did.  Archie isn't at the level I want IU to be.
And I'm not as corporate as you to smile about a bad hire.  

No, but you do seem full enough of yourself to say **** like this to someone who probably spends far more time watching the sport than anyone on the board.

On 12/8/2019 at 4:59 PM, Honkyman said:

Holtmann was't "scared to go for the IU job." He was waiting for a better job and he got it at Ohio State. Ohio State has been a better program than Indiana the past decade.

Fred hired Archie because Archie was the only coach of any stature whatsoever interested in the job.

Probably because they all read the Indiana chat boards and realized how over-the-top loony we are.

On 12/8/2019 at 10:48 PM, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It was a pretty meh hire to me at the time. Media gushes over hires all the time.

A certain segment of the fan base was living in la la land and would not have been satisfied with anyone less than Stevens or Donovan. For everyone else living in reality,  Miller was considered a great hire. 

4 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

A certain segment of the fan base was living in la la land and would not have been satisfied with anyone less than Stevens or Donovan. For everyone else living in reality,  Miller was considered a great hire. 

How was that rumor of Billy D not squashed sooner? 

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

Because you had people posing as insiders pushing the narrative we were in on him when we never were.

I kind of refuse to believe their were that many trolls. I mean Kent Sterling was saying on the radio that he was in contact with former IU basketball players and they were all under the impression they got their guy, which was Billy D. Such a strange event.