Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Couple of things that I particularly noted in the podcast were Snow's comments that at the time of Crean's termination he thought Miller, Mack & Holtmann were the 3 best options.  He also commented that Crean was too intense in his recruiting and the longer he spent recruiting a kid, the less likely he was to land him as with the kid, parents, etc., Crean simply wore out his welcome.   Snow also said that negative player comments on boards - he didn't specifically say btb - did have an impact on the Brooks recruitment.  Went out of his way to state the jury's still out on Jerome's basketball future but he thought it was a real positive he'd been cleared for contact.   Snow also said he thinks Lander and Love are high future IU targets.  He specifically said he didn't see Morton as a difference maker but didn't go into why.  And when he made his comment about IU Compliance that Doc noted on the previous page he added that IU was much too slow to evolve away from Knight.

The podcast runs 2 hours and covers a lot of different topics but from around the 34 to 50 minute mark the conversation was solely about Crean and it ends up with Priller's recruitment and how Snow thought it was a joke when he first heard about it!  

That first 34 minutes is pretty much just social chit chat so you can shorten up your listening commitment by jumping to that 34 min. mark.  It really is worth your time.

If I ever meet Kyrie Irving, I'm asking about CTC dropping a deuce without flushing during a home visit. Maybe that's when McLeod recommended Kyrie go to Duke.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Couple of things that I particularly noted in the podcast were Snow's comments that at the time of Crean's termination he thought Miller, Mack & Holtmann were the 3 best options.  He also commented that Crean was too intense in his recruiting and the longer he spent recruiting a kid, the less likely he was to land him as with the kid, parents, etc., Crean simply wore out his welcome.   Snow also said that negative player comments on boards - he didn't specifically say btb - did have an impact on the Brooks recruitment.  Went out of his way to state the jury's still out on Jerome's basketball future but he thought it was a real positive he'd been cleared for contact.   Snow also said he thinks Lander and Love are high future IU targets.  He specifically said he didn't see Morton as a difference maker but didn't go into why.  And when he made his comment about IU Compliance that Doc noted on the previous page he added that IU was much too slow to evolve away from Knight.

The podcast runs 2 hours and covers a lot of different topics but from around the 34 to 50 minute mark the conversation was solely about Crean and it ends up with Priller's recruitment and how Snow thought it was a joke when he first heard about it!  

That first 34 minutes is pretty much just social chit chat so you can shorten up your listening commitment by jumping to that 34 min. mark.  It really is worth your time.

I pretty much listened to the whole thing. I also found it interesting that he said Mack, Holtmann and Archie were our most realistic candidates. All three were pretty much interchangeable, but he seemed to imply that Mack might've been the best choice for us. The reason being that Mack has a bigger personality and is more of a press-the-flesh kind of guy -- he's good at speaking, working the media, etc., which like it or not, what you have to do when you're the IU coach. That said, he did say that he thought Archie was a good hire. ... The other thing that really stood out to me was that when Crean went to visit Kyrie Irving's home, IU was in the lead to get him. After Crean left, we had no chance. (Other than the silly story about taking a dump and not flushing, how do things go THAT bad in the span of a couple hours!) 

38 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I pretty much listened to the whole thing. I also found it interesting that he said Mack, Holtmann and Archie were our most realistic candidates. All three were pretty much interchangeable, but he seemed to imply that Mack might've been the best choice for us. The reason being that Mack has a bigger personality and is more of a press-the-flesh kind of guy -- he's good at speaking, working the media, etc., which like it or not, what you have to do when you're the IU coach. That said, he did say that he thought Archie was a good hire. ... The other thing that really stood out to me was that when Crean went to visit Kyrie Irving's home, IU was in the lead to get him. After Crean left, we had no chance. (Other than the silly story about taking a dump and not flushing, how do things go THAT bad in the span of a couple hours!) 

Creans assistant Mccleod told Kyrie he should go to Duke.

On 3/20/2019 at 10:39 AM, Cheaney2002 said:

I can just promise you that as long as the three stooges are calling the shots, Glass, Mcrobbie, and Shoulders, no good changes will ever be made.  Our problems are a lot deeper than Archie.

Look at the BOT and Fred...bunch of DEEPLY ROOTED old school Attorneys with nothing but Political connections in Indiana...."I was wrong or I'm just not sure how to do that" are phrases that extremely intelligent people use all the time.  I guarantee those phrases have never came out of any of their mouths.   Purdue got lucky with Mitch, he knows and knows how to keep their kind away.  IU's problems run much deeper than just Fred....even if they decided to move on from Fred...I'm sure they have the next Attorney at one of the local firms circled for that as opposed to an AD who understands the competition side of College Athletics.  I've been critical of Fred.  I don't think he is a bad guy and I do believe he wants the best for IU.

my understanding re: IU and Beilein was that he was Greenspan's choice but the buyout to WVU was too big (back in the days before BTN $$$, IIRC). 

speaking of Greenspan, a lot of people didn't like him but IMO he's the one who deserves much credit for the baseball program's real improvements, not Glass, since it was Greenspan who hired Tracy Smith, the man most responsible by far for IU baseball's growth.

similarly, IMO Glass doesn't deserve much credit for the successes of the swimming & diving programs--that credit should go to Mean Mike McNeely, who hired Ray Looze.

I don't expect Glass to leave his position except by his own choice (perhaps when McRobbie retires?) and I assume FG and Shoulders, as working attorneys who both got their J.D.s from IU, already knew each other before Glass became the A.D. So I assume Shoulders is fully in Glass' corner, no matter what Tom Allen and Archie Miller do in the near future.

If I read Miller's contract correctly, his current buyout would be approx. $17-18 Million, dropping to about $13-14 Mil in 2020 and around $10-11 Mil in 2021. If correct, that tells me Miller's not going anywhere for at least 2, probably 3, more seasons regardless of W-L record.

Allen's buyout, on the other hand, is much more manageable but, having hired him without a real search, I fully expect Glass to give Allen AT LEAST as much time as he gave Bill Lynch, which means I assume Allen will probably be the coach for at least 2 more seasons too.

1 hour ago, sierracoach said:

my understanding re: IU and Beilein was that he was Greenspan's choice but the buyout to WVU was too big (back in the days before BTN $$$, IIRC). 

speaking of Greenspan, a lot of people didn't like him but IMO he's the one who deserves much credit for the baseball program's real improvements, not Glass, since it was Greenspan who hired Tracy Smith, the man most responsible by far for IU baseball's growth.

similarly, IMO Glass doesn't deserve much credit for the successes of the swimming & diving programs--that credit should go to Mean Mike McNeely, who hired Ray Looze.

I don't expect Glass to leave his position except by his own choice (perhaps when McRobbie retires?) and I assume FG and Shoulders, as working attorneys who both got their J.D.s from IU, already knew each other before Glass became the A.D. So I assume Shoulders is fully in Glass' corner, no matter what Tom Allen and Archie Miller do in the near future.

If I read Miller's contract correctly, his current buyout would be approx. $17-18 Million, dropping to about $13-14 Mil in 2020 and around $10-11 Mil in 2021. If correct, that tells me Miller's not going anywhere for at least 2, probably 3, more seasons regardless of W-L record.

Allen's buyout, on the other hand, is much more manageable but, having hired him without a real search, I fully expect Glass to give Allen AT LEAST as much time as he gave Bill Lynch, which means I assume Allen will probably be the coach for at least 2 more seasons too.

Correct on everything except Beileins buyout being an issue.  That was never an issue.  That entire screw up was 100% Adam Herberts doing for political reasons.  In fact I'm pretty sure Beilein paid all of his buyout to WVU out of his own pocket when UM hired him.

Sorry if you mentioned this but Snow was very excited about Franklin’s commitment. Said the kid might not single-handedly turn a program around but he’ll work his butt off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

I agree on Mack.

3 hours ago, Cheaney2002 said:

Correct on everything except Beileins buyout being an issue.  That was never an issue.  That entire screw up was 100% Adam Herberts doing for political reasons.  In fact I'm pretty sure Beilein paid all of his buyout to WVU out of his own pocket when UM hired him.

I was told (by a well-connected friend) that it wasn't JUST Herbert driving the Sampson hire, it was also a "very political" BOT member who demanded that KS had to be hired, especially after the Davis dismissal

2 hours ago, rcs29 said:

Am I the only one that wished Sampson would have made it through all the crap and still be the coach? Maybe I am but right now we'd probably be a Final Four contender. Just saying.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

That's a tough call. Sampson no doubt is an exceptional coach. But he obviously broke rules and seemed to have recruited some shady dudes ... I think trying to be overly virtuous is an exercise in futility, but I definitely don't want to turn into another UNLV. 

That's a tough call. Sampson no doubt is an exceptional coach. But he obviously broke rules and seemed to have recruited some shady dudes ... I think trying to be overly virtuous is an exercise in futility, but I definitely don't want to turn into another UNLV. 

Yeah this is where I am at as well. Sampson not only cheated but he never understood who we were. The culture change from where we were with RMK to the Sampson culture that maybe I was not ready for it. Maybe he had to go shady, drug favoring non class going kids to turn the program around quickly but a Sooner alum warned me ahead of time that was his MO

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

15 hours ago, sierracoach said:

I was told (by a well-connected friend) that it wasn't JUST Herbert driving the Sampson hire, it was also a "very political" BOT member who demanded that KS had to be hired, especially after the Davis dismissal

Cora Breckenridge?

On 3/17/2019 at 7:08 PM, Joe DeLow said:

Bennett would also have us all wanting more and back into Final Fours and title games. Something he has yet to proven to do. All he has proven is that his teams can win regular season games.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

You're right- but that still looks pretty good right now, doesn't it? 

16 hours ago, rcs29 said:

Am I the only one that wished Sampson would have made it through all the crap and still be the coach? Maybe I am but right now we'd probably be a Final Four contender. Just saying.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

He is a very good coach. By far the best coach weve had since early 1990s Knight.