Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archie may end up working out but fred should have not been let anywhere near that decision.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

You will be happy to know he wasn’t. It was consultants. At the behest of the BOT. Now whether he picked the consultants I don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I assumed he hired the guy that woke him up from his nap.  I don't think there was enough time to draw a name from a hat. 
There would've been a 3 month, $75K study commissioned to determine what hat to use.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

You will be happy to know he wasn’t. It was consultants. At the behest of the BOT. Now whether he picked the consultants I don’t know.

Corsnsultants......also known as the Boosters who give a bunch of money and think since they had dinner one night with Bob Knight 40 years ago they were qualified in knowing that success in Dayton = success at Indiana  and bullied Fred into it. (I have no idea if this happened but I could see it working like this)

Corsnsultants......also known as the Boosters who give a bunch of money and think since they had dinner one night with Bob Knight 40 years ago they were qualified in knowing that success in Dayton = success at Indiana  and bullied Fred into it. (I have no idea if this happened but I could see it working like this)

Nah they paid $90k for Parker Executive to find our next coach.

17 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

What search firm found Crean?  The answer had better not be Parker.

Crean was obviously a bad hire but given the state of the program I'm not sure we could've done much better.  The problem was Fred keeping him way too long and making a very risky hire when sure things like Bennett and Marshall were available.  Given that we've been irrelevant for 20 years now was not the time to gamble on a hire.  I agree Fred needs to go immediately.

1 hour ago, Cheaney2002 said:

Crean was obviously a bad hire but given the state of the program I'm not sure we could've done much better.  The problem was Fred keeping him way too long and making a very risky hire when sure things like Bennett and Marshall were available.  Given that we've been irrelevant for 20 years now was not the time to gamble on a hire.  I agree Fred needs to go immediately.

Not sure Bennett was ever available -- to us, anyway. Supposedly, when we hired Crean, we had reached out to Bennett, and he said no. ... The reasoning was thought to be that he didn't want all the B.S. that comes with coaching a program like IU (or Kentucky, UNC, Duke, etc.). But it might have been as simple as he was pissed that we had fired his sister as women's coach. ... Rumors now link Bennett to UCLA, so it will be interesting to see what happens. Because if you don't want the heat of a program like IU, going go to Westwood wouldn't make any sense.

Not sure Bennett was ever available -- to us, anyway. Supposedly, when we hired Crean, we had reached out to Bennett, and he said no. ... The reasoning was thought to be that he didn't want all the B.S. that comes with coaching a program like IU (or Kentucky, UNC, Duke, etc.). But it might have been as simple as he was pissed that we had fired his sister as women's coach. ... Rumors now link Bennett to UCLA, so it will be interesting to see what happens. Because if you don't want the heat of a program like IU, going go to Westwood wouldn't make any sense.

I thought he gave us his price and we balked. Could be wrong on that.

Are UCLA fans more rabid than us? With all that sunshine and water and doubt they are. Probably like to meet and greet with wealthy alumni but that might be cool with Bennet.

5 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I thought he gave us his price and we balked. Could be wrong on that.

Are UCLA fans more rabid than us? With all that sunshine and water and doubt they are. Probably like to meet and greet with wealthy alumni but that might be cool with Bennet.

With SoCal women around, I don't think I'd be too concerned about basketball.

You could look at creans past up and down record to see he was a bad hire. It really was not that hard to see but fred was in love. Bennett would have had us winning the conference alot by now.

4 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

You could look at creans past up and down record to see he was a bad hire. It really was not that hard to see but fred was in love. Bennett would have had us winning the conference alot by now.

Glass didn't hire Crean.

1 hour ago, Bailey7878 said:

Glass didn't hire Crean, just gave him an unearned extension.

44 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Did this guy hire the bball and football coaches or inherit them? Would like to see someone who has had more time in the role as well but I like him vs someone with no experience

He just hired the new football coach from NIU earlier this year after Collins (whom he hired) got poached by Ga Tech and made the call on the guy replacing Fran Dunphy who has been there since 2006. 

So, probably too early to call his coaching hires. 

I've never been a fan of judging a coach by a single season, I am however a fan of taking a holistic approach at the body of work and trajectory of a program. So the same would go for an Athletic Director. Fred Glass' body of work is 7 missed tournaments in 11 years. At this point it will be too early to tell about next season, but this roster does not scream NCAA championship caliber next year or possibly the year after. Just what a terrible athletic director. 

I'm still giving Archie 5 total years, so he has 3 left to prove something to me. But we need a new AD that knows what he's doing. 

If it turns out Archie is not our guy in 2 years, we need an AD that can recruit a top level coach. I'm not advocating to replace archie, but I'm always keeping tabs on Billy D, Brad Stevens, Chris Beard, and a few others.

Bennett would also have us all wanting more and back into Final Fours and title games. Something he has yet to proven to do. All he has proven is that his teams can win regular season games.

20 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I've never been a fan of judging a coach by a single season, I am however a fan of taking a holistic approach at the body of work and trajectory of a program. So the same would go for an Athletic Director. Fred Glass' body of work is 7 missed tournaments in 11 years. At this point it will be too early to tell about next season, but this roster does not scream NCAA championship caliber next year or possibly the year after. Just what a terrible athletic director. 

I'm still giving Archie 5 total years, so he has 3 left to prove something to me. But we need a new AD that knows what he's doing. 

If it turns out Archie is not our guy in 2 years, we need an AD that can recruit a top level coach. I'm not advocating to replace archie, but I'm always keeping tabs on Billy D, Brad Stevens, Chris Beard, and a few others.

Okay, let's boil this down.   When Archie was hired, many people here and elsewhere lauded it because he was thought of as a great and young up and coming coach.   He may still be, despite this season's record.   How can you take what Archie has done (with ONE recruiting class of his own), criticize the roster, which is still largely Crean's, and extrapolate that into "what a terrible athletic director?"

This roster was flawed, injured, and exposed when Phinisee went down.  There is a long explanation of that sentence, but I've already explained in another thread.   Has nothing to do with Fred Glass.   He didn't hire Crean.

Listen, I hate the athlete bill of rights.   It's ridiculous and paralyzing to coaches.  I hate the kumbaya attitude and that there doesn't seem to be a priority on winning in the major sports.   But here are some facts :

1)  Even in football, Indiana is bringing in better players than ever before.  This 2019 recruiting class is its highest ranked in school history.

2)  Last year, for the 6th consecutive year, Indiana set its own graduation success rate.  91% of our athletes graduate.   Fans may not prioritize that, but the powers that be do.  And Indiana had perfect scores in 2018 in 10 sports.  Including men's basketball.

3)  This coming season, Indiana will spend more on its football program than ever before.   For example, Kyle DeBoer will make more than any assistant coach at IU in any sport.

4)  For 5 seasons, Tom Crean led the Big Ten in recruiting spending and for 2 seasons was top 3 in the country.   Our coaches are supported with the resources they need.

5)  The baseball program is having unprecedented success in recent years,

6)  Women's basketball won the post-season NIT a year ago.

7)   Indiana has one of the best aquatics centers in the country and is nationally competitive in both men's and women's swimming and diving.

8)  Men's soccer remains nationally competitive year in and year out

9)  Women's softball - historically awful, is 25-6 and ranked #19 in the country right now.

10)   Indiana University has perhaps the most technologically advanced facilities in America.

11)   IU sports properties is still a top 10 revenue producer in the country and men's basketball top 5.

Now....there are warts, to be sure.  He's cheesy.  He seems to fit the "everybody gets a trophy" persona.  BUT..he did fire Tom Crean because results weren't happening and I think he does know men's basketball has to win. But let's not hold him accountable for being a terrible athletic director.    He's far from it.

6 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Okay, let's boil this down.   When Archie was hired, many people here and elsewhere lauded it because he was thought of as a great and young up and coming coach.   He may still be, despite this season's record.   How can you take what Archie has done (with ONE recruiting class of his own), criticize the roster, which is still largely Crean's, and extrapolate that into "what a terrible athletic director?"

This roster was flawed, injured, and exposed when Phinisee went down.  There is a long explanation of that sentence, but I've already explained in another thread.   Has nothing to do with Fred Glass.   He didn't hire Crean.

Listen, I hate the athlete bill of rights.   It's ridiculous and paralyzing to coaches.  I hate the kumbaya attitude and that there doesn't seem to be a priority on winning in the major sports.   But here are some facts :

1)  Even in football, Indiana is bringing in better players than ever before.  This 2019 recruiting class is its highest ranked in school history.

2)  Last year, for the 6th consecutive year, Indiana set its own graduation success rate.  91% of our athletes graduate.   Fans may not prioritize that, but the powers that be do.  And Indiana had perfect scores in 2018 in 10 sports.  Including men's basketball.

3)  This coming season, Indiana will spend more on its football program than ever before.   For example, Kyle DeBoer will make more than any assistant coach at IU in any sport.

4)  For 5 seasons, Tom Crean led the Big Ten in recruiting spending and for 2 seasons was top 3 in the country.   Our coaches are supported with the resources they need.

5)  The baseball program is having unprecedented success in recent years,

6)  Women's basketball won the post-season NIT a year ago.

7)   Indiana has one of the best aquatics centers in the country and is nationally competitive in both men's and women's swimming and diving.

8)  Men's soccer remains nationally competitive year in and year out

9)  Women's softball - historically awful, is 25-6 and ranked #19 in the country right now.

10)   Indiana University has perhaps the most technologically advanced facilities in America.

11)   IU sports properties is still a top 10 revenue producer in the country and men's basketball top 5.

Now....there are warts, to be sure.  He's cheesy.  He seems to fit the "everybody gets a trophy" persona.  BUT..he did fire Tom Crean because results weren't happening and I think he does know men's basketball has to win. But let's not hold him accountable for being a terrible athletic director.    He's far from it.

If he was fired, would there be any interest from any other Big10 schools to hire him? any other Power 5 schools?

I'm well aware that my take is based purely on the success of the basketball team. But that is what he's judged on. The basketball team, not the other sports.