Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

Extend Tom Allen

I could go for 1 year, possibly 2 added on and a moderate bump in pay.  Big extension?  Better chance of a good looking girl at Purdue.

If Tom Allen has another good season next year you better believe teams will come calling. Your 1 year extension will be meaningless to him. And like Brass said, it will prove to everyone including Tom Allen that the administration doesn’t care or believe in him. Then a big extension after next year will be too late in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, lucel15 said:

Nobody has ever said give him an 8 year extension (Big) . Or 6 year(big) I’ve said multiple times add on 2-3 more years and see if he can build his vision. He’s not gonna say glass give me million upon millions like brohm. He will ask for money incentives and raise for his staff but he will want more years and a sign of support for him 

I never said no extension either, my hang up is just how big of one.  Adding 2 million would move him between Fleck and Smith in B1G pay, but I can agree on bumping him higher than Smith since they were both hired in 2016 and Allen has a better record; the fact Allen is paid less than a coach Rutgers fired part of the way through the season is sad.  I'd add money for staff as well.

I would absolutely want to see an improvement in discipline though, that can lose games.

10 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I never said no extension either, my hang up is just how big of one.  Adding 2 million would move him between Fleck and Smith in B1G pay, but I can agree on bumping him higher than Smith since they were both hired in 2016 and Allen has a better record; the fact Allen is paid less than a coach Rutgers fired part of the way through the season is sad.  I'd add money for staff as well.

I would absolutely want to see an improvement in discipline though, that can lose games.

You don’t think the discipline problem has to do with youth?

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

You don’t think the discipline problem has to do with youth?

I have a hard time pinning it on youth solely.  Seems to be across the team regardless of experience and hasn't just been this year.

I say give him 3mil and big boost for assistants. Then go find a real defensive coordinator. Then make the existing practice facility into a state of the art facility with about every fancy bell and whistle you can have. You want to make money as an athletic department? Have a good football team.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

You have to extend. He has what 2 years left on original. It gets harder to recruit kids saying oh I have 2 years left I might be here I might not. You give him a 2-3 year extension and a raise. He’s done what people have asked but yet goalposts keep getting moved farther back and people still are mad and don’t want to keep him or support a raise....but basketball people want to name Archie Miller the guy because he can recruit Indiana. Well news flash people Tom Allen is trying to keep in state talent here....but he’s said it in press before...you don’t want to play here that’s fine we will go to Florida and get kids who want to play and we will beat you....well he beat Purdue. Northwestern. Nebraska whom we’ve lost kids to over the past classes. He’s recruiting at a high level and is building depth....you can have your opinion, but at least back it up by more than well I want to see good seasons....there’s more that goes into building consistency and Tom Allen is building it brick by brick. The roster was/is 72% underclass men who are experienced. You sit Freshmen when you can unless they are just too good....and build depth. He deserves a raise. His assistants deserve money. 

He definitely deserves a raise and an extension, but I have no clue how Archie Miller entered the discussion. You have always had a hate/jealous relationship with IU basketball, but comparing football recruiting in this state and the level of importance to basketball recruiting is just a bad comparison. Tom Allen could win with all walkons from Russia and nobody would give a damn as long as we win. We just want to win. But if you win at Indiana with a Trayce Jackson-Davis it will mean something to not only the fans but the boosters. I hope we keep doing what we are doing and the powers that be continue to move on capital projects for football exclusively. It doesn’t have to be a football vs basketball thing. They aren’t mutually exclusive. Never have been. Never will be. The thought processes that go into decisions have never been the same. Never have been. Never will be. Trying to use basketball as a way to prove a point for IU football is just illogical.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I say give him 3mil and big boost for assistants. Then go find a real defensive coordinator. Then make the existing practice facility into a state of the art facility with about every fancy bell and whistle you can have. You want to make money as an athletic department? Have a good football team.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

State of the art!!!  So that means ixnay the ropday eilingscay! 

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

He definitely deserves a raise and an extension, but I have no clue how Archie Miller entered the discussion. You have always had a hate/jealous relationship with IU basketball, but comparing football recruiting in this state and the level of importance to basketball recruiting is just a bad comparison. Tom Allen could win with all walkons from Russia and nobody would give a damn as long as we win. We just want to win. But if you win at Indiana with a Trayce Jackson-Davis it will mean something to not only the fans but the boosters. I hope we keep doing what we are doing and the powers that be continue to move on capital projects for football exclusively. It doesn’t have to be a football vs basketball thing. They aren’t mutually exclusive. Never have been. Never will be. The thought processes that go into decisions have never been the same. Never have been. Never will be. Trying to use basketball as a way to prove a point for IU football is just illogical.

I’ve talked about IU basketball maybe 3-5 times in recent months....I’m sorry I’ve struck a chord with you. I’m stating what I’ve seen and heard everywhere. Everyone loves miller for what he’s done in recruiting terms....Tom Allen just had one of the best season at IU. Yet you have people all over boards and the intranet saying well he hasn’t recruited well in state we need more guys here and well he didn’t beat anyone so no extension. So I brought it up because I’ve seen it and heard it ever since the extension talk started. So it was relevant to my argument that this staff is bringing in the same or not better recruits that we’ve ever seen at IU on a consistent basis. I’m not jealous of basketball but continue to think that. I do not enjoy watching basketball. I watch during the tournament to be a degenerate and bet. I was a wrestler in hs. Do I wish IU football had more of a history and tradition sure....but if you wanna make you sound so big and bad by saying I’m jealous or hateful towards basketball....okay. You win, but Ah never-mind. Ive obviously hit a chord and for that I’m not sorry. I think I’ve been fair....I’ve never said death to the basketball team like you make it sound....I want the team to succeed and win....I just want the football team to do it as well as I’m more invested in that sport. I’m a fan of all IU sports just football more....so do I hate IU basketball nope am I jealous of them nah not really just wish the football team had support and tradition. Should football be given time to build for once yeah....should they like how recent IU coaches have been treated....probably if you want IU football to actually find a foundation to build something. So yeah I’m vocal that I think IU football gets the short end. Now we are off topic and I’ll stop. But I’m the bad guy got it. 

I’ve talked about IU basketball maybe 3-5 times in recent months....I’m sorry I’ve struck a chord with you. I’m stating what I’ve seen and heard everywhere. Everyone loves miller for what he’s done in recruiting terms....Tom Allen just had one of the best season at IU. Yet you have people all over boards and the intranet saying well he hasn’t recruited well in state we need more guys here and well he didn’t beat anyone so no extension. So I brought it up because I’ve seen it and heard it ever since the extension talk started. So it was relevant to my argument that this staff is bringing in the same or not better recruits that we’ve ever seen at IU on a consistent basis. I’m not jealous of basketball but continue to think that. I do not enjoy watching basketball. I watch during the tournament to be a degenerate and bet. I was a wrestler in hs. Do I wish IU football had more of a history and tradition sure....but if you wanna make you sound so big and bad by saying I’m jealous or hateful towards basketball....okay. You win, but Ah never-mind. Ive obviously hit a chord and for that I’m not sorry. I think I’ve been fair....I’ve never said death to the basketball team like you make it sound....I want the team to succeed and win....I just want the football team to do it as well as I’m more invested in that sport. I’m a fan of all IU sports just football more....so do I hate IU basketball nope am I jealous of them nah not really just wish the football team had support and tradition. Should football be given time to build for once yeah....should they like how recent IU coaches have been treated....probably if you want IU football to actually find a foundation to build something. So yeah I’m vocal that I think IU football gets the short end. Now we are off topic and I’ll stop. But I’m the bad guy got it. 

No I am trying to say you are trying to compare since something happened in basketball it should create a pass in football. At Indiana. It doesn’t work like that. There are reasons why the boosters love it and CAM is recruiting the way he is. This is like saying since the football program at Notre Dame does something it’s ok for the basketball team. There are explicit differences between the basketball and football programs. If you can’t see that I don’t know what to say. It’s not as personal and dramatic as what you are making it.

Edit: This is coming from one of Tom Allen’s bigger defenders on this board. He should be extended. There should be more football only upgrades.

8 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

No I am trying to say you are trying to compare since something happened in basketball it should create a pass in football. At Indiana. It doesn’t work like that. There are reasons why the boosters love it and CAM is recruiting the way he is. This is like saying since the football program at Notre Dame does something it’s ok for the basketball team. There are explicit differences between the basketball and football programs. If you can’t see that I don’t know what to say. It’s not as personal and dramatic as what you are making it.

Edit: This is coming from one of Tom Allen’s bigger defenders on this board. He should be extended. There should be more football only upgrades.

I know football will never be at the same level and I know a football coach will never be paid what a b-ball coach is paid. But I was stating there should be support when a coach does well at IU and he’s doing even better on the recruiting trail and actually building depth. Many believed he would fail this year and even tho the teams he beat didn’t have great records....he did what was asked and he won games we would’ve lost in the past. I’m stating reasons for an extension and others I’ve seen have said he hasn’t kept in state talent in...... so I brought up basketball and Archie...I realize basketball recruiting the state says more because that’s what IUBB fans are brought up on and cream couldn’t recruit anyone to stay home really, but allen has hit home runs and steals from Florida which are typically better than in state recruits, it’s not necessarily coming from this board, but others are upset with misses from this staff on other sites and intranets....yet it gets overlooked and talked down on....so I brought up basketball in that sense. Then you threw in the you’re jealous/hateful towards iubb....of course I’m going to react the way I just did....

fwiw I wish nothing but success for IUBB 

5 hours ago, Aeggie said:

You think this is the only "easy" schedule IU has had in the last 26 years? Somehow Allen was the only one to actually go and win eight games in all that time, and we didn't have to play Ohio State, Michigan, AND Penn State every year for most of that stretch.

The people complaining about who we beat have totally lost the plot. No one ever brings up who we beat when we last won 8 games in 1993. They're not going to talk about it with this team either. Indiana has won 9 games only twice. Ever. Against all sorts of schedules. And people are spitting in the face of 8 wins? Get some perspective, please!

Can you read? I gave Allen credit for winning those games. Those that downplay the fact we beat zero teams with a winning record lack the perspective. The schedule came to us in a big way and it wont be that way moving forward. So when you are talking about giving a coach an extension yeah it matters who we beat.