Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs SDSU 11/30 @ 4 pm BTN+

Ugly ugly ugly. No positives from this game except that the real season is about to start, and TJD! This game just started out bad when Franklin thought this game was his personal shooting gallery. He needs to head straight to Cook Hall and get up about 500 more shots. None of the 500 he took today looked any good.

Just finished watching the entire game. South Dakota State has been a very good offensive team this year, even against high-level competition.Thought our perimeter defense and help on the drivers was absolutely fantastic today.

On offense today? We were a complete hot mess. Very sloppy with the ball. The game sped up too much for Franklin today. He’s going to be a really good one, but he’s starting to hit the freshman wall a bit.

20 minutes ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Ugly ugly ugly. No positives from this game except that the real season is about to start, and TJD! This game just started out bad when Franklin thought this game was his personal shooting gallery. He needs to head straight to Cook Hall and get up about 500 more shots. None of the 500 he took today looked any good.

By the looks of the box score, we shot 41% as a team.  He better not be by himself in there.  4 of 5 starters missed at least 5 shots and it sounded on the radio like a whole lot were short.  I wonder if they worked out hard this morning?

19 turnovers is ridiculous.  Team effort obviously, but Green, our most experienced player, had 4 again.  Can't have it.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The game sped up too much for Franklin today. He’s going to be a really good one, but he’s starting to hit the freshman wall a bit.

I won’t be watching today’s game until later tonight. So I freely stipulate that I’m talking out of my a** a little here. But I think the point you make about Franklin is an important thing to keep in mind. He might have exceeded some expectations so far, but if Phinisee and Green had been healthy all fall he’d be playing 8 mins a game and certainly wouldn’t be getting significant minutes against an FSU. He’s not ready to be a rotation guy yet. But his time will come. 

6 minutes ago, Demo said:

I won’t be watching today’s game until later tonight. So I freely stipulate that I’m talking out of my a** a little here. But I think the point you make about Franklin is an important thing to keep in mind. He might have exceeded some expectations so far, but if Phinisee and Green had been healthy all fall he’d be playing 8 mins a game and certainly wouldn’t be getting significant minutes against an FSU. He’s not ready to be a rotation guy yet. But his time will come. 

Disagree only in the role he's been asked to play.   He's a rotation guy defensively and gets the ball to scorers better than anyone we have healthy  right now.  He's not really a shooter.  More a slasher and cutter.  When everyone's healthy and in their roles, I think his will change and he'll fit a little better.   We don't have a true point guard right now.   We're playing with 3 guys who have the same type of game as Ben Gordon had...combo.  Interested in seeing how things shake out when people are in the right positions.   On the positive side, Franklin has a better than 2:1 A/TO ratio, which is much better than a couple of far more experienced players playing a similar role.

20 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

By the looks of the box score, we shot 41% as a team.  He better not be by himself in there.  4 of 5 starters missed at least 5 shots and it sounded on the radio like a whole lot were short.  I wonder if they worked out hard this morning?

19 turnovers is ridiculous.  Team effort obviously, but Green, our most experienced player, had 4 again.  Can't have it.

Agreed. It just seemed that Franklin thought out of the gate that he was supposed to be the team shooter today. He came out chuckn' and missed 3 of the teams first 4 shots. Alot of turnovers wasn't the passes, it was the butterfingers down in the post. DD couldn't catch a cold today. But, they do need to work on the entry passes to the post and getting the cutters the ball in the right places.

8 minutes ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Agreed. It just seemed that Franklin thought out of the gate that he was supposed to be the team shooter today. He came out chuckn' and missed 3 of the teams first 4 shots. Alot of turnovers wasn't the passes, it was the butterfingers down in the post. DD couldn't catch a cold today. But, they do need to work on the entry passes to the post and getting the cutters the ball in the right places.

Could have been the game plan. Sounded like the play out of halftime was designed for him.  I could write a book on how I feel about our entry passes for the last few years.  But a couple of guys would have a heart attack arguing with me about it,

It wasn’t even about the shots. The offense as a whole was non existent. No movement. Our shot selection was atrocious. The shots they were taking I am honestly surprised we hit 41%. Then we had wide open layups that didn’t hit the rim. Our freshman PG taking 3’s on multiple possessions early in the shot clock. Al not making good decisions with the ball. Then you had your freshman future lottery pick carrying the team to the win. Doing it at both ends of the court. The offense as a whole needs to be better Tuesday for us to have a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

59 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Thank goodness for TJD. He is IU’s best player. Zeller-like impact and even better on the boards. Unfortunately the rest of the roster isn’t as good as that 11-12 team’s.

Gradman finding some positive Holiday Spirit!!! It fits you well - run w it!!!

11 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

It wasn’t even about the shots. The offense as a whole was non existent. No movement. Our shot selection was atrocious. The shots they were taking I am honestly surprised we hit 41%. Then we had wide open layups that didn’t hit the rim. Our freshman PG taking 3’s on multiple possessions early in the shot clock. Al not making good decisions with the ball. Then you had your freshman future lottery pick carrying the team to the win. Doing it at both ends of the court. The offense as a whole needs to be better Tuesday for us to have a chance.

I haven't seen the game yet, so I'll live it through the eyes of others.  I just saw the box score and listened to the second half.

I’ve seen too many of these types of performances for my liking. People talk about the injuries last year but regardless there were plenty of games where we just flat out didn’t show up and just went through the motions. I took a group to the game in Evanston and almost left early - zero effort/discipline

This team just really needs a healthy, 100% Phinisee. He’s the one true point guard on the roster, and while they’ve done a great job holding the fort down, as the competition rises a healthy Phinisee pushes Durham and Franklin into the roles better suited for them. 

Durham should be in Franklin’s role (secondary ball handler, combo guard) and Franklin should be a pesky defender, smart offensive player off the bench. 

Some guy posted this on twitter and it couldn’t be more true about IU fans sometimes... LOL

“Missed both the IU football and basketball games today but I did follow the #iufb and #iubb hashtags on twitter. It sucks we lost both games by 30 point”

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Honestly this was the least complained in game thread I have seen all season for basketball. Football? That is another story. The basketball game was just one of them games. We got up ten in a quick burst. Then we stayed in the same range for most of the rest of the game. It wasn’t really ever in doubt. I think the Tuesday crowd will help out.

Honestly this was the least complained in game thread I have seen all season for basketball. Football? That is another story. The basketball game was just one of them games. We got up ten in a quick burst. Then we stayed in the same range for most of the rest of the game. It wasn’t really ever in doubt. I think the Tuesday crowd will help out.

I think the only reason there wasn’t a lot of complaints on the board is everyone paid for one month of BTN+ to watch the first 3 games but no one wanted to re-up for the second month for just this game so a lot of people didn’t see it but might be wrong