Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Lebowski

Bowl Projection

Just now, lucel15 said:

I wouldn’t mind Tennessee. Mainly because we haven’t shown great things against running QBs. Lol. Lynn Bowden (old IU verbal) is a force to be reckoned with. 

Fair point. If we beat Tennessee that would be much more impressive to the general population as well.

Fair point. If we beat Tennessee that would be much more impressive to the general population as well.

My Big Ten>SEC biased self is pretty confident we could takedown the Vols too. Outside of the SEC’s top 5 I think we could beat anyone in that conference.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

10 minutes ago, Bobman1 said:

My Big Ten>SEC biased self is pretty confident we could takedown the Vols too. Outside of the SEC’s top 5 I think we could beat anyone in that conference.

Vols vs IU would be fun for many reasons....their offense isn’t that prolific and their defense has been great lately. They sure have turned around a scary beginning. UK just has Lynn Bowden on offense and their defense can be super stout at times. But Lynn Bowden is an amazing athlete. Also for Vols matchup....we recruited a ton of kids that have gone there and have been on some in this class...now this game will come after signing part 1, but still would be fun to beat them. 

2 hours ago, Bobman1 said:

I give us maybe 30% against Tennessee. It would be a good test but they are way stacked talent wise compared to us. Nashville would be basically a home game for them. Id say 50/50 vs UK or Miss St.

On 12/1/2019 at 12:50 PM, lucel15 said:

I just don’t see how we get the quick lane bowl....mainly because maybe these publications didn’t look at records and just looked at teams that are qualified for bowls....or they just suck at their job because my understanding is that IU basically has little chance of getting quick lane. They can’t be leapfrogged by MSU or Illinois basked on their 6-6 records only way they would is if IU declined a bowl and they were given next shot. Quicklane shouldn’t be considered a destination. I’d say gator or music. 

I believe the whole leapfrogging based on record is done now....I know that the bowls used to have rankings in terms of the Big Ten teams (i.e, Big Ten #3, Big Ten #4, etc) but I don't believe that is the case.  Each bowl submits their preference of a team to the Big Ten if they are aligned with them and then the Big Ten assigns the teams.  Additionally, most of the bowls the Big Ten is aligned with have contracts that call for five different teams in six seasons.  For that reason, the Pinstripe Bowl and Redbox bowl (formerly Foster Farms) are less likely because IU has played there in the last six years.  The Quick Lane Bowl will certainly have Michigan State at the top of their list because of their proximity to Detroit and given that Michigan State isn't attractive a get this year, that bodes well for Indiana in that the Big Ten might see this as an opportunity not to waste a year putting Michigan State in a better bowl and losing them for that bowl in the next few years as Michigan State is likely to be more attractive in the coming years than this year.

The Gator Bowl makes sense, IMO.  Honestly I think the Quick Lane or Gator bowl are the most likely since we've been to the Redbox and Pinstripe.

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

I believe the whole leapfrogging based on record is done now....I know that the bowls used to have rankings in terms of the Big Ten teams (i.e, Big Ten #3, Big Ten #4, etc) but I don't believe that is the case.  Each bowl submits their preference of a team to the Big Ten if they are aligned with them and then the Big Ten assigns the teams.  Additionally, most of the bowls the Big Ten is aligned with have contracts that call for five different teams in six seasons.  For that reason, the Pinstripe Bowl and Redbox bowl (formerly Foster Farms) are less likely because IU has played there in the last six years.  The Quick Lane Bowl will certainly have Michigan State at the top of their list because of their proximity to Detroit and given that Michigan State isn't attractive a get this year, that bodes well for Indiana in that the Big Ten might see this as an opportunity not to waste a year putting Michigan State in a better bowl and losing them for that bowl in the next few years as Michigan State is likely to be more attractive in the coming years than this year.

The Gator Bowl makes sense, IMO.  Honestly I think the Quick Lane or Gator bowl are the most likely since we've been to the Redbox and Pinstripe.

Actually you are mistaken. The order isn't set in stone, but there is a pecking order and IU can't get passed over by Mich St or Illinois due to their records. From the Indystar: 

Under Big Ten practice, Indiana could not move ahead of a team more than one win better in bowl selection, so the Hoosiers cannot jump Penn State, Wisconsin or Minnesota.

The same is true going in the other direction — neither Illinois nor Michigan State, both of which are 6-6, can jump Indiana. That would appear to rule out both the Quick Lane Bowl (Detroit) and also a return to the Red Box Bowl (San Francisco/Santa Clara).  

5 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Actually you are mistaken. The order isn't set in stone, but there is a pecking order and IU can't get passed over by Mich St or Illinois due to their records. From the Indystar: 

Under Big Ten practice, Indiana could not move ahead of a team more than one win better in bowl selection, so the Hoosiers cannot jump Penn State, Wisconsin or Minnesota.

The same is true going in the other direction — neither Illinois nor Michigan State, both of which are 6-6, can jump Indiana. That would appear to rule out both the Quick Lane Bowl (Detroit) and also a return to the Red Box Bowl (San Francisco/Santa Clara).  

So Gator or Music City Bowl? Id be pleased with either.

3 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

Good info.  I do have a question more on what the order of bowls are in terms of selections.

On 12/3/2019 at 8:40 AM, Fkfootball1 said:

Tennessee isn’t that good. They are 7-5. They squeaked out wins against UK and Missouri. Got spanked by Alabama, Florida, Georgia. They really aren’t all that impressive. They also lost to BYU and freaking Georgia State!

They lost to those two teams early on. Which is honestly absolutely irrelevant now. 

Bama did not wax them.. I watched every min of that game and neither did UGA for the most part. 

That's great you can look at box scores. I watched the games. They played Georgia about the same as we played Michigan. 

On 12/2/2019 at 12:15 PM, Bobman1 said:

UT would be a TD favorite against on a neutral field. 

10 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

ESPNs latest is Detroit or NYC. Detroit would be a huge slap in the face. NYC, not splashy, but mediocre at best. 

Hard for.me to say they're both not slaps in the face.